Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-511 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-511
Kenwood TS-511 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10-80 USB,LSB,CW - 10 vacuum tube rig 500watts PEP, 300watts CW
More info: http://kenwood.com/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-511.

N0UNI Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2011 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Super Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got ahold of a 511S a while back and all I can say is its a slick old rig. It is what it is. A very simple strong radio. Receive on it is great and has 500PEP worth of power. Not much info on it out there. My 511S has on the MODE switch USB LSB CW and TUN. Some rigs dont have the TUN portion.

Its Kenwoods first transceiver. Its a simple radio without a lot of bells and whistles.

K8RBV Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2003 09:58 Send this review to a friend
An amazing rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first sideband rig. Worked the world on CW and phone with minimal antennas. I rate it high due to its many features for a small price. Sold my original, but bought another later due to nostalgia. Now, if I could only find an operator's manual.

WA3RPG Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2003 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first radio, still in its original box in the attic. Very under appreciated by the ham world. And 500 watts barefoot! Match that today!!

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2002 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Wish I Kept Mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I might be nuts, but this was one radio I think can be compared to some of the Drake radios of 70's vintage. Had one as a teenager as WA2QHN.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2000 23:52 Send this review to a friend
A sleeper!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, the rating would have to be compared to other tube rigs. I have, or have had a bunch of the old 10-80 tube xcvrs, and never came across anything that came close to the TR4CW/rit until I picked up a Kenwood TS511S. I have many of the others, even KWM2A. The TS511S is a solid rig (unlike others) has a CW filter, good audio both ends, and good readout. It must weigh 3 times an SB102! If you've used a TS520, then you can compare it to that. They are similar in operation and performance. Compare these features to a Swan or Galaxy or WHATEVER.....
25 Kc calibrator,
VOX standard,
CW filter,
very low drift,
built in fan.
Well, the only things I can think about it that some may object to are the sweep tubes, no AM (I see as a plus!), and it is a hard rig to find!