Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander
Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2125 eu
Description: German designed high performance multi band 30/17/12m Yagi with patented efficient feed system. Computer optimized and field tested yagi without traps. It has 2 elements on 30m, 3 elements on 17m and 4 elements on 12m, all on a 6 meter boom.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander.

ZS4TX Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2014 00:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have never really been active on the WARC bands mainly as a result of not having a decent antenna on those bands. When I moved into town a few years ago I decided to install a one-size-fits-all mast and antenna setup so I started my research for the best commercially available option.

With Optibeam antennas in use at the ZS9X station and hearing them perform from the D4B station previously, I was somewhat baised in my decision to select the OB 9-3WARC and OB12-4 my new city lot type installation.

Placing an order at Optibeam is easy and Tom, DF2BO, is always available for support and technical information. Delivery of the Optibeam products was exactly on time as promised and packaged very well.

The OB 9-3WARC antenna is built extremely rugged, especially the 30m elements, and will probably outlast most storms that eats regular yagi antennas for breakfast. SWR curves came out as predicted.

On the air performance did not disappoint either, adding almost 200 WARC band counters within 3 months from installation although I must admit I had very few to start off with! When a rare station comes up I usually work it before the RF amp even warms up so when DXing on the WARC bands now I rarely use more than 100W.

I finished WAS on all three WARC bands within 3 months using the OB 9-3WARC and always received complimentary signal reports even with the antenna mounted only 12m above ground. QRP callers also picked me as easy prey :-)

My QRZ.COM homepage shows the OB9-3 WARC and OB 12-4 combination as installed at my home station. The 5m spacing between the antennas is more than adequate to prevent any noticeable interaction.

Assembly is straigthforward as per manual but if you do not have someone else to build it for you rather use motorised tools to avoid developing "glass" elbows :-)

Excellent product Tom!

N5CQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2013 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Meets All Expectations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well constructed, smooth pattern, excellent results. Mounted at 100', I am competitive with anyone on the WARC bands, especially on 30M. Only negative I can think of is the varying exchange rate!

DJ3FS Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2013 03:55 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wo will read my review regarding the OB17-4 can easily see that I am a convinced OB17-4 user.
As 12 and 17m are bands which interest me as well I wanted to have an antenna for those bands which would be equal in performance and mechanical quality.
So again I talked to Tom, DF2BO, enjoyed a detailed consulting, and 3 weeks later the OB9-2WARC arrived at my house door.
Knowing from my 17-4 how well the four elements on 20m worked at my little tower height of 12 meters I was sure that it could not be worse with the four elements of the 9-2WARC on 17m and the five on 12m.
The assembly was a snap, which did not surprise me as I was used to that by the OB17-4. And mechanically I now had a second piece of art in my hands.
Quickly my new WARC toy went up my second 12 meter high tower (I am restricted to that height by the local authorities).
The SWR on both bands was just excellent.
And performance wise the Yagi did not disappoint me either. Breaking dx pile ups becomes a sport, producing some by calling cq dx is fun.
If you are looking for the best 12/17m WARC beam available your choice should be the OB9-2WARC.

2 Years was the OB 9-2 in use and then I persuaded Tom to calculate an extension
for 30 m and build it. Finally he gave in to my suggestion and developed a new
WARC-Beam and installed it. 4 elements for 12 m, 3 elements for 17m and 2
elements for 30m but the execution like the old OB 17-4. We could not find a difference
on 12 and 17m but on 30 m and after approximately 4000 QSO's in Digi-mods to all
continents this new antenna is simply a dream. Obviously there are only a few beams
on 30m in use. Therefore I am the King?? and my OB 9-3 the Queen!!. ;-)

SM4OTI Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2008 05:27 Send this review to a friend
Doing very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second HF antenna by Optibeam and in my opinion quality is top of the line both regarding performance and mechanical design. I have never regret buying these antennas.