Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Engineering MBVE-1 Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering MBVE-1
DX Engineering MBVE-1 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$299.50
Description: The DX Engineering MBVE-1 is a fast taper, high performance 160 thru 10 meter vertical multi-band antenna that is tunable to operate with an SWR of 1.5:1 or less. Tuning is accomplished by using a DX Engineering 4:1 UN-43 UNUN with coax feed and your in- shack wide-range tuner - or by installing an automatic tuner at the base of the antenna.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search?keyword=dxe-mbve-1&dds=1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering MBVE-1.

K2JL Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2017 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the package with the MFJ remote tuner in March of 2016. Procrastination, laziness and intimidation kept me from assembling it until October 2017. I decided to start the assembly while trying to make room in my shack (where the box still sat). I've been off the air for about 5 years after a snow storm took out my TA-33. Rather than repair, I had the antenna and tower taken down as well. I made the choice on the MBVE after exhaustive research into simple yet effective systems. I don't climb so another beam was out of the question. I would say start to finish the planning, assembly, guying and laying 16 65ft radials took about 8 hours (which I spread out over several days after work). I do plan on laying more radials soon.

Initial testing proves this was definitely a worthwhile purchase. It receives very well on all bands. The MFJ-927 tunes fine on all bands 160-10 with no difficulty. I've made limited QSOs so far but reports have been good from several continents. I plan on smoke testing it in the upcoming CQWWDX CW contest.

The antenna is lightweight and raises / lowers quite easily. I mounted to a 1.75" OD galvanized pipe to the DXE ground radial plate. I laid the radials and secured to the ground with about 3-4 staples each from the DXE kit.

So far I am very pleased with the DXE-MBVE-5AT. My only regret was waiting so long to get it on the air!

W6OU Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2017 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When you assemble this antenna you should inspect the hose clamps carefully. Some of the clamps appear identical even when they are actually slightly different in clamp size.

The tilt base allows me to erect or take down the antenna easily by myself. With the appropriate accessory tuner mounting kit, I installed the MFJ-998RT remote antena tuner at the base of the antenna. I tried it with a direct connection between the tuner and the vertical and it would not tune on 160M and the tuner went into an arc fault on 80M at 1500W. Since I was mainly interested in 80M, I added a loading coil between the tuner and the antenna and it now works fine on 80M at 1500W. It would probably tune on 160M with a larger loading coil.

It's nice to install an antenna without climbing off the ground or requiring assistance.

N6EB Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2017 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Best Vertical I ever owned!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I moved to Oklahoma from California aprox. six months ago. The first thing I noticed was the high winds we have here in Hughes county. I brought with me my KT-34M2 beam but was afraid of destroying it in the high winds we have here. I have already experienced 60 mph winds. I purchased the DX Engineering 43ft vertical package complete with unun balun and radial plate. Install was easy but one hose clamp was to small and I had to replace. I guyed the vertical using a four point guy system. I installed 34-32ft radials and 4-65ft radials. The antenna loads all bands from 160-10 meters using a MFJ-989D tuner.
I am working DX from all over the world and hearing better than the beam in CA. I plan on adding the MFJ remote 1500 watt tuner next. I am impressed with the performance of this antenna and the quality of construction backed up by performance. Antenna has already came thru 45 mph winds no problem. I have been licensed since 1957 and I rate this one of the best antennas I have owned. I know I will get many years of operating with this antenna and yes I would purchase again if a tornado takes it out.

KF5KBZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2017 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded Expectations  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed over 3 years ago with 20 32' radials with 130' of LMR 400 to an MFJ tuner in the shack. I live in an HOA so I put up only when I am using and disconnect and hang on a long landscaping wall when not. I have made contacts on every band 10 - 160. Its holding up great and I finally have an antenna that gets on all bands. Worth every penny.

K5DHL Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2016 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this 43' antenna and am very happy with it. This past w/e I had great results on 80m & 160m, better than ever before. I took up the radials during the summer when the tree crew came thru to clean up my forest... and lack of rads in my Oklahoma soil (very red dirt) made virtually no perceived difference in contacts....

