Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | COLLINS REBUILDERS - Collins S-line Repair by K2LRC Help

Reviews Summary for COLLINS REBUILDERS - Collins S-line Repair by K2LRC
COLLINS REBUILDERS  - Collins S-line Repair by K2LRC Reviews: 105 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: We repair and repaint Collins S-line radios with many years of experience with over 40 years as an active Ham. Our services include complete Laboratory testing of all the gear using HP and Bird equipment. We use all orginal documentation and maintain a stock of parts and an excellent selection of replacment tubes. This is now a full time operation located in Annapolis, MD.

See the web site for more details and contact information.

You can write your own review of the COLLINS REBUILDERS - Collins S-line Repair by K2LRC.

W7PAZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2015 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Collins S-line service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted Peter to service my 75S3-B receiver. Peter is listed as a Collins service provider on the CCA web site and I read all the fine reviews of his service here on eHam Reviews. If you need Collins S-line radio service this is the right place.

Peter gave me packaging recommendations for shipment. He communicated with me promptly. I understood what needed to be done and the price was very fair. I received excellent documentation of the repairs as well as the test results. I was very impressed with the turn-around time. The performance of my nearly 50-year-old receiver exceeds my expectations.

Thank you, Peter.

KB3EPJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Old World Craftsmanship!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was so fortunate to find, and live somewhat close to Peter, and Collins Rebuilders.
He totally went over, installed a new power supply, and gave me some great advice on my 30L-1 which is purring like a kitten now.
A gentleman that takes extreme pride in working on these great pieces of equipment.
"Old World Craftsmanship" is alive and well with Peter!
N1BIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2015 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Could not ask for more with my Collins 30L-1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Peter sold me a restored Collins 30L-1 with the new power supply. The amp and Peter exceeded my expectations! Peter also restored a Collins 30L-1 I bought off of an action site. Luckily, I am within a few hours drive of Peter's location in Annapolis, MD and was able to personally deliver my amp for service. I was very impressed with Peter's knowledge and his shop (show room). He took time for a visit and stepped me through what he would do to the auction amp. When I made another trip to pick it up I had another chance to learn things that I would never have known about a 30L-1. I even got the parts back that Peter replaced.

He tested all tubes, replaced the power supply, rebuild the bias network, checked the ALC circuit, lubricated RF switches, aligned the input RF circuits and provided output data for each band using a Bird 43, a Bird 4381 and a HP8640B signal generator. Readings agree with my LP-100A.

A great experience with a great person at a reasonable charge.

His website:

A very happy experience and stations I call, almost always, come back to me and I frequently get "good audio" comments as well.

Jack, N1BIC
KC4BW Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2015 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Just plain all around good!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I gave Collins Rebuilders a 5 because Peter, K2LRC, is a fine gentleman whom you can sit down with and have a down-to-earth eyeball, ragchew, QSO. He is a top-notch radio technician and knows his way around Collins equipment like it was second nature. You don't find many like him any more. I have purchased quite a bit of Collins gear from him in my pursuit of setting up a vintage Collins station after being off the HF bands for a number of years. I cut my teeth on tube radios when I got my first license in 1971, and I have been a firm believer in "real radios glow in the dark." And, yes, I do have an ICOM radio for the WARC bands, 60 meters, and 6 meters, but when I operate on the legacy HF bands I turn on the Collins equipment! It brings back many memories.
N4UE Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2015 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Final details of PTO repair  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I finally got around to putting my 75S-3 back together. Although in excellent shape, the PTO had several issues. I did some research and sent the PTO to Peter.
He kept me advised as to the status of the repairs and told me he had set the end points and PTO output level. He told me what steps needed to be done once the PTO was back in the radio. (it's in the Manual)
Before I started, I fired up the signal generator, counter and laid out all my tools.
I was prepared for a LONG episode of 'tweaking'. Due to the excellent articles in ER Magazine and in the CCA archives, it was very easy to install.
The PTO tunes like butter, but the BEST (almost unbelievable) thing is, it was dead on frequency!
My luck is normally nowhere near that good, but just a result of Peter's attention to detail......

Nothing else need be said.....

KE5RV Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
32S-3 Repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In an earlier review, I rated Peter's work on a non-working 75S-3 that I sent him. I was very pleased with his service then and decided to send him the non-working 32S-1 that I had also purchased with the receiver. He told me up front when I described the problems to him that it might not be cost effective to repair. Sure enough, it was a DOA. We were able to work out a trade + cash deal where he sold me a restored 32S-3 at a reasonable price and I couldn't be happier with the result. Peter is a true Collins professional and I highly recommend his services.
WA4OYX Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2015 19:11 Send this review to a friend
KWM2A Excellent work on two of them  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Thank you Peter W. for your fine work on two KWM2A xcvrs. Your help in steering me to hamboxes for shipping was an added plus. Mr. Wittenberg is very patient before doing the work, answering questions and making suggestions. During and after the work, he continues to offer his good advice. For quick turnaround, fantastic service and plain good business-conduct, you couldn't ask for a better person to deal with. He makes the great Collins experience ever better. Once again, thank you sir.
W5CRY Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2015 10:00 Send this review to a friend
On Going Assistance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted to say "Thank You" to Peter for his patience to answer questions about the KWM-2 he overhauled. And the suggestion of using a Bucking Transformer to reduce my line voltage to what the Collins was designed to operate with.
KD9BWP Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Another great repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After previous great experiences in which Peter brought my WE 75S-3 and 32S-3 back to life (see prior reviews), I recently sent Peter my RE KWM-2A and 516F-2 power supply for cleaning and realignment. Among other tasks, Peter cleaned all of the switches and pots, replaced six tubes, installed a new matched set of finals, replaced a bad crystal, performed a full alignment, and completely recapped the power supply. Everything now works as if it were brand new. On receive, the KWM-2A now rivals my 2014 Kenwood transceiver and I'm getting more than 100 watts out on all bands. I couldn't be happier with Peter's work.

As always, communication with Peter was timely and effortless. I highly recommend Collins Rebuilders for all of your Collins needs.

KC9KGG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2015 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
COLLINS REBUILDERS provides consistently high quality repair/refurbishment services for Collins equipment. Repairs are completed promptly.