Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Standard C508A Help

Reviews Summary for Standard C508A
Standard C508A Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Mini Dual Band HT, 250mW output
More info: http://www.eham.net/reviews/edit/778?item=URL

You can write your own review of the Standard C508A.

N6QPK Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2003 13:56 Send this review to a friend
The best small raido PERIOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my first 508A for over 3 years now. I now own 3 of them, a really great radio. The only problem is the antenna, flimsy and low performance. Other complaints are no DTMF, other than that its a keeper.
This radio was purchased to use as an input radio for a remote base station. I now find myself using this rig as a general purpose radio for repeaters and simplex operation. Yes it is only 280mW, however due to the superior receiver and replacement antenna, this radio usually will work in most applications here in southern California. Many Yaseu and Kenwoods will hear intermod in the high RF environments here in CA. My Standard rarely hears anything but the signal that I am interested in.
Thatís why its now my primary HT and I have purchased more since my original.

Too bad Standard no longer produces amateur gear. They have superior products that usually outperformed the big 3 Japan manufactures.

K1ACK Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2002 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Sucks! Radio is Cool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked mine, and still have it. Has a pretty good receiver, earlier models would get cell (not a big deal now with everything digital), but the antenna SUCKed. Radio was Much better with a
comet sma-503 aftermarket. Set mode a little different than other radios, also setting up
which memories to scan or not is a little wierd. Also memory scan is a bit slow, good for 10 or so memories, would take a while for all 60. Surprising how far 300mw will go (with a decent antenna). Also surprising how bad the antenna sucked compared with the C108A antenna, which is a great antenna, but vhf only. C108A has an amazing receiver also. Both are altogether
fun radios, no to be a main radio, but good for the glove compartment, or for when you want something REAL small. Also remember the tx audio was LOUD on both radios. The 508A wouldnt make it to the tx portions of the 460 business bands, fell apart about 462, so wont work for family radio. Not as feature packed as the VX1R, but also not as frustrating either, usually goes for $75-125 on the used market.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2002 10:42 Send this review to a friend
A real trendsetter! Still as small and light as it gets.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Standard C508A was one of the first ultra tiny quarter watt dual band HTs and was a real trendsetter. When Standard pulled out of the ham market this rig disappeared. Yaesu since merged with Standard, and the VX-1R is basically it's replacement. Having said that, the newer Yaesu isn't any better than the older Standard model, nor is it smaller or lighter. The only thing smaller is an Alinco credit card radio, and I don't think it's as practical or comfortable to operate as this rig is.

The audio is typical of a small handheld, and I don't find it bad at all. Transmitted audio is also decent. The antenna uses an SMA connector, so it can be replaced with something bigger. I live in a semi-rural out on the extreme edge of the suburbs and I can still hit a number of repeaters on both 2m and 70cm with the 250mW the rig provides. It also has wideband receive capability up to 900MHz +.

The one nit I can pick is that the controls are not at all intuitive. I had to read the manual, and still have to glance at it to change the programming.

These handhelds seem to be really inexpensive on the used market. Find one in decent shape and you can't go wrong with it.

N2XE Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2002 13:57 Send this review to a friend
I Like It  Time owned: more than 12 months
Too bad this thing is out of production, I really like it. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years now. The C508A is what really started the micro dual-bander genre. Given its pioneer status, it was a subwatt wonder. Audio is a little anemic so cruising down a dirt road with the windows down, you won't hear it. Only recently have HT manufacurers been putting some steak in the audio output. Nice rig if you can find one.