Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-209 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-209
MFJ-209 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: HF/VHF Antenna Analyzer
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-209

You can write your own review of the MFJ-209.

N7SCC Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2010 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Great for setting up Antennas/Station first time!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought mine in early 1994 ! Yes... I still have it. I added a Freq. counter in 2003. This is the best piece of test equipment in terms of my station(s) since 1993. This unit allowed me to calibrate the Freq. VFO dial on my Kenwood 830S(My first HF set). This unit zero beat with WWV with no problem. I never used the batteries option inside(I used the AC to DC converter to power it); Yes, I had to tighten up the S0-239 connector and afix the battery pack holder inside the unit from rolling around... I agree the Freq. dial is not exact but, it got me in the "ballpark" enough and even before I added a freq counter(2003)-- this unit was getting a lot of use on every antenna I used! It saved many trips outside and upon the roof. It definitely belongs in every Hams' shack. In my opinion, for the price-- it is the first piece of test equipment you should have! It will tell you a great deal about your antenna and your coax cable connections! I still haven't used it's other Antenna testing functions. The manual has other Antenna testing routines to obtain more data about your antenna(download the manual from MFJ)-- I still haven't used those yet! In addition, I've used the 209 to install my first 2-meter Icom in my auto. With the 209, I could cut the 5/8ths wave close to 2-meters and verify the coax. With the added frq. counter which by the way exactly tells you the 209 freq. you on-- I was able to have the 5/8ths wave mobile dead on in the center of 2-meters. I think the 209 with the LO inside; And adding a freq. counter(not neccessary)is a darn great piece of Shack test equipment all by itself and worth the price!

KC2UGV Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2010 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Useful, inexpensive analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll give this unit a 4/5, however, it may be unfair.

When building an antenna using this unit, I tuned it up for right near 14MHz on the dial. The antenna would not put more than 20W out (Crowbar circuits kicked in).

After zero-beating the analyzer to my HF rig, 15MHz on the dial is really 14MHz. After using a zero beat, the antenna got pruned, and works great now. After RTFM, I found MFJ even states the dial is not accurate, and use a Frequency counter. So, the 4 of 5 might be unfair.

I really think, that they should at least calibrate the dial, or supply a blank where you can label your dial yourself.

Other than that, it works great, for what it is: Broadband signal generator + SWR meter for 50 Ohm loads. It is not a MFJ-259, or any other higher end analyzer.

Would I buy it again? Sure. Would I recommend it? Maybe. For a new ham just getting a station together, probably. An experienced ham who wants the best, of course not. That not what this unit is.

KT4WO Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2009 06:23 Send this review to a friend
gud for what it is.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
How someone can give a product a poor rating based on features they knew it didnt have before they bought it...well..is not a fair review.
Does MFJ have quality control problems...YEP!
Is the MFJ-209 a MFJ-269(I have one) NO!!...but..I knew that before I bought it!!!
Just what do some folks expect for 150 bucks????
Good for the money and what it is.
KT4WO

K4LD Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2009 13:21 Send this review to a friend
No problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MFJ-209 is a pretty good product when it comes to analyzing. I honestly feel the comments said on this page are a little harsh in nature.
The 209 is designed to be a, "poos mans" analyzer. The unit is pretty simple and can be mastered in a few minutes. Although the unit lacks some of the bells a whistles found the the 259, it seems to get the job done. For the novice antenna builder, it works just about right.
Bottom Line: If your on a budget, and can go without a few luxuries, the 209 is for you.

KN1R Rating: 1/5 Sep 19, 2008 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Don't recommend this unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Waited almost two months to receive this tester. First surprise is it doesn't come with a DC supply. When I put the batteries in there must of been a short in the battery holder because it melted.

Plug in a DC supply to see if it would work. It did function with the DC supply. However, the frequency resolution is so poor, I wasn't able to successfully tune my vertical. MFJ's manual acknowledges this an suggest purchasing a freq counter.

When you add up all the extras, this sound like a very bad deal.

KJ4FUU Rating: 3/5 Sep 8, 2008 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Adequate, IF...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The good points:

a.) It's not too expensive,
b.) It covers HF and VHF,
c.) It's not that hard to use

The bad points:

a.) No LCD freqency display,
b.) The analog scale on the dial is only approximate,
c.) The analog scale isn't linear, that is, as the frequency gets higher, the frequencies on the scale move closer together.

I'm pretty sure it is restricted to 50 ohm impedance systems, also.

Since the analog scale is only approximate, it's a good thing that the MFJ-209 provides a frequency out port for an external frequency counter. If I didn't already have one of those, I would not have been happy with this unit. But since I did already have a frequency counter, the unit is useful and within my price range.

The manual did have errors. I think it was cut & pasted from the MFJ-259, as I noticed references to this model in the instructions. Also, it says that the unit uses 8 batteries, when mine needs 10 AA batteries.

It is adequate for me, and I think I'll get a lot of use out of it. If I had a few more dollars, I think I would have gone with one that had the LCD frequency display already in it.