Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Schurr Profi Help

Reviews Summary for Schurr Profi
Schurr Profi Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: Handmade precision brass key
More info: http://www.schurr.de/index.html

You can write your own review of the Schurr Profi.

W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2006 11:13 Send this review to a friend
investment you will use for a lifetime  Time owned: more than 12 months
in over 40 years
have owned countless keys and paddles

some good some bad

used Schurr Profi II
for about 6 years
the best set of paddles ive ever used

sold most of my keys

Profi II will stay on ham shack desk
till final SK estate sale

Mac

DJX Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2006 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Craftsmanship At It's Best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased the Schurr Profi II and I must say that this paddle is the absolute ultimate in Quality Craftsmanship.. It is hand crafted and truly a Precision Instrument.. It is such a nice paddle that I almost hate to use it.. Looks gorgeous in my custom glass top wooden display case which contains/protects all of my keys and paddles.. The Schurr Profi II is an extremely smooth paddle, and is without a doubt the best paddle in my collection; not to mention the most handsome, with the Begali a close second..
In my opinion, if you want the best quality, smoothest operating, and the most beautiful paddle available, and you don't mind paying the price, the Schurr Profi II is the paddle to buy.. Go ahead; treat yourself and buy a Schurr Profi II.. I don't think you will regret it...

9K2HN Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2006 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm not using the morse key much after buying microkeyer and mostly i'm running the pile-ups with the keyboard. BUT when ever i need to use the key to call a DX or to pass answer a question Profi II is the real help to me which does not move when you use it and no need to hold it with your other hand like you do with most of the other paddles. it is bit more expensive but I never felt sorry buying it. and I'm thinking now of buying a second one for my second qth.

PD0CW Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2005 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Treat yourself  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to spend a bit and buy a Schurr Profi II after reading the reviews on this and other sites. Why spend money first on bad or mediocre paddles and buy a really good one later?
The Schurr Profi, now produced by Herr Schurr's successor, is an example of beautiful craftsmanship. It works great, as you can read in all other reviews.
Treat yourself to the best paddle money can buy. It's a beautiful present for yourself, your children and your grandchildren. This quality item will last forever!

KI4DBK Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2005 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent feel  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like to set my paddle contacts so close they can be activated with an extremely light touch. I was concerned (as a high speed operator) that it might have been wiser for me to invest in a magnetic paddle. However, in spite of using spring tension, the Schurr is great for holding its contact spacing for an extended period of time, as well as through daily long term operation. The base is *very* heavy, so if you do get anxious and pound on it, it will not move.

I spend between two and five hours a day on CW (including bug, keyboard, hand key, and paddle activity) and this is the best iambic paddle I have used to date. I have yet to acquire a Begali or Frattini paddle, but I own and have tried many keys, including the The Bencher BY-1, BY-2, K8RA, Vibroplex Brass Racer, Vibrokeyer, Vibroplex Iambic, MFJ iambic, and many others. It took me a while to get used to the smaller distance between the finger pads as opposed to the way I had them adjusted on the Bencher. However, once I became accostomed to the change (took about two weeks), I discovered I could send code at the same speed, yet the effort was barely noticable and I was more relaxed while sending. Now I find to my delight, that the speed is starting to creep up beyond what I could send on any of my previous keys.

People argue that it is possible to send just as fast and accurate with a cheaper paddle. This may be true, but when you have a high quality piece of equipment between your fingers, you will not have to work as hard at sending high quality good copy. Why not use that extra time and energy to work on getting that receiving speed up there? Or, go polish on your bug fist a bit, knowing that when you return to the Schurr, the paddle skill will be there waiting for you.

The Profi 2 is an example of a situation where you truly get what you pay for.

Brett - KI4DBK

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2005 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Ditto/Paddle Thoughts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previewed this paddle in the past under my old call and since that time I have had the most expensive top end paddles come thru my shack while the Profi still sits here in easy reach for daily use. Not only is German machining superior but even with the pivotal design bearings points, I find the Profi the easiest and fastest paddle to set to extremely close settings and stay there. The only other paddle I have played with that had adjustment as fast and easy was the WBL which was flimsy compared to the Profi. It can be argued what type of design and paddle construction is the best of the best. There are paddle makers out there that have gone that extra mile in engineering the best of everything, they are indeed great paddles. But ones preference to a particular feel can not be made to order. I personally have found that I prefer a slight flexi feeling to my paddles and I own the ones that have that feel. The high-end paddles that are expertly designed manufactured and put together and are indeed superior, but they all have the "hard" feel that I find I can never really like in a paddle. I have gone thru enough paddles to buy a new PROIII, as I am sure others on here have done trying to find that pinnacle, that perfect paddle. Well that paddle, IMO, is not just one paddle to everyone but a combination of one of the great high-end paddles now available. Itís solely the operatorís personal choice as to his particular touch and feel. It's totally arbitrary when it comes to feel, now construction and material used is another issue which we can indeed, put your finger on. For me after many years and many high-end paddles, the Profi is the answer. Since I am a machinist I machined a nice set of finger pieces out of coco bola hard wood for my Profi and find that it only enhanced the already great feel I find in the Profi. I just ordered the Frattini Alberto, the only paddle I have yet to own or try. Since I am partial to brass paddles and my collection is very few these days and all brass, I believe it will be my Profi's companion. IMO, Stan of WBL fame was a genius because no one out there has yet to duplicate his paddleís feel, or even design it in totality. I had three of Stanís paddles, there are gone but my Profi remains, because as I said, it's all the feel and all arbitrary.

