Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | MDS RC-1 Antenna Rotator Controller Help

Reviews Summary for MDS RC-1 Antenna Rotator Controller
MDS RC-1 Antenna Rotator Controller Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $250
Description: Digital Antenna Rotator Controller for HiGain Rotators (HAM-M, HAM-IV, Tailtwister) Yeasu, and other antenna rotators
More info: http://www.mds-ham.com

You can write your own review of the MDS RC-1 Antenna Rotator Controller.

KK8ZZ Rating: 1/5 Sep 19, 2017 10:07 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Kills Another One  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine before MFJ bought them out. Basically, this is a great controller, and WHEN IT WORKS CORRECTLY is very convenient compared to the Yaesu controller it replaced. It randomly connects with the USB option on the computer using HRD latest version(s), though it often seems to have a random mind of its own. The major fault is when you attempt to manually set the desired beam direction by hand, using the "GOTO" knob control, the display and control work randomly and will often simply cycle back to some set of headings near the original setting and not allow you to actually dial in the beam heading you wish to have. Very disappointing. Other than that, it works on manual control, seems accurate in selected headings, and looks good on the ham shack desk. Reading reviews here from models made after MFJ took it over, I'd say once again, run, don't walk, from anything MFJ makes. I KNOW there are great craftspeople living down there where MFJ has its factory, but somehow even the least trained Asian guy or gal seems to be able to assemble electronics without leaving loose screws, unsoldered connections, or actual pre-shipping testing. This is another great example of a once potentially great ham accessory dragged down to the lowest possible quality offering when MFJ takes it over. Stay away, keep your Yaesu Controller. I'm glad I did.

K5DSQ Rating: 1/5 Sep 13, 2017 13:43 Send this review to a friend
MFJ, What Can One Say  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased an MDS RC-1 prior to MFJ purchasing the company. Worked OK, a little goofy/touchy to setup and calibrate, but it interfaced with HRD. Turned it on 7-8 weeks ago and it immediately died and in the process killed my computer. Packaged it up and sent it to MFJ for repair. Never heard a word (4 weeks) until I called them two weeks ago. I was informed that I was number four in line and they would hopefully get to it the following week. Today I received and email telling me the whole thing was shot and un-repairable. Think I will go back to my very dependable HAM 4 controller that was built by CDE back in the last century, still works great and has never seen a MFJ Hy-Gain repair shop and never will. So much for MFJ Hy-Gain!

KI7M Rating: 2/5 Sep 5, 2017 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Was a fan but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my second MDS RC1-Y for a new Yaesu G-1000DXA going on my new tower. I've got about 240-260 feet of line going to the rotor now and ran into some problems. At first it would only turn one direction. Then after fixing the wiring due to the connector on the rotor I had more problems. It would turn either way alright but the GOTO function would fail sometimes or all the time in one direction and other times if I tried to move over about 40 degrees it would fail. Less than about 40 degrees it seemed to work sometimes both directions. I talked with the tech at Hygain/MFJ and shipped it back to them to be checked out and adjusted. He though he would need to do some adjustment to boost something. It seems they immediately shipped it back 'no problem found' after trying it on a G-450 rotor. In case you are not aware the G-450 doesn't have the features of a G-1000DXA rotor. Like the preset knob and push button to go to that setting. How do you check out a controller on a rotor that does not have those features? I gave the H-gain/MFJ people a complete writeup on the problems I was seeing and all I got for my money was a controller that does not provide the functions I wanted or it's suppose to provide. I guess what can you expect from Mighty Fine Junk. I realy liked this controller and was a fan until this happened and I got such poor service for my new purchase. My problems could have to do with the long cable but the Yaesu controller is working normally. The write up also stated my distance issue without any comment from MFJ/Hy-gain.
Once upon a time Hy-gain was a great company until MFJ gutted them I'm afraid. Quality control problems and service problems are their biggest issues. I was even thinking about buying a TH7-DXX to side mount on my tower but you can bet I'm having second thought about that.

