Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Nagoya NA-771 Help

Reviews Summary for Nagoya NA-771
Nagoya NA-771 Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $15
Description: Handheld 144/430MHz dual band antenna. Gain: 2.15db / 3.0db. Max power: 10 Watts

You can write your own review of the Nagoya NA-771.

VE6ICE Rating: 0/5 Sep 12, 2016 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Buy genuine or risk radio damage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Technical considerations:

There are at least three versions of this antenna:

-SMA Male,
-SMA-RP Female (Reverse Polarity SMA), and
-BNC

Make sure you order the correct one for your radio. Kenwood NXDN commercial radios and Baofeng take SMA-RP Female.

Buying advice - cautionary tale:

It is very easy to purchase a counterfeit version of this antenna on eBay. I did, and was able to get a full refund by contacting the seller with evidence of counterfeit. The seller did not require me to return the item.

Best to ask the seller to confirm it is an original item before buying. An orange bag, or a yellow bag is a dead give-away of counterfeit. If you get a green bag, and there is no spacer included in the bag, this is also a counterfeit. So a good way to distinguish may be to ask the seller if a spacer is included.

This website provides more detail:

So what if it is a counterfeit? I notice a lot of discussion in the forums regarding the merits of buying counterfeits so I thought it best to apply the scientific method. Fortunately the outcomes are not in the least bit ambiguous.

Unit under test:

I bought an SMA-RP Female version of the NA-771. It came in and orange bag like the one shown on the counterfeit identification website. (There was no orange bag in the photo that the seller displayed on eBay.)

Test Results:

I tested the alleged Nagoya NA-771 antenna on a Rohde & Schwarz ZVH8 Antenna tester using an N-to-SMA Male adapter. For comparison purposes, I tested a Diamond SRH77CA at the same time using an N-to-SMA Female Adapter. Here are the VSWR test results:

NA-771 (Orange Bag) Counterfeit
===============================
VSWR = 1:4.9/1:4.7/1:4.7 @ 144/146/148MHz (yes two were 1:4.7 not a typo, the profile had a minimum there)
VSWR = 1:13.5/1:13.0/1:11.0 @ 420/435/450MHz

Diamond SRH77CA 2m/70cm (Yellow Bag) Genuine
============================================
VSWR = 1:2.6/1:2.4/1:2.1 @ 144/146/148MHz
VSWR = 1:3.0/1:1.7/1:1.2 @ 420/435/450MHz

So, the NA-771 under test was not only a counterfeit, it was a badly made counterfeit. A VSWR this high could easily damage your radio.

K4ISR Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2016 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Legit 771 is great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am familiar with the real versus fakes when it comes to these antennas (and Baofeng radios which have fakes too). I actually have one of each, 1 real, 1 fake, and I've done the testing and numbers with several of each. The (real) 771 is a great antenna for 2m and quality built. For UHF 70cm, it is on par with stock rubber ducky (as in not great, 2/5), and for primarily UHF use (or do both 2m/70cm bands), the 701 is a much better all around antenna. For 1.25m/220MHz there is a 702.

The fake 771/701s can come in anywhere from same quality as the real ones (3 or 4 out of 5), to complete junk (0/5). There are resources out there on how to determine real versus fake.

K2II Rating: 1/5 Aug 24, 2015 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Chinese counterfeit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Many alleged Nagoya N-771 are in reality Chinese counterfeit junk.
The one I received has a blue label on the base; the authentic Nagoya is a grey-ish silver and the packaging sleeve of the authentic Nagoya is YELLOW.
The packaging sleeve for this counterfeit copy that I received is ORANGE.
Ebay and Amazon are unknowingly the selling marketplace for Chinese knock off Nagoya antennas. Beware.

KE4ZHN Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2015 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these thinking it would boost the performance of my BF-F8HP. It is built nicely, it looks great. The extra length would lead you to believe it should have a little gain over the stock duck antenna. Running side by side comparisons on 2 meters and 70 cm and the stock duck antenna blows this thing away. Listening to the FM broadcast band on it and the stock duck picks up stations this piece of garbage can't even hear! Apparently, the extra length it has must be a built in internal dummy load. Save your money, this thing is garbage.

N8ZEE Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2015 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Great add on  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put it on my BF-FH8P, which had a good antenna in the first place. I hit a repeater with the 771, at full extension, that I could not hit with the original in Detroit. It said Max watt is 5, I have used it now for two weeks at the full 8watts, and it is still working great. Not extended, it was similar to the original. A friend of mine who has in the past, helped me with testing different antennas came through again. My baofeng uv5r with the org. Antenna talking simplex, he gave me a s7, with the 771, he gave me10 over, some will say, not a big increase, but it still is an increase. I will be testing my FH8P in the future, ran out of time that night. I have bought 3 more for my other radios. The antenna left a thin gap between it and the radio. But the rubber gasket that came with it, filled it.
I am very pleased with it, and recommend it highly.

