Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Hudson Valley Towers Help

Reviews Summary for Hudson Valley Towers
Hudson Valley Towers Reviews: 52 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Reasonable Priced
Description: Plans, installs, maintains all tower accessories,including antennas, rotors, switches, cabling, lightning protection, tower painting and in shack help. Years of Experience, meticulous and friendly
More info: http://www.hudsonvalleytowers.com

You can write your own review of the Hudson Valley Towers.

K2CBI Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Very highly recommended company  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I became a licensed ham in 1957 but in all those years I have never had a tower. When I retired six years ago I decided that it was high time. Now or never, so to speak.

After about a year of looking for a tower installer willing to work at my QTH (lower Hudson Valley of NY State) I was unsuccessful in finding anyone. I contacted three highly recommended people over that time but, after discussions, ultimately none of them could spare the time for my project. I also tried some other folks who never bothered to call back. Ultimately I put up a Spiderbeam HD 5 band antenna on a 15 meter push up aluminum mast because it was something that I could do by myself. No way that I could put up my first ever tower alone!

The Spiderbeam was terrific, especially for DX. The only problem was that I kept losing it to winter ice storms. Finally, it went down one last time in our freak October 2011 northeast snow / ice / wind storm. It didn’t seem worthwhile to me to put it back up for a fourth time.

Luckily for me, Hudson Valley Towers had started up in business a few years before. They are located not very far from me. I put in a tentative inquiry and was delighted to receive a prompt and positive response. I recall Lee saying “We can definitely do it for you”. What a difference from my previous experiences! Lee and Ray were totally enthusiastic about my project and helped me choose what equipment might suit me best. They even came to do a site visit one day last fall, in a pouring rain, and helped pick out the best place on my property for a tower. It was like they were planning their very own station!

After a bit of investigation, I decided on an AN Wireless 70 foot LD self supported tower with two beams on top -- a Force-12 6BA (40m plus 20 thru 10m) and an M2 6M7 6 meter beam. The tower also supports inverted V dipoles for 80m and 30m. Ray also suggested an inverted L for 160m.

The part of the project that took the longest was getting a permit from the local authorities. That was educational for me, to say the least! It took six months, but here too Lee and Ray helped by recommending an attorney ham friend of theirs who is an expert in the tower permitting process. Their friend (Fred, K1VR) was extremely helpful and worked with my attorney son Rob, in preparing for all the town committee meetings and presentations that we had to attend and give.

Once we had the permit, Hudson Valley Towers put up a whole new antenna farm for me this spring – in basically a turnkey operation. The excavation and concrete work was done this May. In less than a month after that, the whole project was completed. The work was done with great care by two obviously expert tower and antenna people. (Aided by Ray’s young son Bobby). They decided that it would save money to use a crane to hoist the tower up, rather than raising it section by section, using a gin pole. So that’s what we did.

Watching them work was better than going to the movies! It all went together so quickly. Amazing to me. Easy for them. (Or anyway, they made it look easy).

This project was not inexpensive. The prices were fair however and the cost was within a few hundred dollars of the initial estimate. Very close!

I am very happy with the work that they did for me. The antennas that they put up work like gangbusters. I’ve gone from a “little pistol” to a “medium pistol”. If you are looking for a very skilled tower installation company that keeps their word and does fantastic work, you can’t do better than Lee and Ray – Hudson Valley Towers.

73, Mike
K2CBI

W3JJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 07:03 Send this review to a friend
GREAT tower professionals  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ray and Lee have been maintaining my US Tower motorized tower since 2008. During this time,in addition to routine lubrication and galvanizing, they have replaced the motor belt, the motor, the steel cables that raise and lower the tower, and the limit switches. Always excellent work. Just recently the motor pulley cracked and I could not raise the tower. Ray and Lee were here in 10 days to replace it. These guys are great. You should hire them. You will be happy too!

N1HOQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 09:33 Send this review to a friend
New Rohn 55G and antennas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Due to an accident, I had to replace a Rohn 25G tower and antennas at my home.I talked with Ray by phone and exchanged e-mails. I had a plan, and Ray offered advice to fill the requirements.I did the easy ground work (set and poured the base and anchors, built the beams). We made a sked, they showed up on time, were friendly and professional, took interest in my operating interests, and did a bang-up great job.I now have 60 ft. 55G with a C31XR, a 2M-12, 6M5X, Yaesu 2800 rotor, all working fantastic. Reasonable price. Kudos Ray,Lee and Bob!

