Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Diamond HF-40 FX Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond HF-40 FX
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $100.00
Description: 1/4 wave 40m HF whip
More info: http://www.rfparts.com

You can write your own review of the Diamond HF-40 FX.

MM5AJN Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2017 14:37 Send this review to a friend
I think these antenna's are amazing value and quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 10m, 20m, 40m and 80m versions of the fx range.
Unsure of how good my earthing system was I worked my way along the spectrum.
They are so easy to tune with an average of maybe 4 minutes to get perfect.
Very little wind drag when mobile and no whistling noises.
At a height of 1.2m to 1.4m depending on the band I wondered when I bought them how good they would perform.
Well I can tell you they work amazing and a lot of folks never believe me when I tell them I'm running 65w with a mobile whip.
Exceptional build quality and seriously performs so so well.
I have videos working into South America on 20m and plenty on 40m with the UK short skip and of course Europe so with these antennas in the car I can work DX 24/7 mobile.
I would give this antenna a 5 star rating.
😀

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2014 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Compact but great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very compact and neat antenna, I use mine on a tri magnet on the roof of my VW Passat.. the antenna is only 1.2m long with an adjustable whip. Bandwidth is narrow only 50kc or so but good workable SWR is easily achievable within your chosen frequency range by fine tuning the whip. I am using the antenna daily as I commute to and from work with my Kenwood TS480HX and 150w output. From my qth here on the west coast of Ireland I have been able to work all over Europe and Scandinavia with relative ease and even some semi DX contacts like north Africa, Russia and the middle east. Signal reports have been great both ways... this little alos hears very well! To sum up I am delighted with the results I am getting with such a small and tidy antenna... I dont have any special bonding done in my car just the mag mount and some coax... I highly recommend this antenna to anyone wanting to try 40m mobile!

CT1EHO Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Great 40m band whip antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my Diamond HF-40FXW six month ago and all I can say about it, is that performs surprisingly well for such a shortened radiator! I'm a QRP operator so the maximum RF power I use is somewhere around 5 Watts PEP, I use either a 40m QRP SSB Kit (ILER-40) transceiver or my “bare bones” Yaesu FT-817ND on the Diamond HF-40FXW, it really works great with those QRP radios, I always amaze myself with the distances I can work during the day on 40m band mobile for such low TX power I use, of course It’s mainly domestic QSO’s within distances up to 800 miles but most of the stations report very frequently 59!
As others have already mentioned, this antenna is very easy to tune, in my case I’m using a magnetic base mount on the center of the car roof with no extra ground, I managed to tune the antenna in a couple of minutes down to 1.1 VSWR, the only minor inconvenient is somehow a “narrow” bandwidth antenna, but that’s fine for me because I stay most of the time tuned to the local net frequency.
I bought this antenna because I already had the 20m band model (HF-20FX) and it was a success, so I decided to by this one also. It’s a great antenna with a very good quality, I believe there are many other mobile antennas with more efficiency, but generally they are taller on your car roof!
I strongly recommend this antenna for the 40m band.

DL4NO Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, good quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is one of those that I have had in my car for at least 50.000 km. At resonance it has a nearly perfect SWR. the 2:1 bandwidth is about 50 kHz.

This antenna is light enough to mount it on a PL foot in the roof of a car. By accident I drove below the branch of a tree. The antenna broke just below the mount of tip. Since then the antenna has been tilted a bit but it still works. Better it breaks there than it tears a hole in the car!

Through a Smith chart computed by my minVNA pro I got an idea how to easily tune it across the band - only a few capacitors and relays needed. Stay tuned!

VK3GDM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 05:04 Send this review to a friend
An excellent performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a great antenna. Go get one.

I've been using mine almost daily for several years with great results.

I get great signal reports and they're often amazed I'm mobile.

David

VK2JAF Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 01:28 Send this review to a friend
Great...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to use, easy to tune, and good reports when in use

YB1BS Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2009 04:02 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use HF-40 FX with ICOM IC-706mkII for more than 2 year
Easy to get low swr and good signal report.
Flexible whip is good for parking in the basement, no need to remove.

KF2SJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2008 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Diamond HF40FX for over two and a half years. I use it with the Diamond K600 mount on the trunk of my Honda Accord. To make sure I have a good ground there is a grounding strap attached from the trunk to the car body. It works very well for a short antenna on 40 meters and my contacts are surprised at how well it works. The size and configuration make it no more obtrusive looking than a CB antenna. The only draw back is that it is not sold in the U.S. I had my son pick it up for me when he was in Japan.

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2008 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Easy to SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Stands approx 1.4m tall and very strong in design with a flexable tip. And what I love about the antenna was the extremely low SWR without wasting several hours trying to get it right less than 5 minutes with the adjustable tip. No ATU required just a radio and a monoband antenna. How good is that!!!. I was so impressed with 40m version so I brought the 20m (HF-20FX) version and same story great signals across 20m.

Well done Diamond antennas A++ to U...

73..Karl