Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Drake T-4XB Help

Reviews Summary for Drake T-4XB
Drake T-4XB Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $???
Description: 160-10 meter HF transmitter, capable of 12, 17 and 30, when you buy the crystals

You can write your own review of the Drake T-4XB.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 11:31 Send this review to a friend
most advanced radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imagine a solid radio, with a copper chassis but still quite light. A compact design, with plenty of power, in excess of 100W up and even to 150W key-down. A lot of power in CW, SSB and in AM. An outstanding modulation with any mic you use (use a step up impedance mike transformer 500 to 50000 ohm if you use condenser or dynamic mike). No need to be lost in the menu to find the correct mike settings. Just buy a capsule (better ceramic or crystal), plug it and play! Lot of crystal clear modulation in AM too!!! Imagine you can use the receiver you want with it. Maybe an advanced SDR homemade receiver. Imagine a radio that does not depend on extinct programmed components or glued SMT but on components you can easily replace. A radio that does not make you dull, a radio that depends on you, not you to depend on the radio. A radio designed to be serviceable by you (be careful anyway with high voltages). A radio for which you will find lot of support from friends over the internet. A radio that does not make you feel you have studied for nothing, that allows you to learn, making you an old man while others get old pushing buttons with the goal of finding just a menu... imagine a radio that already lasted 40 years and will last centuries... image this marvel made in the USA! And... BUY IT!

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2008 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Love Mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own a "B" line and a few other HF radios from across the pacific ocean. My primary radio is my "B" Line. It has better ears, better transmit sound, nearly better everything, than my Kenwood TS-570, or the 599 Twins I have. Better than my recently sold TS-940S. The only radio I ever had, that I liked more than my "B" Line, was my old Collins S-Line. Had it not been for a financial bad spot I was in, I would still have it. But, I am totally and completely satisfied with the T-4XB. 150 watts output, WARC bands (-60M), and the best sounding, on air, CW rig, I ever ran. I could easily sell a few of my boatanchors, and get a ProIII, but I don't need, nor want, all the gimmicks, no matter how useful they are. I'll stick with my "B" Line!!!