Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Schurr Profi Help

Reviews Summary for Schurr Profi
Schurr Profi Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: Handmade precision brass key
More info: http://www.schurr.de/index.html

You can write your own review of the Schurr Profi.

DD4DA Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2011 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Well designed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned some other keys before - a Bencher BY1, ETM8 and some other brands. All of them got the same problem with the feeling and precision. In the late 2004 i purchaised a Profi-2 Key and worked a couple of years with that fine key.
I agree in that point, that a key must fit to the operator who uses it. If not, you will not be sucessfully with that.
I actually moved to the "Einhebel" Key (Single Lever) by "Scheunemann Morsetasten" who the follower of "Schurr Morsetasten" are, to get more keyer brand (timing) independence.
vy 73 de Gerd, DD4DA

VE3FDT Rating: 1/5 Dec 29, 2009 19:11 Send this review to a friend
A truly beautiful key with a crippling, disqualifying flaw.  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the very first reviewers of this key said years ago: "The Schurr Profi is wonderfully made key, lovely to look at, a pleasure to own. It has a flaw. Every one of them I have tried simply refuses to be adjusted to very close tolerance. Admittedly, I adjust keys so close they will activate when blown upon, or I will if the key will, and this one won't. If you are a banger, you will love it!."

This reviewer then proceeded to give the key 4 out of 5.

In my pursuit of the "ultimate" key I have gone through many paddles, both single and dual lever ones, from run-of-the-mill Benchers (and lower!) to the creations of the trade's artisans (in some cases: artists), from the bottom to the top of the price scale.

One thing that I learned is this: there is no objective, scientifically established and supported by clinical and verifiable rules of engineering set of criteria by which a CW key of any kind can be judged. Hear me loudly: a ranking of a CW paddle is as subjective as your own hand! Your ability, your background, the way you learned the code, the way you send it, the way the anatomy of your hand is, all those contribute to your judgement of a key; you, as an individual, judge the key; you, you, you...

I realize that some years ago there was an individual on this forum who took upon himself an ill conceived responsibility to be a supreme judge of the race for the "ultimate" key; a kind of imperial Rome "arbiter elegantiarum", if you will. I realize that he received some (limited! it turns out hams are more sane than most people give us credit for) following. Let his name and the call sign, and those of the followers, go unmentioned, for he was a fool.

A judgement of any CW key is a matter of individual taste and individual taste only!

For this reason, I say (note the fine differences from the quoted statement above): "The Schurr Profi is wonderfully made key, lovely to look at. It has a flaw; a debilitating flaw! Every one of them I have tried simply refuses to be adjusted to very close tolerance while maintaining any noticeable return force. If you like extremely narrow spacing with lots of return force, you will be utterly unable to adjust a Schurr paddle to you liking. Simply put: if you are heavy fisted, you will absolutely, unequivocally hate it with a passion!"

I then proceed to give the key 1 out of 5.

I would have given it a zero, but it is beautiful, even I have to give it that. Unfortunately, it is also supposed to be useful. And it is not, not for me.

A few words of caution: I am not a CW "speed daemon". I feel comfortable up to about 40 WPM and even that I discovered very recently after finding a (single lever) paddle that really is an "extension of my fist". I used to think of myself as a 30 WPM or so operator, until I found the right paddle. (I will write a review of it one day after I have had it for about a year or so. I have had it for a week only and it has been miraculous in improving my CW, but this might be just my seasonally impaired judgement: my new paddle has been the best Christmas gift I got for myself in the longest while.) Also, I come from a single lever paddle background, which means that I do not use the iambic technique much.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2008 02:10 Send this review to a friend
A "key" to good CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned Vibroplex,Kent,Katsumu & various other keyers/paddles, all nice and functional in their own way. The Schurr Proffi-2 is a pleasure to use in every respect,it came set up and perfectly worked straight from the box. It does make sending CW almost effortless.
I'm happy in every respect with this key (yes I know its pricey but worth the cost)for my supplier Vine Antennas I have nothing but praise, (ordered by telephone 10-30am and arrived at my door the next day at 8-15am)what a pleasure to do do business with an owner of the business you can talk to and get sensible advice and help from, I have dealt before with this company for Strumech and Palstar items and have had similiar service, a difference from the "Ham Supermarkets" and box shifters!

OE5CSP Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2007 00:25 Send this review to a friend
My favourite paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favourite paddle.I also own a Kent twin paddle and an MFJ paddle, but the Schurr Profi is outstanding.All these paddles work.The MFJ, which I also like, needs permanent adjustment.The Kent is better than the MFJ, but the space between the paddles is too wide for me and it feels a bit bulky.The Schurr is just everything I want.Bravo!!

KT5X Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2007 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Good paddle, could be better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very nicely made, but... the ten cent finger pieces could be more comfortable, more ergonomic, more interesting material commensurate to the rest of the key, and with the several examples of this paddle I have tried, I could never get one to adjust very closely without just closing. There are better paddles out there.

WD5EAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2007 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Functional Art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced my Elecraft/Bencher paddle. No comparison.

Looks, as other reviewers have noted, is superb. But more importantly, the paddle precision is incredible. And a piece of cake to tweak both tension and travel. My only regret is that I waited so long to get a good paddle.

G4SJP Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2007 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been through three keys in the last year or so - a Bencher, an early G4ZPY and a Kent twin paddle, but could not be truly happy with any of them. I've a touch of what is probably some arthritis in the last joint of my index finger which may be to blame. Too many dits, not enough dahs on occasions- embarassing really! I could not maintain any better than about 18wpm with any accuracy.

The Schurr key is absolutely beautiful. Exquisitely made and extremely attractive, a real gem of engineering. I felt immediately at home with it. I found 18wpm seemed too slow. I'm now sending at 25wpm after only two weeks use at least as accurately as I was before at 18wpm.

In my opinion it's worth every penny and I won't be parting with this one!

K4RWW Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2006 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Work of art  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Allow me to provide the 50th bravo for this superb cw machine. It is truly a work of art. I have tried many high end paddles and believe the Begali and Schurr are among the best. Both brands have excellent performance characteristics but the Schurr has the edge on fit and finish. I particularly like the solid hinged cover that comes with the Profi. A little pricey perhaps but value and excellence comes at a cost.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2006 08:05 Send this review to a friend
The Best Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a Ham since 1961 and my first keyer was an Eldico with two, I believe 12AU7s. In all these years the Schurr is the one left on the desk.
I met Herr Schurr at Ham Radio a few years ago and asked what he thought of the Bencher paddle. He just smiled and said "It's a nice paddle". He never bad mouthed his competition (What competition?) :)))

KE5FRF Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2006 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my key this past weekend, purchased from Marshall at Morse Express. This is my first set of "store bought" paddles, been using a homebrew set for a few months. So, my opinion is not that of an expert CW op, but of a CW newbie. I found the key had a nice feel right out of the box. After a few hours of practice sending, I did decide to adjust the spring tension to make it a bit tighter. This seems to help keep out the extra "dits".

I've seen references to this key being the "Rolls Royce" of paddles. I would change that anaology to the "Lamborgini" of paddles, because it is definately built for speed as well as luxury. Tapping it kind of has the feeling of reving an engine with a lot of horsepower. The most remarkable thing is the quality of the workmanship. It is truly a beautiful key to look at as well as use. I found myself getting frustrated when I saw my fingerprint smudges on the finger pieces!

The price may seem kind of high, but if you are interested in a key that not only is a great performer but also a centerpiece for your shack, consider the Profi 2.