K8LSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2012 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Great job on rotor replacement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ray and his crew were out this morning to replace a broken rotor in my tower,install new coax cabling, and do some other minor adjustments on the antenna. They did a wonderful, very professional job and I am very satisfied. They are very reasonably priced for the work they do and are a great bunch of guys.

AC2R Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2012 18:50 Send this review to a friend
2nd experience with them  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the second time I have used Ray and Lee. I had some beam repairs that needed to be done and I also wanted to hang a few inverted Vs. They came on the coldest day of the year so far and did a great job. Their attention to detail is remarkable. At the completion of the work I mentioned that my T2X rotor had been sporadically hanging up and the brake refused to release. I mentioned that I had a spare and Lee asked if I wanted them to change it out. I said it was too cold and the work could wait till it got warmer. Lee said he would be glad to do it now and they went ahead and did it. I really appreciated their service and the fact that it saved me money because now I didn't need another return service call.

These guys are great.

AC2R Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2011 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Incredible install, the impossible made easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can’t say enough good things about them. They were absolutely professional in all aspects. Their communications planning the work and in setting dates were remarkable. They were hands on from the get go. They took down aa blown apart SteppIR 4 ele beam and replaced it with a Force 12 D6 BA . They also hung a G5RV in the trees. The entire install went perfectly with out any hitches.

The work was done carefully and SAFELY. Absolutely no shortcuts were taken.

I HIGHLY recommend them and would have them do any future tower work.

K3FGO Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Massive snow doesn't stop them  Time owned: more than 12 months
They installed my 75' stacked array in 2009 and the massive New Eng snow storms in 2010 took out my rotor. I called Ray in January to set up a springtime repair- and Ray and Lee were there immediately.. shoveling their way to my tower to get me back on track. That my friend, is SERVICE.

73,Gary
K3FGO

K1LTJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2011 18:50 Send this review to a friend
If you want the best  Time owned: months
Hudson Valley Towers (Lee and Ray) consulted, planned, and installed a 60FT Rohn 25 guyed tower, and Steppir DB18e for me. Their work is outstanding, and they make sure every detail is done properly. Many companies we all deal with will tell you that a satisfied customer is very important to them. The difference here, is that Ray and Lee really mean that a satisfied customer is very important to them. They did it all for me, including assembling the Steppir DB18e, something I would not want to attempt for myself. Lee took the time up front to help me decide what would suit my needs best. Watching them do the build and install was an education in how to do it right. Ray's tower work, and the ease with which he planned and executed the install of the antenna reminded me how this never would have happened without their hard work and expertise. You get what you pay for, but in the case of Hudson Valley Towers, you get even more than that. You get advice, support, and a great relationship with a company that will make sure that your tower and antenna will perform for years to come. New tower and antenna work? Do it right, call Hudson Valley towers.

N8CL Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent customer support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Last year Ray and Lee installed 80 feet of Rohn 45 at my QTH with a TH11 at 80 feet and a Cushcraft XM240 on the mast at 90 feet. The XM240 mast clamp failed after several months, through no fault of Hudson Valley, and Lee and Ray returned, climbed the tower and mast, modified the fasteners and got everything re-aligned, all at no cost to me. I could not have asked for better customer service.

K2CYE Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2011 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second "big" project I have done that involved Hudson Valley Towers.

Back in April Ray, Lee and Bobby arrived at my QTH to install an 80 Ft. Rohn Tower with an Optibeam OB 12-4. The tower was installed in one day and the antenna a day later without any issues.
Approximately one month on the air with the new tower and the Prosistel Rotor started to "act up" and cause the Green Heron Controller to provide false beam headings. After some investigation and consultation with both Ray and Lee, the problem with the Prosistel was rectified with a new Potentiometer.
Today Ray came back and replaced the faulty rotor with a new Prosistel Rotor(with the new potentiometer) without any compensation. These gentleman stand by their work even when issues arise that were no fault of HVT. I highly recomment HVT for any Amateur radio installation that you may need and I will definitely be using their services in the future!

Mike K2CYE