Doug K5DHL

WB8ZPN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna I have!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well not much on writing reviews but this one I have to.
I purchased this off Ebay. To my surprise it was complete and did not look like it was out in the weather very long. I have had it on line now for about 2 months, and WOW what a difference. Europe South America and VK land all in one day. I did switch from the BW 1.8 to 30 mhz folded dipole and the g5rv. The wire antennas did not even hear them.
I currently have about 20 radials out most are 65 feet there is a few less the house is in the way.

The noise levels are like half of what the wire antennas are.
Today I was on 20 hear a net on the west coast the wires never heard them.

I have plans to add some more radials maybe another 5 to see if there is any improvement.

So far if you don't have one look at this type of antenna.

W6LMP Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Always Pointed in the Right Direction!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my review in mid-2010 when I had owned / used it about six months. I have the DXE-MBVE-1-3ATP (the remote tuner package). It still works as described in my original review at the end of 100' of coax. However, the MFJ 927 Remote "IntelliTuner" did fail on a couple of bands after two and half years. After re-setting it several times I replaced it with a new MFJ 927. That one is still working fine (fingers crossed). You can see the installation on my QRZ. I have 53 radials ranging up to 65" and no mowing problems. I'm still very impressed with how well it works DX with only 200 watts.

W3SCA Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I posted a review about a month ago and I wanted to come back because I have been using this vertical almost exclusively now since then. I cant say enough good things about this antenna! It has actually out performed my Alpha Delta DX-CC in almost all cases.

If you are looking for a vertical, this is worth every $$. The only problem area I had was near the top section, I think section 3 near the top, the clamps were too small and would not close around the tubing. I had to run out to the auto parts store to get a slightly bigger clamp.

Also if you are worried about radials, don't be. I put down 16 20' radials and couldn't use the full length on a few and the antenna is working extremely well!

Built the base section in my basement in one night and the rest of the antenna outside in about 4 hours.

I would highly suggest to follow the directions and run the full 150' of RG-213 for tuning purposes..

73, W3SCA

VE7WCP Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 09:00 Send this review to a friend
The Best Vertical in the World!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this vertical antenna mainly as a back-up to our station here.

First, the packaging was superb. All the parts were itemized clearly so that assembly was absolutely no effort at all.

Secondly, the quality and workmanship of the product is outstanding.

Thirdly, quite simply, it works! Followed their instructions perfectly and we are now even operating on 160 meters. I had my doubts about this band as well as 80 meters because of not being able to get the "perfect" radial system in place for this antenna.

Conclusion, if you are looking for a vertical antenna, this is THE one!

73, Marc
VE7WCP

WI5O Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2015 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Review Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
My original review for the DX-Engineering 43 Foot Vertical was on Nov. 4, 2009. I have now owned the vertical antenna for 5 years and 3 months. During that time the antenna was guyed with black heavy nylon line. No other guying was needed, even during some pretty strong wind storms over this period. I never upgraded the coax to 150 feet of RG-213. I kept my 70 + feet of LMR-400 connected to the patch panel on the outside of the home and an additional 6 feet inside the station to the back of the manual Palstar tuner.

The antenna construction has held up amazingly well with no corrosion or rust on any of the parts, a testament to DX-Engineering quality parts. The 4:1 UNUN has held up with operation from 100 watts to about 700 watts PEP a few times.

I have not used the antenna to transmit on 80 and 160. I don't think this antenna can be beneficial on these lower bands but others say differently.

The radials have presented somewhat of a problem because I have had to roll them up, all 40 of them each time I mow. Grass does not grow well where the antenna is mounted. Aggravating to keep moving and rolling back out. But the alternative is no ground.

In summary, this antenna has stood the test of over 5 years of use and weather extremely well. Keep in mind it is an unbalanced antenna and the take off angles are not good on all bands so don't expect it to be a DX monster on all bands. It does work great on 40 meters - 17 meters for me. It is still an omnidirectional vertical and picks up noise as well as the signal!

Would I still buy it after five years of owning it? Sure, it has been quite dependable and the parts were of quality construction!