Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-6/160 RT MC-3H Black Magic Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-6/160 RT MC-3H Black Magic
Hi-Q-6/160 RT MC-3H Black Magic Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $895
Description: Completely NEW Mechanical Design
It was developed for the USMC On the Move HF communication. Ruggedized for Armor Vehicular and Fixed stn. Use.
Lower mast: 2’X 2.5” Black Type III. Mil. Spec Anodized
Coils size; 5.5” dia.X12” Long, All black Modified Hi-Impact
Antenna height: 3’
Weight: 12 lbs

More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com/HiQ6160.htm

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-6/160 RT MC-3H Black Magic.

K4AAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2014 13:14 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought Charlie's 2.5 antenna years ago when I lived in California. I visited Charlie and he helped me understand the antenna and provided install tips. I have since moved to the east coast and after having some issues with the antenna, I decided I wanted to try another maker. The other maker's antenna is showing signs of wear on the coils after 8 years of use and I decided it was time to look for a new antenna. All roads lead back to HI-Q.

After coming into the hobby and spending too much money trying things before figuring out what was best for my application, I decided it was time to research, research and research and put my money towards what I felt was the best and most reliable.

As I said, all roads lead back to HI-Q. I contacted Charlie and asked a lot questions to help guide me to the right antenna. Since the 2.5 model antenna I had bought in 2001, Charlie has made many changes and advances to his antennas. So many questions had to be asked to make sure I got what was right.

After exhausting Charlie with emails and phone calls, I decided on the -6R Piranha. Within a week it was on my door step. Installed the new new stud mount and antenna and off I went to testing the antenna. Had to make some adjustments to my existing shunt coil and I was amazed I was able to tune 10-80 with a 5-1/2 foot whip! At the top of the coil 160M was at 2.8:1 SWR. I have to make some adjustments to the shunt coil length/turns and maybe add a longer whip to get 160M down where I want it. I will be experimenting with that soon.

On air testing... 50 watts on 40m in mid afternoon, I received a S9+20 signal report from a station 150 miles away. Turned on the ALS-500M amp and the other station was amazed! I took the vehicle for a test ride and the SWR was solid and did not shift nor did the amp trip off once!. With the other maker, the amp would trip off when I too close to trees and other vehicles... This was a pain! I went from band to band (10-80) just working stations on the go and was just amazed at the signal reports I received and the amp complimented the antenna.

Bottom line, I am simply impressed with the HI-Q -6R 5/160 antenna. Charlie's product is impeccable. The craftsmanship is like no other.I may have drifted away to another maker for a bit and that antenna served me well, but I am very happy to be back with HI-Q and this fantastic antenna.

Search no more, HI-Q is the antenna for you. Remember, you get what you pay for. The other makers are hiking their prices and don't compare. Get HI-Q!

73, Will, K4AAV

N5QF Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2012 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Hi-Q 6/160 Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this antenna. I had a 4/80 which I got back in 2004 from Charlie. I have considering buying the new 6/160 for over a year and took the plunge. I love this antenna, should have done it sooner. The smooth operation, heavy duty design and easy of install (since I already had the 4/80) made for a quick up and running. Performance seems to top the 4/80 and I like the look. I was concerned with the black coil housing, but is not an issue. You can figure out the contactor position by playing around with it a little. Set up is: Lexus 350, 2011. Trailer hitch mount. Eggbeater capacitance hat, 46 inch whip. Length overall 11 feet. REP design BKT-flat-4S (recommend), MFJ 909, Daiwa CN-801 HP, SGC Smart 500 watt Powercube, Ameritron SDC-102 antenna controller. This antenna is really cool, I get a lot of questions when people see it and a lot of questions when people hear it on the air. Thanks Charlie (and he likes repeat customers). See my 4/80 review BTW it is still a good choice too.

W1JCW Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2011 16:20 Send this review to a friend
6/160 Incredible Performance !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The best antenna I have owned over the 33yrs of being a ham and running mobile !

The more important factor is the man behind the antenna, Charlie is always willing to help out and speak with you about any questions, issues or concerns you have. He will make suggestions based upon his experience and knowledge of this rock solid, incredible performing antenna.

