Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-296K Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-296K
MFJ-296K Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $22
Description: MFJ Speaker Microphone with volume control for Kenwood HT (Th-F6A)
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-296K

You can write your own review of the MFJ-296K.

KJ4UPD Rating: 0/5 May 18, 2011 18:38 Send this review to a friend
MFJ=Mighty Fine Junk!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first bought a 296K for my Wouxun KG-UVD1P, and right out the box, the speaker sounds severely distorted...I sent this back and received my 5th one today, and not suprised, same issue, plus I have a 295K that worked ok until the wire at the plug broke. Like mentioned in the previous review, same problem with no strain relief. They now put a ring that connects the wire to the antenna, but that that puts stress on the antenna, not good if you have an SMA connector. I have learned the hard way, I will never buy another MFJ product! Sorry pieces of junk! I got a Kenwood SMC-34 for double the price, and have had it for a year and works great with both my Kenwood and Wouxun radio.

K7RFW Rating: 2/5 Aug 1, 2008 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Works, for a while, poor construction.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my fifth MFJ mic for my Kenwood TH-F6A, the first of this model, and they have all failed the same.

First thing I noticed was that the speaker rattled around inside the case. But since the system worked as long as the volume did not have to be near max, it was acceptable.

Transmitted sound quality was reported to not be as good as using the radio microphone, but since I use it in a mobile mode, that was not a safe option for several reasons. But the MFJ was still better than another cheaper microphone I bought from one of the unknown (to me) booths at Dayton 2007 as a standby for when my other MFJ mic died.

Volume control worked smoothly and I had no complaints about that, in fact I LOVED that feature.

Now for the main reason I marked this as a 2 (2.5 if the speaker did not rattle). As with every MFJ hand microphone for the Kenwood HT that I have owned, there is NO strain relief at the plug. Every single MFJ microphone for the Kenwood that I have owned has failed in about 1 to 8 months. This one has lasted the longest, a bit over 8 months (maybe because of winter and no portable use). Because of the lack of strain relief, the wires tend to break either at the plug, or just inside of the molded plug housing. (note: My MFJ-295Y for the Yaesu has a strain relief and is over 5 years old.)

I now have the equivalent Kenwood adjustable speaker microphone on order for almost twice as much, we shall see if it lasts at least twice as long.