Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft 124WB Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft 124WB
Cushcraft 124WB Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.95 at HRO
Description: 4 Element Wide-Band Yagi
More info: http://www.chq-inc.com/cush/124WB.html

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft 124WB.

VK3LBT Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2014 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just put up this antenna, 16 April 2014, whilst I do some much needed maintenance on my 11 element long boom 2m SSB yagi. I tested this antenna out on 2m simplex with a friend tonight who is 100 km (65 miles) from me with no discernible drop in signal with the same power level and running horizontal.
After assembling this antenna exactly to the instructions I found it to be flat on VSWR on the lower portion of 2m where I operate. The antenna has a wider frontal footprint than my big yagi, which is to be expected, the antenna receives very well with good flack and side rejection. The quality of all components are of a high standard and assembly was a breeze.
I am extremely happy with this antenna and as this is the first Cushcraft antenna I have owned I would not hesitate in looking at purchasing anything else from them. Great little antenna.
Cheers Barry VK3LBT.

WA3HVR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2013 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Good performance in both polarities  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this for over ten years and it was horizontal for ssb until recently. It worked very well, but ssb has all but vanished here, so now it is vertical for fm and it did not require any retuning for a near perfect SWR! With 10db of gain, my 7 watts of fm makes a lot of signal. I am very pleased to highly recommend this fine antenna.

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Ecellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its hard to believe the performance from such a small antenna. The small size and enabled me to mount this very high. I run it horizontal and it outperforms a 7 element long yagi just 1.5m lower down the mast.

The matching system is best in class with a radiation pattern that's very clean and symmetrical.

SWR is set for mid band so I re-tuned the match (Very easy) for the SSB end of the band. I get .3 watts reflected for 330 watts forward.

I would recommend this to anyone with limited space or just wants an excellent antenna.

AI4SU Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2011 16:30 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PERFORMER  Time owned: more than 12 months
This beam meet my communication needs in the directions I needed t aim it. Its been on my tower @ 64ft. for a year now with no negative issues. The assembly instruction was easy to follow as well as the physical assembly. Also its super light weight. Go ahead and try it out.

K7JA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2011 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Ultimate DX!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My best DX on the 124WB was an EME contact with K5GW. I mounted the 124WB on a stick, and aimed it at the moon at high elevation (through 12 kV power lines, no less) from my back yard.

Yes, I ran about 800 Watts out from an amplifier, but K5GW was clearly headphone copy at about 6 dB out of the background noise in 25 Hz bandwidth. We completed the QSO in about four minutes on CW, with no repeats required.

No, this is not a joke. Yes, K5GW could not believe it when I told him what I used for an antenna. I have heard about a dozen EME stations on CW when I have occasionally tried this stunt.

EME from a single 4-element Yagi. . .good enough for me!

73 de Chip, K7JA

NC0B Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent small yagi  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine mounted at 75 feet, 5 feet above a Hy-gain 402BA 40 meter yagi. I am on the plains of Colorado, and my longest contact is 260 miles to SW Kansas on SSB with 100 watts. The rejection off the back and side is well over 20 dB, and it covers the whole 2 meter band. It is fed with 270 feet of 7/8ths hardline. Picture on QRZ.com at NC0B. For casual 2 meter SSB operation, it is perfect for me. The forward pattern isn't so sharp as to make a 3 or 4 person QSO impossible. I have used it at 2 QTHs for over 10 years.

N1FDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this antenna in many different applications, FM repeater, packet DX cluster, SSB, portable, and now it's my satelite uplink antennas for the FM birds.Spent many years outside and now resides in my attic. Put it together once and have never touched it again.
Well over 10++ years old.
Great small footprint antenna.

KC9LWC Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna; highly recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this antenna as a quick solution for the 2009 June VHF QSO party. The beam performed wonderful. The beam sees fairly wide, it doesn't need to be tweaked and pin-pointed to a tee, but it does have a fairly good F/B.

My previous antenna at home was a copper j-pole. This beam really works everything well. Repeaters that I could not hear before 40 miles away came up S-9+

I just finished a 45 minute QSO on a repeater 110 miles away with this beam @ 15', and Wisconsin isn't as flat as Kansas! Decent topography path or not, this beam gets it done. I highly recommend it!

Tuning it is a breeze, the recommended spacing in the manual gives you a great match through out the 2M band. Even is a 'decent' performer on 70cm.

A+++++++

KF5OK Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2008 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to put together
performs very well.

only used portable out the back of my Jeep.

Observations:
FM, 3-4 signal bars over my SG7500 and d700 comobo.
FM HT, brought barley readable repeaters on
rubber duck to full scale. both of these tests
were hand holding the antenna.

SSB with antenna up 15' on telescoping paint pole.
comparison to my 2m-loop. used with 746pro
went from hearing no activity to hearing a lot of
weak signal activity in tidewater area of VA.
it is a good 3-4 s units over the loop.

the ant has imo good f/b. nice wide frontal patern. easy to find weak signals.

Cons: a little pricey now. i think the SO259 connectors should be higher quality. i think they may strip before they should if used portable with
repeat assembly. But will see about that.

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 20:00 Send this review to a friend
GOOD GAIN FOR IT'S SIZE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little 2 meter antenna. Been up for 10 years and no problems. With 40 watts it easily works repeaters 100 miles away. Great swr across the whole 2 meter band (1.2 to 1). One of cushcrafts better antennas. Joe ke9k