Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft 124WB Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft 124WB
Cushcraft 124WB Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.95 at HRO
Description: 4 Element Wide-Band Yagi
More info: http://www.chq-inc.com/cush/124WB.html

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft 124WB.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2006 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Impressive for size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a 4 element yagi, this thing really performs. I borrowed one to go roving with in the 2001 June VHF contest. It just fit in the back of the Escort when assembled. I was very impressed with its performance given its size. I didn't expect much out of a 4 element yagi, but it really played well. Would definitely recommend one if you are limited on space but want to get on 2 meter SSB. Beats the heck out of a set of loops.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2005 22:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I don't have this beam anymore, it worked extremely well for me over several years. It has a lot of gain for its size, probably a "true" 7.5 dBd.

And it's horizontal radiation pattern is quite wide, which allowed me to mount it without a rotor towards Chicago. Perfect coverage of the entire city!

With 5W and the antenna at 45 feet, I was able to work simplex easily 35 miles away. With a 150W, I was placing full scale signals 80 miles away. What else could you ask for?

K9WIT Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2004 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Great wide band yagi !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Less than 1:3 to 1 across the 2 meter band. Good forward gain for a 4 element yagi and good f/b ratio. What else could you ask for?

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2004 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used this antenna on Field Day 2001, operating 2 meter SSB only. I was in southern Iowa and proceeded to work 67 stations, in 11 states and 23 different grids, running about 160 watts. This was all done on a portable pole with the antenna at only 20 feet and being turned by hand. This antenna is easy to build, and works as well on SSB and CW as it does on FM. Cushcraft use to offer a stackng kit as well, but now sure that is still available, good antenna and really performs well.
73 N0XE

KG4PFO Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2003 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Great little yagi  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this little gem for a year now and have zero complaints, It even loads 440 with a low enough SWR to perform decent.

K5UJ Rating: 3/5 May 30, 2003 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Good working inexpensive utilitarian yagi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this yagi on a chimney mount, vertical and fixed in one direction for dx packet cluster access. It is a basic amateur (as opposed to commercial) quality yagi that gets the job done. The only thing I didn't like about it was the aluminum UHF female connectors for the feed and stub. The aluminum made threading on and tightening the feedline male more difficult than I cared for which was something I didn't need when up on the roof.
This antenna is small enough to present a very minor wind load (~.3 sq. ft.) so it can be placed almost anywhere and on practically any lightweight mount. That figured in my selection along with 10 or 11 elements being overkill for packet at my QTH. If you need a packet yagi for 220 or 70 cm. I believe CC makes 4 el. end mount yagis for those bands as well.

W3FHW Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2003 17:05 Send this review to a friend
low wide band VSWR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
See my previous post. Well, I got it mounted vertically about 8 feet above my horzontal 6 meter rotable beam which is about 22 feet above ground level. I checked the VSWR at this location and here are the results. 144.0=1.1, 144.2=1.2, 144.7=1.3, 145.7=1.2, 146.2=1.1, 146.3=1.0, 148.0=1.0. I didn't readjust, just took it down and put it up. The instruction manual diminsions work pretty good. I think this is a "as advertised" wide band beam.

W3FHW Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2003 13:14 Send this review to a friend
love the low wide band VSWR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this beam pointed in one direction since installation. My intent was to cover that part of I-10 from the Holt, Fl exit east to the Chipley, Fl exit. My son visits from Georgia often and we contact each other via the various repeaters along I-10 when he comes into range of a repeater. Well, it works so good as a fixed antenna I decided to take it down from the fixed position and locate it above a rotable beam. But first I checked the VSWR at it's present location, about 28 feet above ground on a push-up pole, so I could get a reference to use after I relocated it. Here are the readings starting at 144.0 and working up. 144.0=1.1, 145.6=1.2, 146.4=1.3, 147.4=1.4, and 148.0=1.3. I know, It went down at 148.0 but what can I say? These are the readings as a result of using the dimensions given in the assembly instructions. Maybe they could be improved upon, but I'm satisfied. For the price, performance, and ease of assembly this is a good buy. P.S. If you ask you can probably get a small price break!!

KB9VXJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2002 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Good compact beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it as a portable beam, I take along in my camper and set it up on 2 pieces of T.V. mast, that I currently turn by hand. Works better than any similar size antenna I could take along, really outperforms my 1/2 wave omni onthe truck. No need for me to take it apart, is pretty sturdy, and has an acceptable SWR on 440 for cross band repeating around the campsite.

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2002 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Field and Base Beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one tough beam and simple adjustments to set the SWR,by using the manufacture specifications settings,I had no problem with high SWR,my SWR was (1.0-1.2)on thru the full band spectrum on 2m.Great for Field day or Base station set-up when size and weight counts.The construction is very tough and well built,make sure as allways to use De-Ox on all metal to metal contact for easy disassembly.