Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-3/80 Short Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-3/80 Short
Hi-Q-3/80 Short Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: 3" coil mobile HF antenna
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com/HiQ380.htm

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-3/80 Short.

KO4ZB Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 19:20 Send this review to a friend
best antenna ever for mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have just put one i have had on my toyota and it still works fantastic.It is built right and i always get a great signal report with it ,I have used the bug catcher ,other screwdriver antennas and this one beats them all in ease of tuning and signal strength.I had water get in one coil and do some damage i sent it back and got a brand new one with no problem,now thats customer service at its best.I have the 4" on my diesel dually and it works even better than the 3/80.

WA6MDI Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna system for over 2 years now and nary a failure. The quality and workmanship is excellent. Product support is great. I can say that with some authority as I had mine damaged by the Ford dealer when they thought they were doing me a favor and ran the pickup through the car wash and trashed the coil.

The unit was sent to Hi Q, and returned a week later and I was so satisfied that I now have three of them. One is in the attic with a Spyder antenna working as the counter poise. The other is on the rear end of my Ford Ranger and the third is a spare.

One note, tuning on 75/40 required a coil across the bottom for impedance match. Fairly easy to construct. Took a 2 inch piece of PVC, drilled a hole with some #12 hook up wire through it and did about 12 turns. Wrap the entire coil with black electrical tape and put an alligator clip on each end. I then removed 1 turn per trial until I found a match. By putting the tape over the wire, this makes it easy to keep tension on the coil and eliminates the wire from unwinding.

Also I should mention the product support from Woody, of Hi Q sales. The incident with the antenna getting wiped out by the car wash and my antenna was returned in less than a week.

In short this antenna is bullet proof, I get great reports from the West Coast on 75 meters and I am in North Texas.

Buy one, you will not be disappointed.

W5JRT Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 14:06 Send this review to a friend
A good antenna for a short one!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been running mobile HF for the past 10 years. I have always had Texas Bug Catchers on my mobiles. I decided that I wanted to give a motorized antenna a try and I finally took the plunge and purchased the Hi-Q 3-80 short.

My bug catchers had ranged in coil size from a 2.5" diameter home brew to a Henry Allen made 4-80 Texas Bugcatcher coil They have ranged in length from 8.5’ to 5.5’. The last one being 5.5'.

The Hi-Q 3-80 compares favorably to any of the bug catchers that I have owned. I believe it better that the 2.5" coil and not quite as good as the 4" dia. Bug Catcher. That comparison is understandable. The Bug Catcher is a fantastic mobile antenna and if properly installed and tuned, it is not going to be beaten by any other commercially produced mobile antenna that I know of as long as you are within the antenna “sweet spot”. It is that limited bandwidth of this “sweet spot” that made me want to try a motorized antenna.

Now with that said, if you understand anything about a mobile HF antenna installation, you will understand that coil Q and antenna mounting location is most important to satisfactory antenna performance. A larger diameter coil, within reason, and with all else all else being equal, will out perform a smaller diameter coil. How many large diameter coil screwdriver type antennas have you noticed being produced?

In addition, to the coil diameter, the mounting location and the height of the antenna’s base above ground are also most important for optimum performance. My 3-80 short is mounted in the center of my Toyota 4 wheel drive pick-up on a custom made aluminum plate that spans the bed. The base of the antenna is 4' off of the ground. By switching to the high-Q 3-80 short I have shortened the overall height of my antenna installation by 6" which makes it easier on clearing overhead obstructions. My 3-80 short is topped off with a Hi-Q EB-8 capacity hat and that certainly does work quite well.

There has much hoop-la by certain screw driver type antenna users about how their antenna performs better a Hi-Q. Let me state that most screw driver type designs do not incorporate the larger diameter coils that are found on the Hi-Q or a Texas Bug Catcher Let me further state that antenna shootouts comparing mobile HF antennas, by the manner in which they are conducted, are not antenna comparisons at all. They are done with various antennas mounted in various locations and at various heights on various vehicles. They are in fact, antenna installation comparisons, not antenna comparisons. Don't believe all the hype that you read about such. If you want to compare antennas, use the same non vehicular mount, with the same ground plane, in the same location, with the same measuring equipment, at the same date and place. Then you will begin to understand who truly has superior mobile antenna designs. I would love to see this fair comparison of the various commercially produced HF mobile antennas. Let’s have a comparison using real, available, mobile antennas, incorporating realistic overall lengths for everyday mobile use. Test them equally in a controlled environment. I believe that Charlie at Hi-Q would be game. I do not however see any other manufacturers stepping up to state that they would be so inclined.

