Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Nagoya NA-771 Help

Reviews Summary for Nagoya NA-771
Nagoya NA-771 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $15
Description: Handheld 144/430MHz dual band antenna. Gain: 2.15db / 3.0db. Max power: 10 Watts

You can write your own review of the Nagoya NA-771.

K5EGG Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2013 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Think of it as a kit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
You have to admit that the raw materials would cost you more than the $7-ish you spend ordering one of these off ebay direct from china.

I suggest disassemble the antenna upon arrival... Re-solder the cold solder joints to the coil, grind/file cover so the 'SMA Shroud' portion fits your radio properly, then apply plenty of glue when reassembling the unit. You will then have a very reliable antenna for $7 and 15 minutes worth of your time.

I personally use this antenna on 2m and 440 with great results on a Wouxun UV2D. A significant upgrade to the stock antenna on both 2m and 440.

KB5ZSM Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Older one great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm surprised by the reviews on this antenna. I have owned mine for a few years and the quality and performence have been great on both bands. I use mine on a Kenwood TH-F6 and it has put the stock antenna to shame. Maybe they have let the quality control go to H&$L since I bought mine. Now I wish I had bought more of them back then.

N4WDR Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2012 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Counterfeit from Ebay, not a review of REAL thing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one of these from China on Ebay for $6.
Used on a Baofeng UV5R. Purchased as Nagoya 771, arrived labelled "Diamond 771" in incorrect print colors. But hey, $6 for a Rolex?

Works great, repeaters that I had trouble with from specific locations in the house with the OEM antenna now work full quieting from everywhere. And the radio runs cooler than with the obviously poorly tuned OEM duck. The SMA connector is not quite the right length though and leaves a 1mm gap to the radio body which needs a washer or o-ring to fill.

However, experience with others varies from remarks of dissatisfaction with counterfeits. I suspect the tuning of most counterfeits and perhaps even real Chinese OEM antennas is highly suspect.

N3OQD Rating: 1/5 Nov 23, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality BaoFeng UV-5r duck upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered two of these off of e-bay. One for a friend of mine and the other for myself. The one speficically for me physically failed as the connecting base came unscrewed from it's surrounding outer plastic shell. This instead of the entire assembly unscrewing directly from the radio like it was supposed to do. It is some kind of capacitive inductance coupling inside the piece that came out of the shell. A tiny sleeve in the top of the base that dislodged, it contains a sleeve that surrounds the coil at the base of the antenna when screwed in. Anyway, I put it back together and tried it. Was unable to bring up a local 2 meter repeater that the stock duck successfully did on my BaoFeng VU-5R. Then I tried the one that was not broken and this too did not bring up the repeaters like the stock duck did. Great toy for my cat though. It is sold as a "Nagoya NA-771" but the antenna and sleeve say "Diamond RH-771".

W4JPS Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2012 19:47 Send this review to a friend
It is a Diamond SRH77CA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Waiting on the rigs for these, and will re-review after I get some empirical data points.

However, it appears to be a typical 1/4 wave unity gain antenna for 2m and 1/2 wave for 70cm.

It is more than noteworthy to mention that this antenna appears identical to the DIAMOND SRH77CA in every way vice the logo. Even that has the same font and the packaging is the same... I am guessing NAGOYA is either the OEM or somehow affiliated with DIAMOND.

KA3YVS Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2012 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Decent antenna for the money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna on Ebay directly from China. It arrived in about 2 weeks. It has greatly improved my receive and transmit on VHF and is slightly better on UHF compared to the stock antenna that came with my Baofeng UV-5R. My only complaints are that it threads into the radio tightly and doesn't seat properly onto the top of the radio leaving a gap. I have 2 of these radios and it was difficult to screw on with both radios. I went to Lowes and picked up a 2-pack of rubber washers from the "drawer" section of the hardware department. The drawer was labeled "hard to find". The size is 5/16 x 3/4 x 1/16, hillman p/n#880370. I placed the washer between the radio and antenna and it sealed the gap making it more water resistant. This fix was much easier than sending the antenna back to China. In an unrelated review, I also purchased the 3600ma battery and it doubled the usuable time between charges so I recommend the new battery as well. 73!