This is my 2nd Hi Q antenna, the first was the 5/160 now the new 6/160 ! I run several different configurations of cap hats, whips and combinations there of.

I keep a excel spread sheet of my turn counts and pF on the feed point for the lower bands. It's always right on and I can work anyone I can hear on the band. I get compliments on the signal strength and quality often.

You get what you pay for with a Hi Q in many aspects. I wont own anything but a Hi Q.

Thanks for building a far superior product Charlie.

73-
W1JCW
John

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Upgraded from the Hi Q 5/80 which was an excellent performer. The 6/160 is beefier (2.5" OD mast vs. 1.5" OD for the 5/80, weighs 12LBs and has a wider 5.5", taller 12" diameter coil - all of which contribute to a noticeable improvement on 80, 60 and 40 meters.

Using the egg-beater capacity hat, 2" extension and a 5' very flexible whip, I have no trouble auto-tuning 80 through 15 meters with the IC-7000 and SGC 500 power cube.

Blame it on the shunt coil and/or N2VZ automatic turbo-tuner but tuning above 15 meters or below
80 meters is not reliable. With a manual up/down control or different whip combination, you could probably squeak out a signal on 160 and knock em flat on 12 and 10 meters. That being said, this antenna is "simply the best" you can do for mobile operation.

The 6/160 is mounted on a Hustler stainless ball mount requiring an impressive 2.5" round aluminum adapter which Charlie provided at no extra charge to convert the 1/2" mount bolt to the industry standard 3-24 mounting bolt.

Antenna is mounted high up on the driver's side rear quarter panel and supported by a PVC "A" frame on the top quarter panel which grips the mast with a stainless steel insulated collar.

It is not unusual in traffic to see folks staring and taking cell phone snaps of this oddity which sits atop a '95 Lexus Sport Coupe!

W5UV Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2010 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third Hi-Q antenna. I have upgraded each time - this time to the 6/160 "Black Magic". Charlie without a doubt produces the very best mobile antenna on the planet. He stands behind his antennas and provides excellent service after purchase. I continue to be amazed at the quality build and excellent performance of all of his products. The 6/160 continues the progression of his antennas. I never tire of the many times I am asked what I am using on the air. Thanks Charlie!

KA0ZOZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2010 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Hi-Q(uality)  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second Hi-Q antenna. My first was the 5 inch EX submarine antenna which worked amazingly well. Being repaired after the auto dealer didn't raise the garage door high enough. Charlie recommended this new(at the time) 6/160 and decided to try it with the larger egg beater caphat. Great reports on all bands, even 160m. Many state that I am as loud as fixed stations, sometimes louder and I mainly only operate the lower bands. Custom mounted on the car, needs substantial mounting. Amazing antenna in all aspects and you will love it and be very proud to own one.
Any of these antennas need a great deal of mounting preparation and you can't be afraid to modify your vehicle a little here and there, especially for safety.
I had a little problem in cold weather(Iowa) with the EX but this version has operated without a problem below -20F this winter.
Very good customer service.

K7UXO Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2009 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Mobile Antenna that works!  Time owned: months
Based on the following I have rated this antenna:

A. It does what it was intended to do: Score : 5. I belive this to be the best performing mobile antenna available. Signal reports are significantly superior to any other antenna used mobile.

B. Quality of workmanship, design, and materials. Score 5. Very rugged and heavy duty design. Suitable for large trucks or off road, 4x4 use. I tend to "break things", becuase I use them outdoors, in all kinds of weather and temperture extremes, and with regard to abusing them. Most "Ham Gear" does not survive me. The HiQ is an exception, but is no suprise, this model was designed for the military!

C. Innovation in design. The HiQ antennas are unique from "Screwdriver" antennas in many respects. One I will mention is the military mounting system. Using surplus military mount, the antenna is free standing and does not require an upper support. This allows the antenna to be tilted for NVIS, or stowed paralled to the top of the vehicle. The AT-1011 style military mount also allows the antenna be replaced with a straight military fiberglass whip. Most execellent.

Charlie continues to develop a superior and innovated antenna products. Much of this is driven by his Military customers, but Charlie passes this along to his Amateur HiQ customers.