My friend and I have tested 5 different antennas and this is the one I am using on all my radios.
I recommend testing it with a friend, as I did to really see the difference.
I will report on the F8HP in a few weeks.

VK3DMN Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2014 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Cheap and they work.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought 2 of these from a Hong Kong ebay seller and they arrived in proper yellow Nagoya plastic packaging for use with my Yaesu FT-270R and FT250R. On both 2 metre hand helds the improvement over the stock rubber ducky antenna is between 2 and 3 S points. Downside is there is a bit of a gap between the radio and the base of the antenna which I strongly suspect compromises the weather proof rating of the radios and the longer antenna makes clipping them to my belt annoying. Excellent value for money though.

KD8UEI Rating: 3/5 Oct 13, 2014 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Not much imporvement for UV-82  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna for my Baofeng UV-82 which has a better-than-average stock antenna. The performance over stock is marginal. I cannot get into any repeaters that I couldn't get into before, and no one has commented that my signal is better with the Nagoya. I'm sure it would help some radios with poor stock antennas, but not the UV-82 so much. If I had to do it over again, I'd look for a different antenna to replace the stock or stick with the stock antenna.

KB9EZL Rating: 1/5 Sep 24, 2014 15:52 Send this review to a friend
I tried it!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just tested this antenna against the stock antenna in the same location, same repeater, same power settings,
10 seconds apart, and listened for receive quieting. I could not see any difference. I'm in a fringe area to the
repeater and receive quieting was the same for both antennas. A fella needs to see what the field strength is using a
good signal analyzer to see if RF levels show a difference. The advertised gain factor showed quite a bit of gain. I
doubt that this antenna is any better than the stock antenna. I'm thinking I wasted my money on this antenna and should
have gotten the MFJ-1714S antenna for a little more money. FYI- I checked to make sure that the antenna wasn't a
counterfeit.

The longer length of the antenna is also a inconvenience compared to the stock antenna. What good is it if it doesn't
perform better? The antenna wasn't tested on the UHF band but it might be better on it and since I am too far away
from the UHF repeater to see how it would perform on that band, I really can't give it a review on that band.

N6MED Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2014 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buying a Nagoya antenna from eBay is definitely a "Buyer Beware!!"proposition

I recently purchased two "Nagoya" antennas, one genuine (fitting my Baofeng UV82)and the other counterfeit (intended for my Yaesu FT-270R)-- both from the same Hong Kong-based eBay seller! When confronted, he claimed that he had been getting the genuine articles from his supplier and pleaded ignorance to some of his stock being counterfeited. I became frustrated on finding a trustworthy seller for Nagoya and bit the bullet for a Diamond SRH77 from a well known domestic Ham equipment dealer. [BTW: the antenna connectors on the Baofeng and Yaesu are opposite genders.]

Genuine Nagoya antennas are mfg'd by REUEX Industrial Co., Ltd. in Taiwan. REUEX packages their antennas in a yellow slip case (similar to that used by Diamond antennas) with rectangular holographic trademark label (or labels) affixed. Product information lettering on the slip case is in a sans serif typeface with the frequency and etc white on red (e.g., "144/430 DUAL BAND HAND HELD ANTENNA). Gain, power capability, and dimensions are in black sans serif type face directly on the clear side of the slip case. REUEX uses a silver-on-black logo label on the base of the antenna itself. I have been unable to verify conclusively whether or not Nagoya also uses a blue-on-black label. However, the 771 antenna depicted on the REUEX/Nagoya website clearly has a black-on-silver logo on its base.

The counterfeit antenna was packaged in a flimsy orange slip case of material about 1/2 the thickness of the genuine article and had a poor quality round holographic label. Lettering on the slip case is blue with white outline in a serif typeface. The antenna description is on a white background lead white Chinese characters and English as (note the misspelling) "Flexiable Spring Whip." Additional particulars are white serif typeface characters on the clear portion of the slip case.

I have done no empirical testing Nor has Reuex Industrial Co., Ltd. answered repeated my repeated inquiries. However, various other comments on the web have attested to genuine markings on Nagoya antennas & the inferior quality of the counterfeit Nagoya's over the genuine article. "Works great" is much too subjective a comment. However, Julian Moss G4ILO has swept a fake and the genuine article. Ref: http://blog.g4ilo.com/2012/08/fake-or-genuine.html

Email n6med@arrl.net and I'll forward you photos (in a pdf) of what the counterfeit and OEM packaging and markings look like.

KC9DYN Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid $8.00 for this antenna shipped to my home.

This antenna replaced the stock antenna, which was the the short version on a Baofeng UV-5R+

This antenna works very well on the receive side as well as transmit. I can hit hit repeaters on 2M and 440 which I did not think would be possible from my location.

This antenna is very good replacement if you're looking for something with a little more punch to it.

Try this antenna, you should not be disappointed.