Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Timewave DSP-9 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave DSP-9
Timewave DSP-9 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $219.99 c.1995
Description: DSP noise filter
More info: http://www.timewave.com/dsp9.html

You can write your own review of the Timewave DSP-9.

WA4053SWL Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
The best Timewave DSP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had two models of this filter, more this one, and this one is the best to receive low and intelligible signs, in SSB for example, It kills the disagreeable tones in the bands very well, I recommend it.
73 to all

IZ2CED Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2007 04:22 Send this review to a friend
DSP-9 with Drake TR-4C  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find this filter very useful on a Drake TR-4C rig. In CW gives a big help (because the TR-4C doesn't have a crystal filter for CW).
I also find very useful the automatic notch filter to remove out the little hum I have from the power supply unit, making the listening more pleasant.

73 IZ2CED Maurizio.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2006 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Good for its price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these units a few years ago and used it with a Kenwood TS430 and Alinco DX70TH. It is a good buy for what they sell for used today ($60). It did a decent job of removing noise, and the bandpass filtering worked pretty good. You have to be careful that you set the audio into it at the correct level, which is something that you don't have to do with built in DSP units. It makes a nice addition to older non-dsp rigs when some noise reduction is needed.

WA7BOC Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2006 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Easy on the ears!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit was picked up off of e-bay. It arrived in the original box with original manual.
I use the unit with a Heathkit SB-303, also procured through e-bay (a real gem!)
It made a wonderful addition to the 303 as per all previous comments presented in the reviews previous to mine. No need to repeat. Just wanted to present a recent review.
A great addition to the shack.
My main station is a K2 with DSP.

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2004 01:05 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There may be better DSP units available. In fact there almost certainly are. But this one works very well. Considering the typical cost of a used DSP-9, it's a real bargain.

My transceiver has excellent IF filtering. But I still find the DSP-9 to be a worthwhile addition!

On SSB I particularly enjoy the noise and the hetrodyne (tone) reduction/elimination. Especially the latter. I frequently hear someone complain of a "tuner-upper" that I don't hear until I turn off the filter. It's not selectivity, it's the notch (tone) function. The noise reduction function often simply removes ALL of the background noise, leaving the selected SSB signal sounding AM-like.

On CW the selectivity is astounding! On the narrowest setting I quickly learned that a lot stations working each other are NOT on the same frequency. The filter can be set so narrow that you have to tune the station you want to work THEN turn on the filter. If you just call CQ, then listen on your frequency you'll miss a lot of calls. It's much tighter than my Icom 250 Hz filter.

A word of caution, however. The DSP-9 manual says it requires 12v. at 1 amp. That's NOT .99 amp. Don't even think of using a wallwart, even if rated at 1000 mils (1 amp). The wart will run very hot and the DSP unit just won't work very well. I suspect the manual understates the power requirements. I use a 13.8 v. 3 amp RS supply and everything's fine.

KG6JSL Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2003 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a Timewave DSP 9 at a hamfest for $40.00. I had to fabricate the connections, but no problem. This works great, expecially on cw. I have a noisy QTH and now I can hear again.

KG6RJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2002 13:00 Send this review to a friend
DSP on a budget  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a used DSP-9 off e-bay. Never having owned a rig with DSP or an external DSP unit I had no idea what to expect. Boy, was I surprised!

The DSP-9 uses DSP technology for random noise reduction, heterodyne elimination and bandpass filtering.

I use the DSP-9 with my Alinco DX-70T. I use a ground-mounted vertical that can be fairly noisy at times. The random noise reduction on the DSP-9 does a great job of reducing both atmospheric and man-made noises. Signals that couldn't be copied easily or at all without NR usually become armchair copy with it.

The tone reduction setting does a great job reducing annoying heterodynes and other tones. It operates very quickly and even adapts to shifting tones although a slight chirp may be heard as the tone shifts. Very nice when the tuner-uppers key up on frequency.

Although my DX-70T has built-in wide and narrow filters, the outboard bandpass filters in the DSP-9 are useful. It provides 1.8, 2.4 and 3.1 kHz bandpass for SSB and 100, 200 and 500 Hz bandpass
for CW. I've found them to be a nice addition during contest weekends or other crowded conditions.

The Timewave unit is very easy to operate and quite an effective AF DSP unit. Although IF DSP would be better, the DSP-9 is a great way to get DSP at a budget price. I picked mine up for about $45.

Timewave has replaced the DSP-9 with the DSP-9+ and later the DSP-599zx, which retails for nearly $400. You can have a better DSP unit with more controls for a lot more money but if your need is for basic DSP, you can't go wrong with the DSP-9.

KG8ZH Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2001 16:23 Send this review to a friend
OUT OF PRODUCTION, BUT A GREAT HAMFEST BARGAIN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried this unit on several different rigs, and it works great on CW and not bad on SSB. One of my favorite features is the noise reduction. It cuts noise and still mantains good selectivity.

I don't think that any AF DSP can replace a good IF filter weather it's XTAL IF or IF DSP, but
the narrow filters on the Timewave are a nice supplement to a good narrow IF filter. Both of my HF rigs have narrow Xtal 500hz CW filters in the IF, but under very busy conditions 500hz isn't enough. The Timewave can get you down to 100hz if needed

I have an Icom rig with built in AF DSP too, but in some cases, the Timewave box works better. So I keep it inline with the Icom.

K0BZV Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2001 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a DSP-9 used. No instruction manual
but the timewave web-page took care of that. Put
it on my SG-2020 QRP rig and got all set for CW.
The DSP-9 really improved the operation and, in
conjunction with the SCAF in the '2020, made for
most enjoyable operation. I would definitely get
another one for my Ten-Tec QRP station if one is
available at the local hamfest.

W4HAB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2000 17:01 Send this review to a friend
very effective unit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my DSP-9 for many years. This was the first DSP filter Timewave made. I have had it stored away ever since purchasing my first DSP rig in the mid 90's. I now run an Icom 775DSP rig and also a Kenwood TS-570DG. I thought I would pull the old DSP-9 out of storage and put on line with my 775DSP. I compared the DSP randon noise performance with the onboard 775DSP random noise function. In most but not all cases the DSP-9 does a better job of reducing random noise! I am going to keep it online.