WB3LHD Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2017 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Very nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the MDS RC1-Y to replace my Yaesu G-800SA
rotator. I wanted to control the rotator from my
computer using Ham Radio Deluxe. I'm using the USB
port to Comm4 and it works very well.

You will need a 2.1mm coaxial power connector to power the unit as one was not supplied.
I connected mine to my 12VDC power strip that's connected to a 12V battery.
Be sure to use a heavy enough power cable or the unit will starve for power and shut down.
I tried a 24AWG power cable at first and that did not cut it. I made up a 16AWG power cable and that was fine.

Very nice looking with it's blue screen with lots of built in options. I would purchase this again.

WA3JJM Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2016 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Terrific replacement controller  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the RC-1 to replace my disfunctional Yaesu G450-A rotor controller. Cannot say enough about it. Easy installation, works perfectly and now when using my DxLab software I can simply click on the cluster and point the beam automatically (long or short path) toward the DX. Great controller and even better when combined with DxLab.

NM5SD Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2016 11:05 Send this review to a friend
I Just Ordered a Second One!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The title pretty much says it all. I have two of the old, clunky, mid-20th century design Yaesu control boxes for my '800 & '1000 rotors.

In order to turn the antennas via RS-232 I had to add an aftermarket board to the control boxes. It works, but it's still clunky. I wasn't happy. Then a local ham told me about MDS. I ordered one. It's much smaller...maybe 1/3 the volume of the Yaesu box. It's digital, and USB, and RS-232 is built in. In all, about 1/2 the price of a replacement and an RS-232 add-on.

Very cool! And, as I said, the second one is on order.

(Yaesu boxes are going to ebay which will pay for the MDS boxes.) <---Happy Camper.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Controller  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the MDS RC1-G for the Yaesu G450A rotator and it works perfectly. Aligned with the RemoteHams.com remote software, I'm able to easily point to the DX direction. I can use my radio while at work on my lunch break instead of rushing home after work only to find them QRT. With the USB port, no need for USB-RS232 converters.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Near Perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the MDS RC1-Y for the Yaesu G800SA rotor over the past 8 months. Almost perfect in every respect: (a) easy install, (b) easy to configure, and (c) excellent control especially remotely using HRD and other software packages. The service from the crew at MDS is a bonus. The only nit I have is the controller is a bit light and will skid on the desk if you make manual adjustments or rotations. Adding some ballast to the controller would be a plus. BTW, I have the original G800SA controller (new) and prefer the RC1-Y over it.

VE7ZN Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Tremendous Value  Time owned: months
My Yaesu G-2800DXA controller took a bow and I wanted something to interface with HRD in any event. I'd thought about buying a new Yaesu controller and an add-on interface. But this would have been an expensive option. Then, I stumbled across the MDS products and, after reading the manual and reviews here on eHam, I went ahead and ordered one. It came well-packed and quickly. I literally hooked up the power, plugged in the Yaesu molex plug, turned it on and voila! Interfacing with HRD was a snap. Great little box, with many features. It starts slowly then automatically ramps up to full speed and slowing down several degrees before your desired stop heading.

I'm pretty impressed so far and will write again after several months' use, but for the price, it's a terrific product. One improvement I'd suggest is to replace the knob with something a bit bigger. I find it's a tad too small - but I'm really picking the flys**t out of the pepper...

Robert

KM4CQG Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Digital interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm running a digital ham shack and utilize remote operation.

MDS RC1-Y makes a perfect interface for the Yaesu 800 rotor. USB is built into the unit and power input of 13.8 volts provided by my stations power supply.

HRD Rotor + Logging software drives MDS where you want it to go automatically. Setup works good. I did find that unit performs better when selecting the DCU2 interface on HRD Rotor software. A few tweaks when setting up interface almost plug and play.

Unit is very light and if you do manually control the MDS it it will move around.

Ian