Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | AUDIO -COMM DOUBLE EAR BOOM MIC HEADSET Help

AUDIO -COMM  DOUBLE EAR BOOM MIC HEADSET Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Double ear headset boom mic for hf radio.

You can write your own review of the AUDIO -COMM DOUBLE EAR BOOM MIC HEADSET.

W1TEF Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2016 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive, but good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right up front, I want to say that the seller is a great communicator and was very helpful getting me set up with the correct adapters for the head phone set. I cannot complain about the customer experience. Now on to the review.

This is clearly not a "high end" headset as compared to my Heil Pro Set Elite for example, but...and this is a big is very acceptable as a kick around headset for field use.

Audio-Comm double ear boom mic headset is impressive given the price point. It is very acceptable as a set of phones and mic for use in environments where you might not want to use a more expensive set of phones (Field Day, SOTA, US IOTA, etc.). Its not a huge loss if the headset is misplaced, "appropriated", stepped on, etc. I also use it in the car which, frankly, it's not the best which I'll explain in a minute.

When I'm out and about with my KX3 and KX2 or doing NPOTA with my FT-450D, this is what I'll use. Earpiece audio is very good with plenty of volume and I've had very good reports about the microphone audio. All in all, it is a very good inexpensive headphone/mic set. I don't think the Audio-Comm headset is ideal for contesting, but again, its not designed for contesting or high end use - it's an inexpensive alternative to the more expensive headsets in environments where it might be damaged or other calamities.

Form, fit is marginal FOR ME. I have a large head (I wear a size 8 1/2 Stetson for example)so that's why the FOR ME. Others might consider this an issue, I don't - the reason is it is not a high end set of phones and I can make do by off setting the head set. If I had thought about it a little more, I might had opted for the single ear headset, but it is what it is and I like what I have. Those with more normal head shape and size won't see this problem.

After reading some of the reviews for this headset, I have to emphasize that this is NOT A HIGH END HEADSET. It is inexpensive alternative which works well. You will have to make the appropriate adjustments to mic and audio levels for your radio - for example, I had to make a few adjustments to my KX3 to get an excellent report, and it wasn't hard to do. Same with the KX2 and the 450D.

I have nothing further to say other than this isn't a Heil Pro Audio series headset - it is what it is and the customer service is very good.

Very best regards,

Tom, W1TEF

NS5U Rating: 3/5 Jul 23, 2015 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Found the source  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
5 years ago I bought these and the review is below. I was in the market for another set but the price just didn't seem competitive with the easy available of direct Chinese imports.

A short search produced apparently identical product at a price delivered of half Audio-Comm's. Performance is on par.
Lightweight good audio in/out. Shame we can't compete and make them here because the days of a few importers making large markups is fading quickly as the Chinese begin to import and market themselves. My Heil cans were replaced with the Audio-Comm's and now those are replaced.

Better than I expected this headset is lightweight and effective. The audio in and out is quite acceptable. It is a real bargain as the adapter for your radio is included and it has a volume control on the line. I find it works as well as some well known big brand headsets which cost 3x to 4x more.
W3JJM Rating: 1/5 May 5, 2015 12:58 Send this review to a friend
YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Electrical connections are made with tape. Very poor audio quality. Provider was not very helpful but polite. Bought the Koss SB45 from Walmart for 25.00 shipped to store. Much better value it seems. Threw the AudioComs in the trash.
KM1 Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2015 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's basically a gaming headset with a condenser mic, but the adapter is what makes it nice. Frankly, I would be unlikely to take the time to make the adapter myself.

It works great with a W2IHY 8 band EQ and Kenwood TS-450. With it set up like this, it works as well as the higher priced brand, gets good reports from other stations and is fairly comfortable to wear.

WA1BRI Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2015 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Very good unit!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this for my IC-718. Works very well. Good quality audio and VOX works perfectly.
Company was quick to answer my questions.
KD2FIP Rating: 0/5 Mar 15, 2015 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Chinese junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It seems that there are quite a number of people who like this headset. I can understand that a 25.00 headset isn't going to give you the same performance as a 250.00 headset, but this one was just pure junk. I would have given it a 1, but it was so bad that it didn't even make that grade.

It locked up my KX3, caused it to frequency drift, and had the worst audio that I've ever heard. I contacted the seller and his response was to "read the manual" Well, I pretty much have my kx3 manual memorized, and the manual that came with the headset ... oh wait, there was no manual with the headset. For the money I spent, I just threw them out. They weren't even worth the postage it would take for me to return them.

Think about it, you have a 1500.00 radio and you buy a 25.00 headset? What was I thinking?

Like I said, there are a bunch of people who swear by these, so you pays your money and you takes your chances. For me, I'll save up for a Heil or just get a mid priced headset from Best Buy and if it doesn't perform, I can just return it.
WB2GFN Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2015 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Amazingly good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it with the ptt. Had to use a stereo to mono adapter to work both ears on my IC7000, but I can hear well without the rig volume on max. Without changing mic gain, it does get the ssb out just a bit lower than the rig mic. Either I've got to talk a little louder or turn up the gain, to match the original output. Headband feels right, does not pinch my head.
WB4M Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2014 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Not impressed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Same experience W8ASA described. They simply would not fit correctly, I had to hold the headphones against my ears. I could not adjust the head band to make them fit properly against my ears. I thought the construction overall was below average. I thought I'd try them due to the rave reviews in here and the price, guess I got what I paid for, a cheap headset.
NC4RP Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great audio reports..excellent reception.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have tried other headsets at much higher prices and this beats them all. Works great on the Kenwood TS-590. Thanks and 73, Bob, NC4RP
KD4LDW Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2014 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Great audio reports, light weight,   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best headset I've ever owned. The heil pro-6 was heavy, hot, and very uncomfortable, and did not work well with my Kenwood 590 ts. I recommend this to any ham operator. Great price also. 73 from Walt, NC3O.