Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Lafayette HA-600A Help

Reviews Summary for Lafayette HA-600A
Lafayette HA-600A Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $100-$170
Description: 150 - 30000 KHz Solid State, Single Conversion receiver
1970-1975

You can write your own review of the Lafayette HA-600A.

KAPT4560 Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2015 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Better than I thought.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this solid state 'boatanchor' on the eHam classifieds about a month ago. It was in very good cosmetic and electrical condition. It had been stored for awhile untouched and came in the original box with the original manual. The inner packing medium was the WSJ from 1984. I believe that the radio itself is from ~1973.
The original manual was a little different than the one shown on the internet as it gives E-C voltages and test notes on the schematic and has an addenda on the 12 volt plug at the rear panel behind the serial number plate for mobile/outdoor camping use. I wouldn't have looked for the connector there.
Dad and I went to Lafayette store back when I was a kid and I remember this radio on the demo shelf when I was around 13 yo (1971). Lafayette sold this model from 1969-1976.
I liked the tall business-like front panel and attractive styling. It had that new radio smell! All it picked up inside the store was the fluorescent lights though.
Some minor cleaning was in order and the only real adjustment that I made was RV4, the regulated 9 volt supply off Tr11. It was initially around 12.7 volts. After setting the regulator, switch the function between Send (standby) and a receive function to test the regulator. The 9 volts should sit rock-steady with or without load changes.
While it has no xtal selectivity, the 2 ceramic, single mechanical filters, product detector and transmitter control accessory plug at the rear panel make this radio somewhat suitable for amateur radio use as well as good SWL.
I listen to it nightly.

KD5FPO Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2011 08:17 Send this review to a friend
A good old, solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given my HA-600 in 1995 by Keith, KB5APB, for helping him move some furniture in his house. The radio had sat for years in a dry Albuquerque garage without being used. The controls were stiff and very noisy, but after a few shots of Deoxit the thing played surprisingly well, however the ant. trimmer is still a bit scratchy. The radio had been kept clean by a fitted vinyl cover and the paint and overall condition are very good. It's still used periodically. It tends to be a bit hard of hearing on the upper frequencies above about 21.0 MHz, but the low & midband performance is remarkable for a single conversion unit that has never been tampered with. It sits in a place of distinction in my shack along with my FT-101E, and my HTX-100. 73 Michael

W6QT Rating: 2/5 Jun 2, 2010 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Poor Imagine Rejection  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice looking set, but is single conversion and prone to frequency drift. No internal speaker, so I hooked up a speaker through the earphone jack and was able to tune in stations, but reception was very poor. The set I tested needed alignment and recapping, so I'll reserve any further judgment until that is completed.

N4UE Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Not bad ay all!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, OK, I like Lafayette receivers. I have a couple of dozen. Recently, I have been watching ePay, er. eBay for some 'deals' on Lafayette receivers I don't have.

Most of mine are tube - type from back in the 60's. However, recently, I picked up a nice HA-600A for the sum of $9.99. For that price, I didn't expect much, but when it arrived today, I was pleasently surprised.
Although it worked out of the box, the controls were noisy, the paint was 'fair', etc.
First thing to do was a new 3 prong line cord (which EVERY radio, test equipment, etc, I redo receives)...

I did a disassemply of the front panel to polish the plastic face plate. Washed the knobs, sanded and resprayed the cover, etc. The chassis was mint and you could tell by looking at the slugs, no one had 'golden screwdrivered' it!!! After cleaning and lubing everything that moved, I was VERY surprised at how the old girl played.
I have a 15 Meter dipole up about 30 feet leading into my shop. WWV at 10 MHz was LOUD and clear. Even the s-meter was generous!!

The radio looks brand new and I had a great time redoing her. I was going to check the alignment, but it works so good the way it is, I'll leave it alone for now...

tnx