Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES Help

Reviews Summary for ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES
ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $285.00 TO 349.99
Description: The multiband vertical dipoles come in 24 ,28 and 33 foot long models.Each one is freestanding and is fed with ladder line to your balanced tuner.They will tune 6 to 40 meters and handle full legal limit plus.Can be use for field operation or where a no radial vertical is required.Comes complete with foldover.Mounts to a 2 inch OD pipe.EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE WITHOUT RADIALS.
SAME SUPER DUTY CONSTRUCTION AS ALL ZEROFIVES ARE
More info: http://WWW.ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS.COM

You can write your own review of the ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2012 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Very Good All-around  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna less than a year ago to provide a secondary antenna for my antenna farm. It was very easy to set up and is extremely low profile. I have a 6-el LP for 20-10 M and inverted vees for 80-30 meters at 45'. The Zerofive 33' vertical dipole provdes a very nice second antenna for my two-station setup, and the performance is on par with the inverted vees. I feed it with about 40' of 450 ohm ladder line from a 3:1 balun at 20' on a TV mast alongside my house. I added a short piece of guy rope to pull against the ladder line and keep the antenna straight.

The tuners in my two rigs, an Icom 756P3 and a Yaesu FTdx500, load it easily. I can use it simultaneous with the other antennas with no problem for the two rigs due to the vertical vs. horizontal polarization isolation of the antennas.

The performance is about 3-6 dB lower for the vertical on 40 M compared to the V, about the same or better than the 30 M V, and about 6 dB down from the LP on 20 M. On 15-10 M the high angle radiation from the verical dipole tends to minimize it's performance, but it still works. A 20-10 meter ground plane vertical might be a better choice on those bands.

All-in-all it is a good secondary antenna for me as it does cover the bands sufficiently, and it is very stealthy. I give it a five because it definitely lets you make good contacts. It is easy to tilt over and hide when you're not using it.

WB9QVR Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Construction - Good Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been thinking about putting a vertical on the air for some time but didn't want to invest either the money or real estate to put down radials. I had been thinking about a vertical dipole since obviously such an antenna would not require radials. I had seen nothing but good reports about all of Zero-Five's models and was intrigued by their 33-foot vertical dipole.

I finally took the plunge about a week before Field Day and purchased one. I took it to FD but since we already had a number of different antennae I didn't actually put it on the air. Also, I was looking for a sturdy portatble-type mount that would stand up to the torque of a 33' piece of aluminum waving around. I found such a mount from S9 Antennas (http://www.s9antennas.com/).

Last night I was finally able to get the Zero-Five vertical dipole up in the air to test it. I pushed the S9 mount into the dry ground about 10 inches (it should actually go 22 inches into the soil). That seemed enough to hold the antenna in low-to-no wind conditions. I connected the 450-ohm ladder line to the feedpoint at the center of the vertical dipole and hoisted it onto the S9 mount. The mount held the antenna well even when mounted in such a less-than-optimal fashion. I connected the other end of the ladder line to a 4:1 balun and went inside to fire up the rig.

The IARU contest happened to be going on when I got back inside. I fired up the rig on 20m and started making contacts. Using the Zero-Five vertical dipole I found I could make contacts quite easily - even busting a number of pileups. I worked into Europe, South America and parts of Asia with relative ease. In fact after operating for about four hours total I managed to work 27 countries (several of which were new ones for me) as well as numerous domestic stations. The vast majority of the contacts were on 20 but I also made contacts on 15 and 40 meters using the antenna.

There are two downsides to this antenna. One (at least to some) is the price. This antenna sells for $329 (including shipping). Is that a lot for a vertical? Well, perhaps. However, compared to the cost of many other similar antennae and considering that it doesn't require radials which can add significantly to the cost of other verticals, I think it's reasonable. Further, this antenna is built like the proverbial tank (as are all Zero-Five products, apparently) so any concern I might have had about the cost went by the wayside as soon as I opened the box and saw its contents. The second downside is that since it is a true dipole it's fed in the center and thus one must have a way to route the ladder line away from the antenna at as close to a right angle as possible. When testing the antenna in my yard I simply draped the feedline over a tree branch to support it away from the antenna and that method seemed to work well.

In summary I highly recommend this antenna. It provides the DX performance of a vertical without the need for radials. The workmanship and hardware used to build this antenna are quite good and certainly much better than what I could do even if I had access to the materials. If you're looking for a no-radial vertical that will hold up to the elements you would to well to consider the Zero-Five vertical dipole.

KC9BGT Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2008 15:21 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT NO RADIAL VERTICAL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
after moving to a new QTH I needed a vertical to use on 10 through 40 meters. I cannot use radials here so after using zerofive products for 6 years at my other QTH. I decided on Toms new 33 foot multiband vertical dipole. I have it mounted in my back yard; it is fed with 450 ohm ladder line to my balanced tuner in my shack. I had to run it away from the vertical at 90 degrees to the house. I am very pleased with his new vertical and no need to run wire all over the back yard. I have had no problems working stations with my 200 watts. QRO will be added later after I run my 220 line. The product is built like a tank and held up in the last storm with 60mph winds. I am more than happy with the vertical and the customer service.

Thanks again for the great products

JIM
WK9P

KC9GXC Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2008 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Best Of The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I decided to move my Zero-Five 43 vertical to our cabin I and wanted another Zero-Five for the QTH. Tom suggested I try his new 33 Multi-Band vertical dipole, since he knew that I had a limited space for an extensive radial field when I had the 43 up (see my review of that antenna).
I liked the idea of no radials and a vertical for DX. This antenna is equal to the Zero-Five vertical in every respect build quality, easy assembly and it radiates, but that is what you get from Tom and the Zero-Five line bar none.
On 20m PSK during the day I worked Alaska, Serbia, Italy and France. I was using the PSK Reporter to monitor my signal propagation. My signal was being heard from my IL location coast to coast as well as Italy and Ireland with 59 reports on the QSOs I worked.
Im using an Array Solutions Balun with a ladder line feed from the antenna then coax to the shack. I have had no problems tuning it using the Icom 756Pro internal tuner.

This is one great antenna. Tom has done it again.

Randy