Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | VizKey Vertical Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for VizKey Vertical Paddle
VizKey Vertical Paddle Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $267
Description: Compact, rugged, reliable and nearly indestructible. This key is made from solid brass 5/16" think and the base is 1/2" thick and has silver contacts. It is about 3-1/2" wide x about 3-1/4" front to back including finger pieces. It is approximately 3-1/2" Tall. The key weighs a little over a pound and a half and has rubber feet to keep it in place during operation. The Viz Vertical Paddle comes with 3 feet of 3-conductor shielded cable and your choice of 1/8" or 1/4" plug. There are 6 points that can be adjusted or changed for personal preferences. Surface finish is as all other Vizkeys, wire brushed brass matte. This unit can be fabricated as a left-handed unit with prior notice at no extra charge.
More info: http://www.Vizkey,com

You can write your own review of the VizKey Vertical Paddle.

KC2SIZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2013 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Interesting paddle and fun to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like variety. So, even though I had a paddle that I loved, I ordered a Vizkey vertical paddle. I'm glad I did. It's very well made, with all brass construction and a machine turn finish, as noted by other reviewers. A vertical paddle is an odd bird, but it has advantages. It takes up less desktop real estate. It's also less likely to "roam" on you while you're sending. It is plenty heavy. It has never "roamed" on me and I have it sitting directly on a flat, wood surface. No rubber mat or anything like that is needed to keep it fixed. Settings for spring tension and gap spacing remain fixed after you set them. It is rock solid. I have been using this paddle with a KD1JV tribander, which I built from a kit roughly one year ago, and also with a Ten Tec Century 22. I've had many good ragchews on both rigs using this paddle.

It takes me quite a while to "adjust" to a new paddle, and this one was no exception. It has a less rigid feel than my usual paddle, but without seeming mushy. I don't think my words are doing it justice, but it has a very satisfying "feel" to it. It seems very solid and firm, but without being "rigid", if that makes sense. Anyway, after a few days I found that sending was very easy with this paddle.

K2ARM Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2013 06:40 Send this review to a friend
My only keyer paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I normally use a straight key,(VIZ Camelback), but for many contests and some rag chews and DX I now use the VIZKEY non-iambic vertical paddle. I love it and since I have some arthritis from working construction for many years, it sure makes life easer. Like all of Tom's keys, once you adjust them they stay adjusted. I have a few Iambic keys gathering dust now. I am saving up for one of Tom's bugs next.
Pete, K2ARM

K5WMG Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2012 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Gorgeous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a non-iambic guy and I've have used many paddles over the years - good ones, bad ones, cheap ones, homebrew ones and some that were pretty darn expensive. The reality is that the vast majority were generally pretty but not terrible functional. Having sold my Begali single a while back, I was looking for a really nice paddle for the desk here and considering another Begali and possibly even the new Vibroplex (if I could find one to try first). That's when I remembered Tom and the Vizkey. A quick trip to his website confirmed really reasonable prices and as I wanted something a bit different from the norm, I decided upon the vertical paddle. It arrived today and well done to say the least. Well built, very adjustable, and simply beautiful. The engine turning sets it off and should help with the usual tarnishing hassles of a brass paddle. Tom even made it left-handed for me - the first left-handed paddle I've owned in 36 years with a ticket. I've already run it through a keyer to check it out and really look forward to putting it on the air soon. Thanks, Tom, for making your custom paddles available. It's not my last from you as I really like the vertical bug too.

W3RJT Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2011 18:39 Send this review to a friend
terrific product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am just learning to uise a vertical paddle and really enjoying this. The construction is very, very nice and as I said in another review on another viz key, it is a work of art. Very nice and you will enjoy interacting with Tom who makes it.

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2010 17:23 Send this review to a friend
A Very Good Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
During rehabilitation following surgery, I had to operate from a small platform straped to my knee while in my living room chair. Tom's vertical paddle is ideal for this because I am able to stabilize it to the platform with a rubber band and it leaves me adequate room for a pad of paper for note taking as well. I wasn't sure I would like a vertical paddle, but it is really fun to operate. Good job, Tom.
73, de Dick, K8RBW

K9TB Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2008 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Viz "Vertical Paddle" is in my opinion another winner by Tom, K4VIZ. Like it's big brother the Vertical Bug, It's made from solid brass and sets there on the bench steady as a rock. Six different adjustment points allow for setting the key up to suit any style of keying you might want. For my taste, I prefer a light touch and the springs that Tom uses allows for that easily. This key is heavy enough that it is not going to move around on the bench during operation and like Tom's other designs, opertion is both quiet and smooth as silk. The single paddle design allows you to operate the keyer inside the radio and still key it the same way you would use a bug if you prefer. If you're thinking you would like operating a single lever non iambic key, you won't regret buying this one.