Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | M2 6M7JHV Help

Reviews Summary for M2 6M7JHV
M2 6M7JHV Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $261.00
Description: 50 MHz yagi
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 6M7JHV.

W9RAS Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2013 22:54 Send this review to a friend
New 6M7JHV 09-2013  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give the 6M7JHV a rating of 4 for these reasons.
1---Clamps supplied by M2 were galvanized type they appear to be similar to muffler clamps. For this reason I used the stainless steel clamps from the 30 year old cushcraft antenna that was being replaced.
2--- Connectors ( chassis F type ) were loose in the connector block and turned easily when connectiing the balun. I tightened these with a small 7/16th inch end wrench. I was concerned when I did the tightening about twisting loose the connections inside . Testing with an ohmmeter showed it survived the tightening ok. I have used the F connectors myself previously on home brew antennas and really like them for low cost,low loss and ease of assembly .
3---The small set screws on the T match end blocks these can corrode and be difficult to remove later .I replaced them with standard small slotted stainless steel screws.
4---The resonant frequency of the DE or driven element was low and was very close to 50.0 mhz Trimming one inch from the DE brought it up so the SWR is low now less than 1.5 up to 50.5 MHZ
5---I found assembly of the Boom to be confusing this required laying them all out and carefully measuring hole locations on the boom pieces to determine which ones go where. had these been marked at the factory A B C D E etc. assembly would be SO much easier .The boom took a lot more time to assemble because of this.

I did give it a good rating of 4 however because once it was assembled and adjusted it works very well.

K5RR Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2010 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 6M7JHV-HD antenna, which is beautifully constructed. I previously had a 6M7JHV, which has a 1.5 inch diameter boom rather than 2 inch like the HD model. I didn't feel like the 1.5 inch boom was strong enough for a permanent installation, although it probably is. The two antennas should perform identically, and, as far as I can tell, perform as advertised. I strongly recommend this antenna.

KC8TYK Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2010 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my M2 6m7jhv up for about 2 weeks now and it's a great. Without this antenna I would not be able to hear the weak stations. My first impression of the beam was the mast is a bit weak. But after seeing this monster on top of the tower I'm glad to see how it does in the strong winds. My first 2 weeks of having it up we have had 50 mph plus winds.

The instructions are pretty straight forward except for the mast assembley. If you have a bit of know how about yourself its no problem. There are serveral sections to the mast so take your time and make sure you get them in the correct location. With this being said I had my antenna constructed in about 2 hours including the tunning.

As for the support cables you need to adjust them according to how straight your antenna is. When I first installed mine the antenna had a curve effect to the left. I took the front turn buckel down and hooked it the other way which straightened the antenna.

The only reason I give this antenna a 4 instead of a 5 is the bauln cable connectors seem a bit cheap. But I will repost after a year of use to see how they hold up. My first impression might be wrong so I'll wait before giving it a soild 5.

This being said I don't think anyone will go wrong purchasing this product. Do some looking around After purchasing mine I seen another store have the same antenna $80.00 dollars less.

W5DQ Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2010 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First let me explain the reason for the 4 rating. Not because the antenna is only worth 80% but because it may not be beefy enough for a permenant installation in some areas. To that end, I will say that M-Squared now has a HD version with a 2" boom so that would be a better match for permanent install in my opinion.

The 6M7JHV is a great antenna. For long haul terrestrial and for entry level horizon pointing EME, it is a solid performer. Plenty of gain for the size and an excellent pattern. One issue I have found (again no fault of the antenna) is that you had better be pointing at least within 25 degrees of the station or you might miss them with this antenna as the pattern is that sharp. On openings so far this year, I have been hearing stations farther and longer than I had been with the old Cushcraft A505S I was using. My reports are almost always 59 with many comments like 'Your the loudest signal on the band I've heard today' while running only 100W from my TS-2000S/X. I just added a King Conversion 6M KW amp to the arsenal so it should be a interesting Es season this year.

Another issue I have and again it is the task I have thrown at it, is due to the light weight, the desert winds can really make it dance on top of the tower. But having said that, I am sure the wind gusts it has experienced here have pushed well upwards towards the 85MPH rating many times with no problems (SO FAR!) Living in the desert, we don't get alot of rain so I haven't noticed any signal degradation due to rain. And it doesn't appear to be any more noisier than other antennas in its class that I have used or heard. The 6M7JHV replaced a CC A505S and there is no noticable increase in noise but I also have changed rigs around the same time so that may not be a valid observation on my part.

I decided on the 6M7JHV due to it's lighter weight because I wanted to put it on a light duty mil-surplus field tower setup I have. So far it has worked great on Es and ground wave and I just recently stepped up to try horizon aimed EME with it so we'll see how that goes.

Assembly was relatively easy but I too had the problem of missing locknuts. I called M2 and they sent me some but in the meantime, a trip to the hardware store got me back in action. Tuneup was simple. I set the tuning blocks on the T-match to the stated points and she was spot on on 50.125. I have run 1300W thru the antenna with no observed ill effects so it should be good for anything you can throw it way, RF wise.

