Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | Mirage KP-1/ 2 meter in shack preamp Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage KP-1/ 2 meter in shack preamp
Mirage KP-1/ 2 meter in shack preamp Reviews: 5 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: 2 Meter/144-148 MHz In-Shack GaAsFET Pre-Amplifier
-Automatic RF switching
-GaAsFET boosts weak receive signals
-In-Line design for easy operation
-High or Low switchable gain setting
Gain: from 15 db to greater than 25dB
Noise: less than 0.6dB
Power Handling: 100 Watts
Size: 4 1/4 W x2 5/16 H x 1 3/16 D inches
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/mirageamp/Product.php?productid=KP-1/2M

You can write your own review of the Mirage KP-1/ 2 meter in shack preamp.

VE6ND Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2016 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this preamp for a number of years and it does work quite well. Unless you are hooking it up backwards it does what it is supposed to do. I had to adjust it to bring the noise floor down a bit however for the money I have had not a single issue.
At about 16dB of gain with a noise floor of 1dB or less it works with my portable satellite gear without a hitch.

W9BB Rating: 0/5 Jun 6, 2013 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Junk - difficult to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had multiple preamps over the years, and this oddball, is the KP-1/6M which defies why it is marked this way as all I have seen are KP-2/6M. It will preamp stuff but you can't bypass it and run HF freq thru it, else you get high SWR, with the unit off.

When you transmit, say on CW, you will get a momentary spike of high SWR as its switching speed is inferior, regardless of Break In Keying delay.

Don't waste your money.

K3ROJ Rating: 0/5 Nov 17, 2009 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Did not work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I believe I know what I am doing since have had other preamps over the years. I bought this preamp to help out my 2 meter 4 element yagi I use for satellite work. I already have an original Mirage preamp for 2 meters I use at my summer place in WV and has worked well over the years. Anyway, this one never worked right out of the box. I contacted MFJ and they sent me another one right away. Well, I could not believe it when it did not work. They of course refunded my money quickly. I do have one MFJ device that does work which is the 259B antenna analyzer. I talked to someone who knows a location where they build their devices and was told they do not pay good money to their workers and of course hire people who otherwise would be picking beans in the field.

M0TTB Rating: 0/5 Aug 15, 2009 04:22 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the standard version... the one that attenuates signals.
If you get the working version of this, buy a lottery ticket, you are THAT lucky!!

Producing cheap products with rough build is fair enough, most accept that... but it would be a nice touch if the product worked.

Do MFJ actually have a quality control section?
It's the very last MFJ item I ever buy, and I'll also be checking very carefully as to who they take over, as all they touch seems to turn to dust.

NT9M Rating: 1/5 Jul 25, 2008 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Run, don't walk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I swore I wrote a review of this unit a couple years ago but the only listing I found was under VHF-UHFamplifier category and my review was not there. So let's bring things up to date and put them in the proper category. If you go to the KP-1 reviews in the "amplifier" category, you'll find two guys who were happy with their units a few years back. I don't know when MFJ acquired Mirage, but I know the three units I've had experience with were all post-acquisition. The first one I purchased was deaf right out of the box. When the unit was switched on it actually attenuated the received signal rather than amplify it. I sent it back to the vendor and they replaced it was a second unit. Same exact story. The vendor was a bit skeptical when I called them the second time, so I agreed to return the unit to them for testing. Sure enough, they found the very same problem, so they sent me a third unit which they tested and determined as working properly before shipping to me. When I got it, hey it actually worked ! So it stayed in my shack for a year or so, and when we moved qth's, I took it out of service, put it in the original packing and box. Thinking it would come in handy during Field Day, I took it along, as I was in charge of setting up the VHF station. Well, guess what? Removed it from the box, put it inline, and it attenuates signal when switched on. Do yourself a faovr. Do NOT be tempted. There are much better choices, including having no preamp.