VE1IGP Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2011 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent VHF, Ok, UHF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good on VHF. Signals that were not withing range before now are.
UHF is mediocre. SWR is 3 near 440mhz. It's usable, but not stellar. More concerning is most of the BNC antennas in my box exhibit similar charateristics, and wear brand names that warrant much higher quality.

It arrived to the door for a grand total of $11 cdn.

I'd give it a 5, except for it's showing in the 70cm range.

For the $ spent, you can't beat it.

KF7LNX Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Really Good Antenna for 2m/Commerical VHF Listening.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had this antenna for about 3-4 months now and this antenna is by far, very superior over the stock rubber duckie for my Icom IC-V82 as far as quality-wise and listening-wise. I don't have the ability to test out the 70cm band because I don't have a 70 cm radio to test on, but I have my 2m radio to test on and this is where I will based my review from.

The durability of the antenna is what I have expected as it thrives when I am out railfanning or out on my bike or hiking on the mountains. This antenna has been through all of the harsh elements and been through several falls with me and it works well for me.

Listening and Transmissing on my Icom Handheld has gotten a whole lot easier with the Nagoya Antenna. On my favorite repeater, which is located some 40 miles away from me with an altitude of 3000 ft above the valley, when I used my rubber duckie antenna, I can hit the repeater with no problems, but the thing is that I have to be very precise of my location because of coverage and propagation of the coverage. However, with the NA-771, it has dramatically improved listening wise and I won't have to worry of standing on the exact location. It is also a good antenna if I am out mobile in my car as some people told me that I was doing well in my car with the NA-771 over the stock rubber duckie.

Plus, when I go out railfanning or listen into School Districts or State Patrol on the commercial band, the Nagoya Antenna noticeably improves on receiving transmission over my stock antenna. This antenna works well in the broad VHF-Hi section.

To me, this Nagoya NA-771 will be with my radio for a very long time because this antenna performs to my greatest satisfaction as a Ham, a railfan, and a general radio listener. I don't know what difference will it be noticed on the 70 cm as I have no way to test it, but as for the 2m, it is a good boost for handhelds if you can't have a base or a mobile antenna for your handheld or need a antenna with a good boost without boosting the price higher.

I highly recommend this antenna from my point of view and experience.

PD0AC Rating: 1/5 Jun 22, 2011 03:23 Send this review to a friend
Look elsewhere  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is cheap, just like most other Nagoya models. And there must be millions of them, because almost every eBayer tries to sell you one.

I didn't experience any mechanical problems. Performance however is a mixed bag. Good, maybe even great on VHF, quite deaf on UHF. This was a surprise, as the Nagoya NA-666 and the NA-701 proved to be great performers.

This antenna is almost 40cm long, but in this case size doesn't matter. Better go for the NA-701 (length 21cm, sturdy) or the NA-666 (length 23cm, flexible but easily damaged at the base).

KD8DVR Rating: 0/5 Jun 21, 2011 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Great performance,, POOR quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use them.. On my second one, due too poor construction quality. The performance certainly exceeds the stock antenna, but the consrruction may or may not be a deal breaker.

The cover, at the connector comes off pretty much right out of the bag! There is noglue or anything protecting the loading coils or anything at the base of the antenna... You attach it to the HT and the plastic cover comes off...

Second antenna, same exact deal.

I must rate it at its lowest rating, simply because of very poor construction on two different antennas over a 6 month time span, Both antennas had this defect in the very first day!

too bad. Performance is great.. quality control poor. I rate a ZERO for Quality... Too bad. If it didn't fall apart it would rate a 4 at least :(