All in all, this is a very good antenna for it size and weight. Probably geared a bit more towards portable use than permenant installs but will work. Would I buy it again, maybe but probably would go for the HD version for my tower.

W4CCS Rating: 2/5 Jul 27, 2009 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Bad Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unpacked the new 6M7-JHV antenna. I assumed (wrong) everything was there. Started putting the pieces of the boom together. Ok so far.. BUT after fighting to get the boom screw holes aligned (actually requiring some re-drilling), I noticed all the lock nuts were missing.. Crap, off to the hardware store.

Now, boom together and all is well (for now). Started the element assembly. This went fine because I purchased enough lock nuts the last trip the the hardware store. Mounted all the elements on the boom as outlined in the drawing, again OK for now.

Waited until last to mount the driven element. The instructions state "thread the 8-32 x 2" screw into the T MATCH BLOCK held to the underside of the boom" BS..!! The actual tap in the block is 1/4-20 not 8-32. Here we go to the hardware store again. Finally got the driven element mounted. Got really frustrated and just quit (for now).

I truly hope the antenna preforms better than the shop that put this antenna in the box. Really disappointed in the quality of the boom. A 30 foot boom should be more substantial. Seems really flimsy..!!

AB3BK Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2007 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Incredible  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So far so good. I did not experience any of the bad stuff that was posted on this antenna. Sure, it has rain noise, but that's what you get with high gain. If you want broadband, get a Cushcraft.
This antenna has amazing F/B and side rejection. It nulls out everything except where you are pointed. Weak sigs pop right out of the noise when you zero in. My main interest on 6m is DXing. In 2006 alone I worked 50 (fifty) DXCC entities spanning from deep Europe to South America, all multi-hop Es. All done with 100 watts and the JHV antenna at 40 feet.

Put it together right, and use a good feedline, and you will have one heck of a 6 meter antenna.

N0VDQ Rating: 0/5 Apr 20, 2005 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two mounting block screws have broken. At least 4 elements have broken off. The first element broke when the antenna was less than a year old. Have never had this much trouble with a antenna

K2KJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2004 19:08 Send this review to a friend
good but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for several years, operated at sea level with it, at 2200' AMSL (high HAAT for local condx) with it, at 1000'AMSL with it,(even wrkd N5JHV from FN31 with it here...a hoot) and it is installed in my alum garden at 60' AGL with site at 550' AMSL.

First off, when this thing is on it is on! Fabulous pattern, good gain for boom length, and as others have said during '02 June VHF worked many stns not normally worked with an older 11 ele KLM with the log driver cell.

Secondly when it is off, it is off, I am one of the original complainers of too high a Q and when it rains SWR goes snakey, wind noise can be a problem and the attenna is relatively light weight.

A beefer antenna would be nice, but there are trade offs there as well

The pattern is the real beauty of this antenna, F/B very good, and side rejection of things like QRM power line noise, one of the best I have operated.

I feed with LDF-7 and 1/2" superflex and am contemplating that I may have it too high for use during Es seasons, ground gain does count.

Overall, I give it a good, which is an upgrade since I first purchased.

N4UE Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2004 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Still a "2"  Time owned: more than 12 months
The last reviewer mentioned that he recieved the wrong elements and still gave this POS a "5"...He must have got it for free.
In addition to the horrible rain noise this antenna will produce, you can also add wind static.
Getting ready for the VHF contast this weekend, we had very strong (20 + MPH) winds. In addition, it has been VERY dry and has not rained in weeks. As the wind picked up, so did the noise. It reached the point where 6 was unusable on any of my five, 6M radios. (I live in an area with underground utilities, and there is not an overhead power line for a couple of miles).
And PLEASE don't tell me, it isn't grounded properly. I have nine, 8 foot ground rods on this tower and have been erecting towers for 40+ years.
I never, ever, had these problems with the many Cushcraft antennas I have owned and modified over the years.
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
"Type F connectors on a $300 antenna?"
Mike knows better. His old KLM designs are an order of magnitude better than this turd.

ron

N4UE

W8FAX Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2003 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna..Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these thru a local dealer and it was drop shipped from Ca. to Ohio. I ordered on Monday, and it was in my fingers on Friday. As I was assembling the unit on the following weekend, having scheduled the climbers for the next Friday, I discovered that I had been shipped four of the same length elements. Of course there were two wrong ones, and they just had to be short, or I would have cut them off and used them anyway. I sent a note to M2 via email, and they had my replacement elements to me on Thursday via UPS red. (no cost to me) Assembly is a snap, and the instructions are crystal clear. The only change I made was to replace the boom support rope with stainless wire and wire nuts. The antenna works great and the service was great. These mistakes will happen, and I'm sure somebody probably got a scorching over it, but I am most impressed both with the product, AND the customer service I received from M2. Al/W8FAX