Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Nagoya NA-771 Help

Reviews Summary for Nagoya NA-771
Nagoya NA-771 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $15
Description: Handheld 144/430MHz dual band antenna. Gain: 2.15db / 3.0db. Max power: 10 Watts

You can write your own review of the Nagoya NA-771.

N6MED Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2014 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buying a Nagoya antenna from eBay is definitely a "Buyer Beware!!"proposition

I recently purchased two "Nagoya" antennas, one genuine (fitting my Baofeng UV82)and the other counterfeit (intended for my Yaesu FT-270R)-- both from the same Hong Kong-based eBay seller! When confronted, he claimed that he had been getting the genuine articles from his supplier and pleaded ignorance to some of his stock being counterfeited. I became frustrated on finding a trustworthy seller for Nagoya and bit the bullet for a Diamond SRH77 from a well known domestic Ham equipment dealer. [BTW: the antenna connectors on the Baofeng and Yaesu are opposite genders.]

Genuine Nagoya antennas are mfg'd by REUEX Industrial Co., Ltd. in Taiwan. REUEX packages their antennas in a yellow slip case (similar to that used by Diamond antennas) with rectangular holographic trademark label (or labels) affixed. Product information lettering on the slip case is in a sans serif typeface with the frequency and etc white on red (e.g., "144/430 DUAL BAND HAND HELD ANTENNA). Gain, power capability, and dimensions are in black sans serif type face directly on the clear side of the slip case. REUEX uses a silver-on-black logo label on the base of the antenna itself. I have been unable to verify conclusively whether or not Nagoya also uses a blue-on-black label. However, the 771 antenna depicted on the REUEX/Nagoya website clearly has a black-on-silver logo on its base.

The counterfeit antenna was packaged in a flimsy orange slip case of material about 1/2 the thickness of the genuine article and had a poor quality round holographic label. Lettering on the slip case is blue with white outline in a serif typeface. The antenna description is on a white background lead white Chinese characters and English as (note the misspelling) "Flexiable Spring Whip." Additional particulars are white serif typeface characters on the clear portion of the slip case.

I have done no empirical testing Nor has Reuex Industrial Co., Ltd. answered repeated my repeated inquiries. However, various other comments on the web have attested to genuine markings on Nagoya antennas & the inferior quality of the counterfeit Nagoya's over the genuine article. "Works great" is much too subjective a comment. However, Julian Moss G4ILO has swept a fake and the genuine article. Ref: http://blog.g4ilo.com/2012/08/fake-or-genuine.html

Email n6med@arrl.net and I'll forward you photos (in a pdf) of what the counterfeit and OEM packaging and markings look like.

KC9DYN Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid $8.00 for this antenna shipped to my home.

This antenna replaced the stock antenna, which was the the short version on a Baofeng UV-5R+

This antenna works very well on the receive side as well as transmit. I can hit hit repeaters on 2M and 440 which I did not think would be possible from my location.

This antenna is very good replacement if you're looking for something with a little more punch to it.

Try this antenna, you should not be disappointed.

N3IBX Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2013 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Nagoya NA-771 to improve the range of my Baofeng UV-5RA and it does a admirable job, outperforming the stock antenna by a wide margin. I tried it on my 2W Baofeng UV-3r+ where I could barely get into a local repeater about 10 miles away before. I couldn't use this HT when I wanted to get into the repeater with the stock antenna. I was just too marginal into the repeater. With the Nagoya antenna I am full quieting and can now use the UV-3R+ to get into my favorite local repeater. You can get them for around $9 from ebay.

KG4DUF Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
I like it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased two; one for the Baofeng UV-5RA and one for the Baofeng UV-5R Plus.

Rubber duck into a Repeater 7.5 miles away sounded OK (little bit of static)...popped the Nagoya NA-771 on it and the signal became crystal clear.

Am also able to hit Repeaters up to 30 miles away (4 watts)and my home Repeater 7.5 miles away with 1 watt. Once made a 2 meter simplex contact 22 miles away, the other guy had a Yagi 40 feet up, but still :)

There is a tiny, tiny gap between the antenna and the radio that a washer can take care of...no concern there.

Not bad for the price.

K0NHV Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2013 16:51 Send this review to a friend
I've got one of these...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
and it outperforms the stock Duck on the Wouxun KG-UVD1P, BUT...I also have a Jetstream JTH4 that outperforms that (by a very small margin) and is a better made antenna for maybe a couple of bucks more.

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2013 07:15 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one of these to replace the useless stock antenna. It works fine HOWEVER I did put a grommet under the antenna as I screwed it on to make it seat snuggly. As it comes the base skirt is to short to seat all the way down like the original antenna. Works way better than the stock antenna. Of course it has not real gain, the stated gain figures are misleading as it is based on a isotropic. so minus 2.15db to get the real gain figure.

All in all for the money its fine.

KB6GK Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2013 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Got two. Both defective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I bought a counterfeit from China via ebay for a few bucks. It came as a Diamond. It was a dud. Then, I ordered a genuine Nagoya 771 (supposedly), from a well know little Beofeng shop in Texas.
Both had the same problem. When touched to the radio, they worked. When screwed in, they did not.
The female receptacle seems too large in both, and does not make contact when screwed in.
Pretty much junk in both cases. I don't have time to tear into a new antenna and make it work when it is a presumably fairly simple device that is supposed to do it's passive job when it is new, and for a long, long time after.
I am using a Expert Power antenna on my Beofeng, and it works fine. I contacted the shop in Texas, and expect them to send me a tested, working replacement. We'll see.

K5EGG Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2013 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Think of it as a kit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
You have to admit that the raw materials would cost you more than the $7-ish you spend ordering one of these off ebay direct from china.

I suggest disassemble the antenna upon arrival... Re-solder the cold solder joints to the coil, grind/file cover so the 'SMA Shroud' portion fits your radio properly, then apply plenty of glue when reassembling the unit. You will then have a very reliable antenna for $7 and 15 minutes worth of your time.

I personally use this antenna on 2m and 440 with great results on a Wouxun UV2D. A significant upgrade to the stock antenna on both 2m and 440.

KB5ZSM Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Older one great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm surprised by the reviews on this antenna. I have owned mine for a few years and the quality and performence have been great on both bands. I use mine on a Kenwood TH-F6 and it has put the stock antenna to shame. Maybe they have let the quality control go to H&$L since I bought mine. Now I wish I had bought more of them back then.

N4WDR Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2012 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Counterfeit from Ebay, not a review of REAL thing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one of these from China on Ebay for $6.
Used on a Baofeng UV5R. Purchased as Nagoya 771, arrived labelled "Diamond 771" in incorrect print colors. But hey, $6 for a Rolex?

Works great, repeaters that I had trouble with from specific locations in the house with the OEM antenna now work full quieting from everywhere. And the radio runs cooler than with the obviously poorly tuned OEM duck. The SMA connector is not quite the right length though and leaves a 1mm gap to the radio body which needs a washer or o-ring to fill.

However, experience with others varies from remarks of dissatisfaction with counterfeits. I suspect the tuning of most counterfeits and perhaps even real Chinese OEM antennas is highly suspect.