Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES Help

Reviews Summary for ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES
ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $285.00 TO 349.99
Description: The multiband vertical dipoles come in 24 ,28 and 33 foot long models.Each one is freestanding and is fed with ladder line to your balanced tuner.They will tune 6 to 40 meters and handle full legal limit plus.Can be use for field operation or where a no radial vertical is required.Comes complete with foldover.Mounts to a 2 inch OD pipe.EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE WITHOUT RADIALS.
SAME SUPER DUTY CONSTRUCTION AS ALL ZEROFIVES ARE
More info: http://WWW.ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS.COM

You can write your own review of the ZEROFIVE-ANTENNAS MULTIBAND VERTICAL DIPOLES.

W0RXC Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2016 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Perfect For My Application  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the 33 foot Zero-Five vertical dipole for use during the winter at my Snowbird house on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. I was looking for a low profile antenna that did not require radials and would be easy to put up and take down when I go north for the summer. I did not want to leave an antenna up during the summer hurricane season. I am not in a HOA but I am in an area of new homes and did not want to upset any neighbors.

To simply installation I fed the antenna with 50 ohm coax utilizing a scramble wound choke at the feed point. This limits me to 20 meters only with the SWR reading 1.3:1 across the entire band. The base is a 2 inch pipe set in concrete. Performance is better than I expected for a ground mounted vertical. In the past three months I have worked 37 countries running 100 watts. Stateside performance is also good with everyone being able to hear me on a net I check into regularly. The vertical dipole is probably better than a beam for stateside nets.

Workmanship and quality of materials is outstanding. I did use some guys because of the heavy coax, and being a mile from the Gulf, I am in a very windy location. The top half of the antenna is visible from the street in front of my single story house but I have had no complaints from neighbors. I highly recommend the Zero-Five vertical dipole if you are looking for a low profile antenna with great performance and do not want to go through the effort of installing radials or a tower.

KQ4YA Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2015 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Over-built in a good way  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is a response to my war with the squirrels and the wind. I wanted something that would stay up and working with little maintenance. I was tired of getting out my slingshot and trying to rescue yet another wire antenna. The last straw was when a squirrel with a taste for dacron rope brought down one end of an OCD that had been up at 85 feet in a pine tree. That's when I decided I needed at least one antenna that was wind, ice and squirrel proof. I had purchased from Zero Five before so I knew in advance that this antenna would be sturdy, even sturdy beyond what is required.

The antenna has met and exceeded my expectations. It's fed with ladder line and stands unguyed in my backyard. The sturdy tilt-over base is a great feature and made it easy to erect the antenna with no help. Compared to verticals from other companies the aluminum tubing is huge and thick - this is no wimp of an antenna. Since it's a dipole, no radials are needed or used.

As far as performance, it's usually a bit under my remaining wire antenna - a ladder line fed inverted V - and that's what I expected. For my uses, it performs just fine. It is weakest on 40 - as I expected - and competes pretty well with the wire V on higher bands. And when I say it is weakest on 40 I don't mean it fails to meet what I need even on that band. If I can work a station on the inverted V on 40, I can work them using the vertical dipole. It's just not - in general - as strong there. But there are, also as I would expect, times when it equals and even exceeds the wire antenna on 40.

AA5EP Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Antenna for My QTH  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have my 33' vertical dipole behind the wall in my back yard where it sits on top of a high ridge facing south. I am using 450 ohm ladder line fed vertically from the antenna to my house and is connected to a balanced tuner. My current radio is limited to 100W.

I live in the desert SW where urban lots are small and rocky. I have no room for radials. While we do not have any HOA issues, we do have good neighbors and do not want to erect a huge tower so close to their homes. Other than a palm tree, there is nothing high enough to mount a horizontal dipole. The small size of my yard also limits antenna size and location. That made the vertical dipole one of my best options. It does not require radials and is moderately stealthy.

I have been very happy with the performance of this antenna. I can tune it to 1.1:1 or less on all bands 10-40. If I can hear a station, I can talk to them. I have made contacts throughout North and South America on phone. Also talked to Europe via digital. Signal reports have been good.

As stated before, this antenna is well built. We live in the foothills of the Franklin Mountains and strong winds are a regular occurrence. This antenna holds up beautifully. Just be sure to provide a solid mounting pole at the base and this antenna isn't going anywhere.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2012 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Very Good All-around  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna less than a year ago to provide a secondary antenna for my antenna farm. It was very easy to set up and is extremely low profile. I have a 6-el LP for 20-10 M and inverted vees for 80-30 meters at 45'. The Zerofive 33' vertical dipole provdes a very nice second antenna for my two-station setup, and the performance is on par with the inverted vees. I feed it with about 40' of 450 ohm ladder line from a 3:1 balun at 20' on a TV mast alongside my house. I added a short piece of guy rope to pull against the ladder line and keep the antenna straight.