Buy a HiQ, there is none better.

N9NQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Performance / quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 3 of these. One on mobile and two configured as a dipole. There is no excuse for not getting on HF with a small yard or HOA restrictions anymore. I have had great contacts even on 80 meters all the way into NY from Florida and across to Ca. The higher bands are even better. Recent opend on 40 meters into Europe was great. Charlie has also been great in helping me with this. The only suggestion I can make is to purchase two controllers when configured as a dipole. You will need to open the coupler box and wire the cut side of the of the relay / counter. With offset tuning, I can tune this antenna down to 1:1 SWR in any band. Also get the cap hats...they are worth it for the dipole. I live in a "tree friendly" city, for lack of better wording…(city not trimming the trees). The cap hat can take a beating on mobile. Try to keep the tip 13.5 ft from ground also. I can work the entire state, Southeast and even up the coast to NY on 75/80 meters mobile. I normally run about 200 watts mobile, but actually have talked from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville during trying conditions with only 20 watts mobile.

The workmanship is second to none. They are pricey, but here you really do get what you pay for.

Robert,
N9NQ

KD0TRG Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2009 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned mine for about four months, still playing with configurations as I attempt to obtain perfection. Charlie makes a fine antenna, more comments later.

Current configuration:
- 2x1 foot extensions
- EB-8 cap hat
- 2x24 buddi-pole antenna arms
- 2x75 meter Pro-Am antennas as counterpose
- 4x30 foot 10 gage counterpose to support 40m

LA3ZPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2009 03:45 Send this review to a friend
Magic antennas  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After one year with the fantastic 5/160 SS, I wanted to test out the new chamion 6/160 MC-3 with ED 8 cap hat and 1 meter wimp.

I whas in the first place su happy with the 5/160 SS, I lock on my self more or lese as foolish person, just tingeng off replacement the fantastic 5/160 SS. Story a side, I havend regreted this decision.

My setup are IC 7000, just bare foot. BetterRF tuner, and BetterRF screwdriver controller and last but not lest HI-Q 6/160 MC-3, 90cm mast ED-8 cap hat and 1 meter top wimp.

The preformance have knock mye down many time, I find the 160 meter preformanc just out off a anoder world, when I have the bigest singnal frome the south LA to the north LA, not any DX, but 1600km give or tack. Whit 59+20 from the car on 160, are just fun, and may fellow ham down the south with full size dipol and 10 time mye power can't come cluse to my singnal stringth, yes it fun to work mobile on the top band to. I have work DX , UA9, UA7, from the car in high way speed on the 160m, fairly impressive.

Yester day and to day, I work VK7GK on 40m (it 16000km SP and more than 21000km LP I thing I work LP bouth time), first call from the car in 90km/t on the hige way, not the bigest singal form Europe, but come tru with 5/5, I fine the as magic, so fun the have this possibility, from a car!
When I first ask fellow ham, what I be able to work frome the car, the answer was, 20m and up band are fairly ok frome the car. 80 and 160 meter are out off the qestion, you can't work anyting, the antenna are just to inefficient.
Not the Hi-Q, the HI-Q are not a ordinary mobile antennas comparability to all others manufacturer.
I find so fare Hi-Q the be supercilious on the lower band frome the car.

Well I tinck I have proven the opposite, I so happy I choice Hi-Q.

Mechanical are the antannes bigest strength, and tha are moust importen to my, and probely many Ham me like, I have a 4Runner Artic Trucks with 38 inch tires, and use the car on offroad trips, and the Hi-Q come true to the bighest challenge, so fare, made the wipe and mast on top off the antennas lock like a pig tail, and I have be so edgy that is it, but so fare the Hi-Q have truely survive every tree, tunnel in hige speed. I can't believe that the antanne work every time lik it have be stored in my back set all along.

Know 2 LA ham in conjunction with my local club, LA1T have received 6/160 MC-3 with ED-8, I hope that them whil be as happy as me with this antennas, and Charlys fantastic custom service.

So in the future I hope it will come more happy DX from LA/mobile, LA the HI-Q country ;-), the futher will tell.

73 frome Norway