Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Nagoya NA-774 Help

Reviews Summary for Nagoya NA-774
Nagoya NA-774 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 144/430Mhz dual band telescopic antenna

You can write your own review of the Nagoya NA-774.

W3FIS Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2011 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Comparable to my Diamond RH77CA. Diamond is more rugged however. The joint and the collapsible feature makes it handier for travel than the Diamond. I have to pack the Diamond in my check-through luggage for air travel, not the Nagoya.

UK1 Rating: 2/5 Aug 17, 2008 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These Nagoya antennas are available at low prices on eBay from Chinese sellers. I have never seen them for sale outside of these sources, and there appears to be little information about them around on the 'net. They are available with various different connectors (BNC, SMA, SMA-F to fit the Puxing tranceivers etc).

The NA-774 is a short telescopic antenna measuring 135mm collapsed and 425mm extended. As usual with Chinese gear the stated claims are likely to be incorrect and should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the gain is claimed as 2.15 db. However, since this claims to be dual band, what is this figure meant to mean - on VHF or UHF? Both?

I tried an SMA version for use on my Icom IC-R2 and newer Uniden UBC3500XLT scanner. Annoyingly, Uniden have for some reason switched from the superior BNC connector, so unless I now use the lossy adaptor I cannot use my old (good) BNC antennas, and there are far fewer SMA antennas around...

These antennas are certainly cheap at around $14US delivered, but they feel that cheap. The telescopic element has a screw base so it can swivel 90 degrees if preferred. I hate antennas with this design, as apart from the constant need to straighten the element, the screw always works loose and requires frequent re-tightening which eventually chews up the screw-head. Sure enough, this one worked very loose quickly. It should have been designed with some kind of sliding sleeve to keep it vertical.

I've never found a better antenna for VHF than a telescopic, but unfortunately at less than 17" this is a little short on VHF, and doesn't receive nearly as well as my other telescopics such as the Yupiteru's. Receive on upper VHF above 2m seems OK but UHF is poor.

It may have its uses, but not all telescopic antennas are the same...