Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs Mod III 4:1 Tuner Balun 1-30 MHZ 4 KW Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs Mod III 4:1 Tuner Balun 1-30 MHZ 4 KW
Balun Designs Mod III 4:1 Tuner Balun 1-30 MHZ 4 KW Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $77.95
Description: This balun, when combined with a tuner, offers excellent broadband flexibility. It's unique because the design offers the advantages of both a current AND a voltage balun. If you use ladder line or twin lead for your antenna, this balun can be installed remotely allowing you to run coax to your tuner while keeping the efficiency and matching characteristics of the ladder feedline for your antenna.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs Mod III 4:1 Tuner Balun 1-30 MHZ 4 KW.

KD0NFY Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2012 09:14 Send this review to a friend
great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is as much a review of Bob's service as anything else. I ordered a balun from Bob and wanted to change my order shortly after placing it. I emailed Bob and he replied quickly and changed it with no problem. Even then he still shipped quick and it arrived well packed.

The balun is built like a tank, everything as it should be. I won't even bother looking at the competiton next time I need a balun.

KG4OLW Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2011 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Works A+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a doublet cut to a and odd length not as long as an 80m dipole, but not as short as a 40m dipole, fed with 75ft of ladder line. I was using an mfj-971 tuner to tune the antenna. When I tuned the antenna on 80 meters I would have to turn the capacitance all the way up, and it was barely in the range of the tuner. 160m was completely unusable, for some reason on 17 meters I was unable to make a match.

After adding this balun what a world of difference, I have the balun at the end of the 75 of ladder line. I have a small 1ft coax jumper to the mfj-971 tuner and another small jumper to the rig. Now I can tune 160m, 80m is tunable at about the capacitance it was before, the rest of the bands all tune and tune easily with a wide range of settings. What a big difference. Now tuning has become a 5 second job rather than a 4 or 5 minute job where a slight twitch would tune or detune the antenna. This balun has amazing bandwidth as well allowing me to move up and down in frequency further without the need to touch up the tuner.

K1JK Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2010 18:00 Send this review to a friend
great with auto tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well built,works great on full wave loop-160-10m
no heat and tuner quick to respond
well worth the money
k1jgk

K1YS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2010 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Balun and Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After speaking with Bob, KZ5R, about my 80m loop, I bought the 4:1 tuner balun. It arrived quickly and the workmanship exceeded my expectations. The balun works great, quiets the antenna and makes tuning easier.Two thumbs up!

KV8V Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2009 08:26 Send this review to a friend
High quality, reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't mind spending good money on high quality equipment.

I was about to spend more money on a DX Engineering model (apparently a very fine company from what I researched,) when I found Balun Designs. I assume (don't quite know for sure) that Balun designs is as high quality innards, just without the more expensive aluminum box. The professional electrical box suits my high standards just fine.

When I chose this balun, and called the business owner just to make sure I was correct in my choice. He called back soon and confirmed my calculations, and was a pleasant and helpful gentleman.

Now my 160 meter full wavelength "skyhook" loop tunes perfectly from 160m all the way up to 6m.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Goes where other baluns don't  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Never seen a heavy duty balun like this. Superb workmanship and materials. I use it as a replacement for the balun in my Dentron MT-2000A. The Dentron now tunes my 230 foot doublet flawlessly (160-10) which it did not before. Stays cool at extended legal limit operation. Great value.

W2XS Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2008 17:21 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always thought that using an unbalanced tuner with a balun was not a good way to connect to a balanced antenna like a CF Zepp. I have continued to use a Johnson Matchbox on all bands from 160 to 10. (I modified it for 160 m). However, I recently added an Elecraft K3 to the shack with its built-in tuner, and really wanted to use the tuner since the settings are remembered from band to band and QSY is extremely easy.

I bought the Balanced Designs Tuner Balun Model 4124t rated at 4kw. Testing results show that it comparable to the Johnson Matchbox in terms of balance from 80 to 10 meters, and seems close on total current flow too. I used the MFJ 835 Balanced RF Current Meter for testing.

I have now tried the Johnson Matchbox, the Balun Designs Tuner Balun, the Elecraft BL2 balun in 4:1 and 1:1 positions, a 4:1 voltage balun from an old Ultimate Transmatch, and a direct connection (no balun). I had thought that the Johnson Matchbox was unbeatable, but the Balun Designs is pretty close. Initial reports on 80 meters indicate that there is no difference in the signal at the other end of a QSO between the Balun Designs balun and the JMB. (More testing is needed).

The Elecraft balun is good but it got warm to the touch on some bands. Directly connecting the ladder line to the rig resulted in very poor balance on several bands. I would not have seen this if I did not have the MFJ 835 in line as the matching was perfect (1:1 SWR on all bands). The JMB is excellent but, of course, it's a manual tuner. The voltage balun worked OK on 160 to 20, but had very poor balance on the higher frequencies. (Again, the match was perfect, but the MFJ meter showed very poor balance on the high bands).

I posted the results on my website which you can get to via QRZ.com.

So, at least for the time being, I am using the Balun Designs balun as the primary interface to my Cobra Ultralite antenna ( www.k1jek.com ). Changing bands with the K3 and KAT3 is a push of the button and the matched settings are remembered without the need to transmit. The shack is much cleaner without the manual tuner, external power/SWR meter, Palomar Tuner-Tuner, and all of the interconnecting cables that were needed. Time will tell if I feel the need to go back to the JMB, but right now I am having fun (except for the poor band conditions!).

73, John W2XS

K4MO Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2008 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Nye Viking MB-IV-A tuner that had no balun in it. After a bit of research I purchased a Mod III 4:1 4KW balun from Bob with no enclosure. I installed it inside the Nye Viking and it works perfectly and looked great. This is that balun that Bill Nye should have installed at the factory in his tuners. I couldn't be happier with the product or the service. I don't think you can go wrong with any of Bob's baluns.

WA2DGD Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2008 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Well built, Excellent support, Works well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently put up a 125 foot doublet fed with 600 ohm ladder line and was having difficulty with loading on 80M and lots of rf in the shack. I was feeding the ladder line to a short length of coax with a bead balun on the coax, then to a LDG AT 200.
I spoke with Bob, described the situation and he recommended the Mod III 4:1 balun. I installed the balun inside where the feedline entered my house, and then a short run of coax to the LDG tuner. It loads well on all the bands and eliminated most of the problems caused by rf in the shack.
Bob was very helpful and I am satisfied with the final results.