Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Engineering MBVE-1 Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering MBVE-1
DX Engineering MBVE-1 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$299.50
Description: The DX Engineering MBVE-1 is a fast taper, high performance 160 thru 10 meter vertical multi-band antenna that is tunable to operate with an SWR of 1.5:1 or less. Tuning is accomplished by using a DX Engineering 4:1 UN-43 UNUN with coax feed and your in- shack wide-range tuner - or by installing an automatic tuner at the base of the antenna.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search?keyword=dxe-mbve-1&dds=1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering MBVE-1.

NG0Z Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 09:23 Send this review to a friend
A Lot of Work but Worth It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the MBVE-1 with the Balun Kit, the Radial Plate and Hardware Kits and the prescribed 150' of RG213 as well as all of the radial wire, radial staples, anti-seize, conduction paste and etc. from DX Engineering. In other words, I followed all of their recommendations for the proper installation and performance of this antenna, with only one exception: I don't have the space for the optimal 32 65-foot radials.

I have 40 16-32 footers and four 75 footers in four separate directions including one that goes 60' into the lake we live on, for a total of 1300 feet of radials in the grass. I also have an 8' copper-plated ground rod next to the antenna with a tinned copper strap to the radial plate for added grounding and partial lightning protection.

The antenna was not hard to put together and the support DXE provides is excellent if you are patient.

I run the antenna with an LDG AT1000 ProII Autotuner and an Ameritron ALS-600 Amp. See my QRZ log since May 11 and you can see my results. Stateside my dipole does a little better but for DX this antenna definitely gives me a boost and it (surprisingly) is quieter on receive too. If I can hear them, I can work them and usually I get a better report than I can give them.

I can tune it better than 1.7 almost everywhere now; 17M the tuner isn't even required. I am doubtful that this can be considered a great 160M antenna as tuning it there is tough on some parts of the band.

The required 150' is a drawback as you need it whether the antenna is that far away or not, and you can't coil up the excess coax either, so you need to be able to lay it out somehow which is a hassle.

This is a high-SWR design so don't buy this antenna if you can't follow all of the requirements in detail and don't have a very robust antenna tuner.

I bought it as a backup to my 200' NI4L dipole in case the winter ice and snow took it down but now I use the MBVE-1 vertical as my primary antenna - at least until I put up a tower and a beam.

Check out my QRZ site for some pictures of the antenna. It's an impressive, gleaming and elegant antenna design that can also easily be disguised for those of you with stealth requirements.

Email me if you have any questions.

NG0Z

KU4YW Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
MBVE-1, MFJ-993B, Radial System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced my Step BigIR with the MBVE-1, MFJ-993B Tuner, DXE Balun, Radial Plate and Pre-cut radials (20).

The first day of operation 4 of the first 5 QSO's were DX and I achieved 62 QSOs overall in first day. As soon as I turned on my Icom IC-746 and IC-706 I knew I made the correct decision.

Installation was straight forward and rather easy. My antenna is 90' away from my home so utilizing the recommended 150' of coax is not a problem.

My shack is on the second floor of my home so I installed an 8' ground rod at the antenna and at the coax exit point of my home (ground level).

Thus far, first weekend of use - I am very pleased with this antenna system...hears better than my Step BigIR.

AB9RY Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2013 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the MBVE-5 package with the safe-t-tilt base, unun and the stainless radial plate. I replaced an MFJ 2990 43 foot vertical which had been a "fair" performer. The DX Engineering offering is simply incredible. Due to the way our house is situated, I am not able to have a good radial array. I have 20 mostly too short radials but with an external tuner I am able to tune everything from 10-160. I did not anticipate that I would be able to get any use below 60m so it is indeed a big bonus to be able to tune 80 and 160. It is a great 40m dx antenna and usually outperforms the ocf dipole. There are other good ones out there, but this one is outstanding and DX Engineering is a fine, honest and helpful company to do business with.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance !  Time owned: more than 12 months
With the caveat that it is the spring DX season and propagation is always iffy, I have to say that in the two March DX competitions, I found that this ground-mounted DXE vertical more often than not bested the SteppIR 3 element vertical at 35 feet above the house. Certainly the low-angle radiation pattern is at work here, but for the $$ invested in this antenna, radial plate, balun and radial field, it is certainly a winner on 40-20-17 meters. Your mileage, of course, might vary. On the obverse side, I can't load this bugger on 75 no matter what.

I no sooner posted the previous review before I received a great email from Bob at DX Engineering, offering to help with my "can't load on 75" problem. By extending the feedline from 75 feet to 150 feet, I can now not only easily load up on 75, but I've been able to work stations on 160 as well ! New band for me ! BIG THANKS to Bob and the gang at DX Engineering for their help, thoughtful suggestions, and quick solutions. I've always loved to deal with the guys at DXE, but this great experience truly exceeds any expectations I ever could have had !

W0MAS Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Very surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased and installed the DX MBVE -5
with the saf-T-tilt base ($198.00) Ive read many reviews and was also considering the S9 43' vertical which is about the same price. I went with the MBVE-5 as it seemed a higher quality kit. After opening the boxes I was pleasantly surpised at the quality of the parts !
I must add the reason for looking at the verticals was due to limitations for putting up dipoles.....(I currently have a low mounted dipole) in comparison on the air on 40m the vertical was 2 S units better than the low dipole.
So if you have limitations for mounting antennas this is a good solution. I followed DX Engineerings recomendations with 150' 213U and the UNUN. Been able to work 160m at last !
This is not the end all do all big gun antenna but for hams with limited options I give it a high mark.