My 10 years of mobile HF experience tells me that you would see a Texas Bug Catcher and a Hi-Q rated #1 and #2. I am not knocking any other designs. If you like them, go for it, but for my money, with the rugged design, the superior Hi-Q quality of construction, and what I believe to be a overall superior performing motorized mobile antenna, I choose Hi-Q.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2011 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent construction and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one right as Woody was taking over the sales of Hi-Q. There was some confusion on ordering during the transfer but Woody stepped up an made it right. he knows customer service.

As for the antenna performance it is just great. I use the 2' mast with a 2 lobe cap hat and it tunes 3.650 to 29.700 MHz with a SWR of below 1.5:1, except on 80 it is just below 1.9:1. With the whole antenna package being 48" tall.

I have this mounted with a Geotool stake pocket mount on my pick-up truck bed. First couple of QSO's with DX stations and they have stopped the run to ask me about the setup since it was working so well.

W9PMZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Well designed and works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna now for a year. Integrating the antenna with the IC706MKIIg and a Turbo Tuner went very smoothly.

I get very good signal reports on 40M with this antenna, and when checking into a net on 75M I can be heard.

The antenna is mounted in the trailer hitch of my Ford Explorer / Escape.

Not all that expensive by itself, but adding the mounting hardware the cost goes up...

Carl - W9PMZ

KI9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Hi-Quality & Great Service !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Hi-Q-3/80 RT since 2006. I have made hundreds of contacts and put thousands of miles on this antenna. It has performed wonderfully! I recently damaged the coil by failing to remove the antenna before pulling into the garage (ouch !). I sent it to Charlie and he made the repairs and promptly returned it. Quality and service second to none!

KI4PME Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Best Mobile Antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thank you Charlie for making a fine antenna! I just received my new 3/80 last week. This is my
second 3/80. I have a 3/80 that is 2 year's old.
I have received great reports from my old one and
the new one this week. What a complement when a ham tells you mobile right. I have owned a High Sierra 1800pro and Tarheel 300, High Sierra 1500.
All are good antenna's, but they don't resonate like the HQ 3/80. I use the Shunt 100 with all the
antenna's. I had the best performance with the 3/80. Lot of work with the Shunt 100 but the swr
is flat on all bands. Charlie stands behind his antenna's. How often can you call and talk to the
owner and designer and get you questions answered.
Highly recoment HQ Antenna's! Thank's Charlie. Mack W4MBA

K5CQJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2010 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Great HF Antenna Period!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Hi-Q 3/80RT while on a trip in Wildomar,California. I visited Charlie W6HIQ at his home since I was just up the HWY from him. Outstanding Company and products. The antenna performs like a base station and if you have the mobile bonded /grounded you are in for a surprise! It will have contacts asking you to blow your horn if your in the mobile! LOL I highly recommend this antenna, I will always use Hi-Q gear on all my mobiles as I am convienced it is top quality gear. Thanks again Charlie for such a fine product produced here in the USA! K5CQJ Al "Sarge" Heidelberg,MS "PROUD HI-Q OWNER"

WA5ICA Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2010 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a Hi-Q 3/80 for 2-1/2 years now and it is by far the best mobile antenna I have ever used. I often get comments from operators like "you don't sound like a mobile".
This antenna does need extra care in installation, it requires a good ground system and some matching to get the best performance from it, but there is plenty of advice available on what is needed.
As good as the antenna is, the customer service I have received from the manufacturer is better. I have basically destroyed the antenna twice since buying it by driving under low overheads. Both times Charlie was quick to provide repair parts to get me back on the air, and I am indebted to him for the excellent service he has provided.
I do not hesitate to recommend this antenna to anyone who needs a seriously good mobile antenna, and the new lower price makes it a bargain.

WC0K Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Hi Q evaluation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 3/80 to determine quality and effectiveness of the antenna. Both are outstanding! In a side by side comparison to a "high end" competitor the Hi-Q-3/80 performed 3 to 4 s-units stronger. The next step is to research the Hi-Q-6/160 RT and Hi-Q-6/160 EX in a 4-square configuration. Thanks to Charlie and his team for a great product. 73 mike wc0k