Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | SQBM500 MKII Dual Bander Super Gainer 2m/70cm Help

Reviews Summary for SQBM500 MKII Dual Bander Super Gainer 2m/70cm
SQBM500 MKII Dual Bander Super Gainer 2m/70cm Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $70 in UK Feb 2009
Description: Fibreglass Vertical Colinear
More info: http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Amateur-Radio/Base-Vertical-Antennas/Dual-and-Triband-Colinear/SQBM500MKII-Dual-Bander-Super-Gainer

You can write your own review of the SQBM500 MKII Dual Bander Super Gainer 2m/70cm.

G3OCR Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2015 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Very good in a difficult situation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently moved from a location with a garden to a 1st floor flat/apartment, with no outside access, so the attic seemed to be the answer for antennas. Unfortunately my old X-300 was just a foot too tall to fit and I finally found the SQBM500 on "sale" at Moonraker (UK)and it looked like it would JUST fit - which it did.

The antenna arrived and inspecting it showed excellent materials and quality workmanship, which impressed me (better than the X-300 which I though quite good) at the very competitive price.

The SQBM500 is now secured in its place in the attic and fully operational. Compared with my old X-300 (outside with the base around 15 feet above ground, at about the same ASL) it seems pretty good, and I get into all the repeaters that I did before, plus one that I've never worked before, about 30 miles away with some high ground in between. A UHF repeater, also around 30 miles away with terrain between, is a good Q5 both ways too. Pretty good for in the attic!

I still need to trim it a bit as the best resonance is a little low (probably due to proximity to the roof timbers above), but I'm very pleased with the performance already. Thanks to Steve at Moonraker for all your assistance with fitting the N-Plug on my feeder cable (!).

Stu

Stu

M6LRG Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2008 19:33 Send this review to a friend
A solid, well built 144 & 430MHz Vertical with good Gain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just thought I should give some appreciation to an antenna I have recently purchased. I had some problems with a Diamond X-300 so I was looking for a good alternative whilst I try and repair the X-300 which basically fell apart internally and on the mount.

I couldn't really find anything other than what I have had previously, then I remembered Moonraker. They have been around for years and offered a wide selection of collinear antenna's for dual 2m/70cm use.

My requirements were a high gain antenna but not too tall to remain as robust as possible in bad weather conditions. I could find no reviews at all so I took a chance on the SQBM500 MKII.

I ordered direct from Moonraker and it arrived the next day, well packaged. Initially I was a little concerned I had bought another Diamond, badged-up as the image on the website showed no second section - naively I thought the 2.1 Metre antenna was a 1-piece design.

Anyway, on putting the 2 sections together, the seal was instantly more reassuring than the X-300 and when I wobbled the antenna with my hands, the internals made less noise than my previous antenna.

The radials were solid rods as opposed to hollow steel on the X-300. There was no locking nuts on them but they didn't need it, the wide nut-shaped insert means you could tighten the radials to the antenna with no worries about them coming lose.

The the screw that connects the mast bracket to the antenna tightened up well, one of the things that failed on the X-300. I fitted the N-Type connector to the antenna and put the pole up as high as I could, so more than 50% of the antenna is above my 2-story house.

The Antenna performs so well. I am very, very happy. I can talk simplex to people for many miles and am opening 2m repeaters more than 50 miles away, that I couldn't even hear at all before - being an M6 I am limited to 10watts!

If you want a good 2/70 Vertical for a great price then you will not be disappointed with the Moonraker SQBM500. The Mark 2 version has wide band receive as well, so even more value. I wouldn't normally write such as review but as there wasn't any online, I felt this aerial does deserve a mention.

Thanks,