LA8VSA Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2012 10:05 Send this review to a friend
My log on QRZ.COM speaks for itself.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imported this antenna from DX ENGINEERING about 2 years ago.-Delivery and service from DXE was superb.
Mounted the antenna 100% from the manual, and had
a hard job to put about 700m with radials in the ground.
Now i use this antenna with a PALSTAR AT2K tuner.
I use all bands without problem.
Last winter we had a hurricane here, but the antenna stands like nothing happen.
Big beams and towers is not possible here because i live in a city area.
If i hear a station, the station hear me..
Simple like that.

AG2AA Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 08:05 Send this review to a friend
quick delivery and great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a DX Engineering MBVE-1-3ATP HF Multi-Band Vertical/Remote Tuner Package plus radial plate, and pre-assembled 65' radials. The setup arrived in a couple of days (Buffalo is fairly close to Ohio, even for ground shipments). There were several boxes, and everything was well packaged and arrived without damage.

The assembly was fairly straightforward. I was replacing an existing, smaller, ground mounted vertical antenna so my mounting pipe was already in place. The instructions provided for each component were pretty good, but an overall "do things in this order" sheet would have been helpful for a newbie. The system came with sufficient parts to put everything together. Only one trip to my parts box for a screw clamp for one of the medium sized antenna sections that seemed to be the wrong size as provided.

I did replace my existing DC blocked poly-phaser with a DC pass protector so the remote tuner would work. Its an easy thing to miss but crucial for success!

With the antenna attached to the tilt base, the antenna went right up with one person. I re-used my existing guy ropes and anchors so that was easy. Before I even attached the radials I was pretty excited to see how it heard.

In the shack, I spun around the bands a little, it seems to be hearing pretty well. The remote tuner is working fine. On 17M SSB, I hear a station in Kuwait with quite a pile up. On the third call I was able to work him with 100W. 9K2OD in the log. Then I think - that is without the radials!

At this point I have 8 radials set, I will do some more once the grass cutting season is over and the snow can pack them down.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase and the performance of the antenna.

KI4RGD Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2012 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Update to previous review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Success! With DX tech support we figured out (for my QTH) that the 150ft of RG213 should be measured from the feedpoint to the back of the "external tuner" in the shack..... I had measured 150ft of RG213 out in the yard and then attached the coax to my pass-thru panel at the window where I had an additional 28ft of RG213 in the office... That extra 28ft was throwing everything off and my LDG-600pro was NOT happy! I know this may only apply to my situation (QTH) - but its worth mentioning. In fact, when they say 150ft - they mean just that! No 3 foot jumpers either! I wonder if I could have used 122ft outside and kept the 28ft inside??

Now, I can tune up all across 10m - 160m. Of course, my LDG-600pro gets a work-out on 160m - still, it gives me a passing SWR around 1.9MHz. Which is okay and now I can play on that band!!

I also re-measured the antenna while tilted over and discovered it was two inches short of 43ft, maybe not a big deal! The manual suggests moving the last "tube" for fine adjustments....

I have installed a few more 65ft radials; a few striaght across the yard, a few that bend this way and that.... That brings my radial count up to thirty-eight 30ft and six 65ft - and about a gazzillion yard staples holding all that wire down.. I haven't dare'd mow yet...holding my breath.

Again - the MBVE is a great antenna and I'm very satisfied with it and DX tech support. The DX guys have been very professional and friendly. I would highly recomend this antenna (and other DX stuff) to a friend...

Sorry about posting twice! I'm a nut.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 08:01 Send this review to a friend
One of the Better Verticals  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading positive reviews on DX-Engineering and their products, I purchased the kit with the vertical, UNUN ,and mounting system. It arrived promptly after I placed the order on their web page. The first thing that impressed me was the weight and design of the antenna, all solid SS construction. I had owned previous a Mississippi produced vertical that Katrina took down in 05. No comparison to the quality and material.

The antenna assembled easily, and instructions are detailed and quite clear. I used Pentox, tape, and clear waterproof spray on joints and connections.Owing to unique tilt over mechanism , I was able to walk the antenna up and down by myself.

The antenna is fed through a tuner and RG213 I purchased from DXE also, and no problems with any of the products.I only have four radials in the ground (based on K5AZUs radial system), but plan to put more in shortly.

I use the vertical on 80 and 40 and will update my review after further testing

KI7YY Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 04:34 Send this review to a friend
Great for a small lot  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Recently we moved to a small lot with no trees (not uncommon here in Wyoming) and I assumed that my antenna situation was dire. Having been a ham for better than 30 years I knew not to expect much from a vertical.
The documentation is great technical writing and I had no problem getting this antenna up and running with the help of my grandson. We have not yet landscaped so I just put out a few radials at this point.
Performance is excellent and far beyond what I expected. I dropped my plans for a tri-band beam after a weeks use. My signal on local 75 meter ragchew and nets is fine. DX on 80 is excellent. 40 meters you own the band. The high bands are great for DX and good for stateside.
160 Meters was the big surprise. I've worked Cuba, Europe, and South America with decent reports.
For the price and the space I have this antenna far exceeds any rational expectation.