W4BTZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 23:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the past 52 years I have used a number of
bugs, keyers and paddles, but this one is the
best in virtually every way. For any serious
CW operator, it would seem a prudent investment.

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank, yet gives complete control  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For years I used a set of Brown Brothers paddles and various others, and then came to like Benchers quite a bit. Lately I've been expanding my paddle collection, and have added the Schurr Profi II.

This paddle is so good I'm not sure I can do it justice with words. It's totally solid (very heavy so there's no way it'll move around while being used), easy to adjust (and it keeps the adjustments), and it just plain feels wonderful. I'm partial to the plastic finger pieces because they feel 'warm' to the touch compared with, say, the metal finger pieces of the Begali paddles (which are also amazing) and it took me no time at all to get used to the feel. It's a serious tool that does its job of letting me send good CW without feeling that there's something else between me and the code that comes out. The built-in dust cover is a very nice touch.

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give the Profi II a 10 ...

Is it a must-have? Well ... no, since I can still send competently with more pedestrian paddles like the Benchers (of which I have 4, and each has a unique feel, possibly having to do with differences from one to the next because of the lower precision of the mechanisms). I'm awfully glad I sprung for the Profi II, though - for me, this purchase falls in the "do yourself a favor" category and has brought me a good deal of operating pleasure.

N3KFD Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2004 18:32 Send this review to a friend
WHAT A PADDLE SHOULD BE LIKE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Bencher for my first paddle. I thought it was really good until I bought a Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe. I tried many other paddles but never found one that I really liked. They all seemed to be just okay at best. I started to think that I was just too picky and that nothing was good enough. I am certainly not an exceptional CW operator by any means, I just wasn't finding anything that performed to the standard I expected. They all seemed to be more or less the same.

I got to the point where I was frustrated enough to start doing some real research on what other hams I respected were using and how they liked their paddles of choice. With a few exceptions, the same brand/model kept coming up as being the "one" to get. Most of the CW op's I looked up to recommended the Schurr Profi-2.

At close to $300 with shipping, I saved for over a year and ordered one for myself. It took about one month to arrive in the mail and immediately upon opening the box I could see what all the excitement was about! The machining and attention to detail was unbelievable! It was rock solid, set up immediately, and the action was flawless. It was far different from anything I had tried bdfore. It was absolutely perfect!

After using the Profi-2 for over a year, the Vibroplex now seems completely inadequate. Prior to using the Profi-2, I felt as though there was something missing with any and all of the paddles I tried or owned. No matter how I adjusted them, they just diddn't seem to get it, and they certainly didn't hold my settting as I was always fooling around with them constantly. They all drifted.

This is the only paddle that I have tried that does not drift. It holds my setting verbatim, and it is solid as a rock (and nearly as heavy). This paddle doesn't move under the heaviest of fists.

Many have visited my shack and could not believe how close the tolerances were and how well machined the Profi-2 was.

I only wish I would have found out about the Profi-2 sooner. It certainly would have saved ma alot of time and money. The guy I ordered it from said, "Of all the paddles I sell, the Profi-2 is the only one that I consistently can't keep in stock, no matter how many I order. For every model I sell except for the Profi-2, I sell about one of each per month. With the Profi-2, I sell three per week!"

After my first QSO with the Profi-2 I remember thinking to myself, "This is what a paddle should be like!" After using it for a year, I can understand why they are always out of stock.

Yes, it is not cheap, but most definitely worth every penny! Try one, you'll definitely like it!

73 de Kevin, N3KFD

N3DRK Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2004 20:19 Send this review to a friend
THE ULTIMATE KEY  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the Bencher for 25 years. I thought it was a great paddle. I was mistaken. It is an ok paddle. Just average. The Schurr Profi 2 is THE Key. Easily adjustable and very, very accurate settings that stay put and will not change over much brass pounding. One will not find a greater key than this. This is the standard which all keys should be compared to not that bencher stuff. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to this. You will not regret it.