Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft MA5VA Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA5VA
Cushcraft MA5VA Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $$270.00
Description: 5 band vertical with radials
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA5VA.

W1DLA Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2011 03:17 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, dunno what the problem is with the first couple reviews here. But, I bought one used and had it up for a year...finally replaced it because of the limit on power and to play with a beam.

Bottom line...the one I bought was pretty well made. I replaced the coax, threw it up and worked near WAS and a lot of DX on a few bands on it.

Construction quality was not a problem...as good as any I've tried...and it handled weather well. Tunes and goes up easily.

Just wrote the review because I felt the earlier reviews are misleading here.

VE2JKA Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 12:18 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Friends,

wow after reading the two other reviews I kind of debated whether to post my review or not...Please note that this is my first omni hf antenna and bearing that in mind you might find my review totally out of contrast with the other(s) bellow, however this is my review un-edited.

------```------------```------------```

I bought my ma5va antenna from durhamradiodotcom about one Month ago and waited for the weather to get a little warmer before I install it.

I know it's Easter Sunday today but, what ya gonna do! ..

Okay it took a whole two hours from unpacking, assembly, installation.

Excellent job on the manual as usual for most Cushcraft antenioums.

All instructions and measurements were followed as per the manual, I was feeling lucky so I did not fire up the antenna analyzer I went straight to the roof and up she went (approx 30').. (careful with the radials I installed them on the roof and had to go back down twice to pick up the fallen radial..it's tricky)...

Ok the moment of truth SWR! ... I am feeding this antenna with a LMR-400 and crimp connectors..

80' of lmr-400 @ 100W FM ts-2000x

20 Meters 14.168 ~ 14.300 1.1:1 avrg.
17 Meters 18.100 ~ 18.168 flat
15 Meters 21.150 ~ 21.350 1.5:1 avrg.
12 Meters 24.900 ~ 24.990 flat
10 Meters 28.250 ~ 28.700 1.5:1 avrg.

Bellow and above the described freq. swr starts rising above 2:1

20 Meter Band was quite, however I did manage these 2 qso's

First contact: Slovenia 5/3
Second: Georgia USA 5/9+

In closing.. No problems here.. 5/5

I took some pictures if you want to see them follow the link bellow.

73'

VE1NB Rating: 1/5 Nov 25, 2008 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Great on paper, poor construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently, this antenna was installed for a local ham by others. It was/is installed at 90 feet, on top of an apartment building elevator shaft.

It was purchased originally due to its low profile, and listed catalogue specifications.

The antenna, was easy to assemble and tune; and performed as expected for its design and size.

However, the materials used in its construction have been found to be sub-standard. Examples are: The length of coax came supplied with a crimp on connector. The fibreglass insulator mast section at the base is hollow therefore weak.

This antenna was supposed to have an 80 mph wind rating... however, this fibreglass section snapped off during a recent wind storm where guts were measured to be a mximum of 40 mph.

So, .. the price of this antenna, with its mechanical weakness due to cheap materials leads to the recommendation that one should not buy this antenna.

N5IVZ Rating: 2/5 Aug 24, 2008 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Not the Old Cushcraft i knew  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this antenna about a month ago. Instructions were confusing but i got it built. Very tricky on settings for the bands.

Not satisfied with the quality of the components. Balun was to be wrapped in cheap coax that was crimped.

I owned an R5 vertical that lasted me 12 years. My A 3 kicked butt.. this antenna does not measure up to the same quality...