The tuners in my two rigs, an Icom 756P3 and a Yaesu FTdx500, load it easily. I can use it simultaneous with the other antennas with no problem for the two rigs due to the vertical vs. horizontal polarization isolation of the antennas.

The performance is about 3-6 dB lower for the vertical on 40 M compared to the V, about the same or better than the 30 M V, and about 6 dB down from the LP on 20 M. On 15-10 M the high angle radiation from the verical dipole tends to minimize it's performance, but it still works. A 20-10 meter ground plane vertical might be a better choice on those bands.

All-in-all it is a good secondary antenna for me as it does cover the bands sufficiently, and it is very stealthy. I give it a five because it definitely lets you make good contacts. It is easy to tilt over and hide when you're not using it.

WB9QVR Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Construction - Good Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been thinking about putting a vertical on the air for some time but didn't want to invest either the money or real estate to put down radials. I had been thinking about a vertical dipole since obviously such an antenna would not require radials. I had seen nothing but good reports about all of Zero-Five's models and was intrigued by their 33-foot vertical dipole.

I finally took the plunge about a week before Field Day and purchased one. I took it to FD but since we already had a number of different antennae I didn't actually put it on the air. Also, I was looking for a sturdy portatble-type mount that would stand up to the torque of a 33' piece of aluminum waving around. I found such a mount from S9 Antennas (http://www.s9antennas.com/).

Last night I was finally able to get the Zero-Five vertical dipole up in the air to test it. I pushed the S9 mount into the dry ground about 10 inches (it should actually go 22 inches into the soil). That seemed enough to hold the antenna in low-to-no wind conditions. I connected the 450-ohm ladder line to the feedpoint at the center of the vertical dipole and hoisted it onto the S9 mount. The mount held the antenna well even when mounted in such a less-than-optimal fashion. I connected the other end of the ladder line to a 4:1 balun and went inside to fire up the rig.

The IARU contest happened to be going on when I got back inside. I fired up the rig on 20m and started making contacts. Using the Zero-Five vertical dipole I found I could make contacts quite easily - even busting a number of pileups. I worked into Europe, South America and parts of Asia with relative ease. In fact after operating for about four hours total I managed to work 27 countries (several of which were new ones for me) as well as numerous domestic stations. The vast majority of the contacts were on 20 but I also made contacts on 15 and 40 meters using the antenna.

There are two downsides to this antenna. One (at least to some) is the price. This antenna sells for $329 (including shipping). Is that a lot for a vertical? Well, perhaps. However, compared to the cost of many other similar antennae and considering that it doesn't require radials which can add significantly to the cost of other verticals, I think it's reasonable. Further, this antenna is built like the proverbial tank (as are all Zero-Five products, apparently) so any concern I might have had about the cost went by the wayside as soon as I opened the box and saw its contents. The second downside is that since it is a true dipole it's fed in the center and thus one must have a way to route the ladder line away from the antenna at as close to a right angle as possible. When testing the antenna in my yard I simply draped the feedline over a tree branch to support it away from the antenna and that method seemed to work well.

In summary I highly recommend this antenna. It provides the DX performance of a vertical without the need for radials. The workmanship and hardware used to build this antenna are quite good and certainly much better than what I could do even if I had access to the materials. If you're looking for a no-radial vertical that will hold up to the elements you would to well to consider the Zero-Five vertical dipole.

KC9BGT Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2008 15:21 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT NO RADIAL VERTICAL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
after moving to a new QTH I needed a vertical to use on 10 through 40 meters. I cannot use radials here so after using zerofive products for 6 years at my other QTH. I decided on Toms new 33 foot multiband vertical dipole. I have it mounted in my back yard; it is fed with 450 ohm ladder line to my balanced tuner in my shack. I had to run it away from the vertical at 90 degrees to the house. I am very pleased with his new vertical and no need to run wire all over the back yard. I have had no problems working stations with my 200 watts. QRO will be added later after I run my 220 line. The product is built like a tank and held up in the last storm with 60mph winds. I am more than happy with the vertical and the customer service.

Thanks again for the great products

JIM
WK9P

KC9GXC Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2008 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Best Of The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I decided to move my Zero-Five 43 vertical to our cabin I and wanted another Zero-Five for the QTH. Tom suggested I try his new 33 Multi-Band vertical dipole, since he knew that I had a limited space for an extensive radial field when I had the 43 up (see my review of that antenna).
I liked the idea of no radials and a vertical for DX. This antenna is equal to the Zero-Five vertical in every respect build quality, easy assembly and it radiates, but that is what you get from Tom and the Zero-Five line bar none.
On 20m PSK during the day I worked Alaska, Serbia, Italy and France. I was using the PSK Reporter to monitor my signal propagation. My signal was being heard from my IL location coast to coast as well as Italy and Ireland with 59 reports on the QSOs I worked.
Im using an Array Solutions Balun with a ladder line feed from the antenna then coax to the shack. I have had no problems tuning it using the Icom 756Pro internal tuner.

This is one great antenna. Tom has done it again.

Randy