Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Breedlove Antenna Mounts Help

Reviews Summary for Breedlove Antenna Mounts
Breedlove Antenna Mounts Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $85
Description: Breedlove Machine makes a variety of mobile antenna mounts which are
machined from solid brass. The one shown is their ballmount with an
included quick disconnect.

They also make stake pocket mounts, and high-voltage insulators for use
with auto-couplers.
More info: http://breedlovemounts.com

You can write your own review of the Breedlove Antenna Mounts.

WA8QQU Rating: 0/5 Sep 7, 2017 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Poor Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a stake pocket mount that is completely unusable with my 2017 Ram 1500 with a tonneau cover. No thought was put into this mount at all other than to drill five holes. It does NOT fit over side rails as is advertised, the metal plate is ridiculously thick and prohibits the tonneau from closing, the NMO mount itself is centered and conflicts with the tonneau- all of which could have been thought of during design. He did offer to make one custom for me for $10 extra if I sent dimensions, so I designed on in CAD and he said he wasn't able to use that. I'll just get it 3d printed in stainless and sell the drawing myself instead of giving him a true thoughtful design. Now I'm going into hurricane Irma without an antenna- I couldn't eve MAKE his mount work. Unless you have a beat up 1974 truck without a tonneau, forget Breedlove.

K3TD Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2017 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a fender ball mount that could be used for 6 or 10 meter FM. The ball mounts from commercial antenna manufacturers are unfortunately very poor quality mechanically and prone to rust. Jerry's hardware is all brass or stainless steel and extremely robust. The ball mounts are also more compact than commercial units. I am very pleased with his mounts and accessories. I found Breedlove Mounts at the K0BG web site at www.k0bg.com

AE4MM Rating: 3/5 Jun 27, 2017 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Update: Solid product, be prepared to do metalwork  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update to my previous review. I've raised the rating to a three. The mount itself is well made, very solid, and when installed provides a very neat and clean appearance. There are visible machining marks if you worry about that sort of thing.
This would be a 5 if it wasn't for the fact that I had to cut sheet metal away inside my stake hole to make the mount work.
I provided, via email, the truck make, model, and year along with the make and model of my antenna to the manufacturer, asking what was needed. After ordering what he recommended, it arrived and we discovered that it would not work without cutting large slots forward and aft in the stake hole pocket for the clamps. Because there is not another similar mount that feeds neatly from inside the pocket, I cut the truck rather than send the mount back. While I'm happy with the result, I think someone who is in the business of selling pickup truck stake hole antenna mounts should maybe have a reference list of the roughly five standard stake hole sizes and pocket dimensions so they can recommend the correct mount, or ask for dimensions, or even just say they don't know. $80 is an expensive mount when competitors are $20, so the mount should come with excellent service and product knowledge.
My two cents.

WD5GBS Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2017 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Custom Mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Jerry fabricated a custom hitch mount for my HF Antenna. I called him Friday afternoon and I had it in my hands Monday morning (he's in NC and I'm in TX). I had specified certain things I wanted, and specific measurements and he followed them to the tee! I'm very pleased with his attention to detail and the quality of his work. This is the second mount he's fabricated for me and I'll be back for more.

N9MXQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2016 09:55 Send this review to a friend
So-239 stake pocket mount   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this to mount my Opek HVT-400b on my truck. I thought at first it was a bit pricey.. but you get what you pay for..I may bust the antenna, or rip the quarter panel off my truck,but this mount won't be damaged. Install was simple, quality is excellent..

K9VUJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2016 16:06 Send this review to a friend
More than great mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my horizontal trailer receiver hitch mount. One word to describe it is awesome. It is built and I mean built. Bolts nuts bar material everything is oversized. If somebody in the parking lot backs into this, it won't hurt the mount, but might hurt the car backing into it. It holds my antenna and protects my rear bumper at the same time. No kidding.

Dale, K9VUJ

WL7CLA Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2016 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Best made antenna hardware I have ever seen  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have been using a BreedLove ballmount as well as QC and foldover hardware since 2009. Top quality and extremely durable.

N4SLR Rating: 4/5 Jun 15, 2016 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Quality Product but poor documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Says nothing about which screw versus bolt gets center conductor or braid.

I am now not sure figuring out if it is the hookup or the coax that is causing my dead short.

I had a 35 year old Auto Radio store install the ballmount above the headliner.

Not the easiest to get into the screw and bolt to do attachment change. I will not go behind headliner now. If I can get the wires on the hookups I will run from ballmount straight down to radio area in the truck.

Hate to give a 4 because the product is incredible.

NQ9G Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2014 21:50 Send this review to a friend
High Quality, Rock Solid Mounts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After looking through all of my options for a 3/8-24 mount and not being impressed by the available selection, I stumbled upon the Breedlove mounts website. For a very reasonable cost, I was able to purchase a 3" Puck Mount that fit the bill perfectly. I needed something strong, and didn't want to risk the failure of a cheap ball mount or similar on the highway or when operating portable. I like to operate portable with an MFJ-1979 16.5' telescopic whip, especially from the top of a 6 or 7 story parking garage. Due to the location and size of the antenna, wind loading can get rather high and safety was a very high priority for me. With the 3" diameter mount, it fit just into an area between some bracing on the trunk lid of my car and therefore has just about zero flex even when subjected to 30-40mph winds with that antenna. Just started working some HF mobile as well, and have some HF sticks from MFJ on the way and I have zero doubt that this mount will work spectacularly with them as well. When all is said...spend a few extra dollars for a Breedlove mount, you'll be glad you did.

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Good, functional stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have spoken to Jerry a few times over the years. Always very polite and willing to answer any questions he can.

Recently, I ordered one of the Scorpion foldovers. Jerry was out of the material, so he immediately sent an email to advise that he had received the order but could not get it out the door immediately. I have no problem with this and was appreciative of a business taking the time to inform it's customers when there will be a delay. I believe that most complaints of poor customer service boil down to a lack of communication. This has never been an issue with Jerry.

As for the mount, I believe it is perfect. It is well made and does it's job without issue. Perhaps that I what I like about Breedlove products. They are not the most aesthetically pleasing products like so many other manufacturers seem to produce, but they are uncompromising when it comes to function.

I value function and reliability FAR above aesthetics. Jerry's products are not ugly by any stretch, but the true beauty is in the design.

The mount is BEEFY, solid aluminum block. Jerry includes an easy to understand instruction sheet and even the required allen wrench. The product came together perfectly and installed without issue.

Now, I do not treat my antennas with kid gloves. Anything that is going onto my vehicles must survive weather extremes, heavy offroad use, and little maintenance. The robust Breedlove foldover perfectly compliments the superb design strength of the Scorpion.

In just a week since receiving the order, I already have almost 1k miles on the truck. This is through the unforgiving Wyoming winter. It is so unforgiving that you can look at K0BG's site and see his pics of broken antennas. Some of those pics came from my trucks.

I frequently walk over and vigorously shake the antenna and mount. Again, I am not gentle. I give it hell. The whole truck moves and jostles, but the mount and antenna are rock solid. I did have to do some work to prevent the mount from rotating, but I expected that. I even took some photos and sent them to Jerry. If anybody has the same problem, feel free to email me. I will send you the pics.

All in all, I love it. I can now put my oversize whip onto the antenna, but still drive around town without damage. I use the low bands and am uncompromising when it comes to antenna efficiency. In the vertical position, the antenna is almost 16 feet tall. But with Jerry's foldover, I can easily fit anywhere. And a simple loosening of a few allen bolts will let me put it back to vertical.

I won't ramble anymore, but you get the point of my thought.