Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | TransWorld Antennas TW2010L Backpacker Portable HF Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for TransWorld Antennas TW2010L Backpacker Portable HF Antenna
TransWorld Antennas TW2010L Backpacker Portable HF Antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: The TransWorld TW2010L Backpacker 5 band antenna is the little brother of the famous Transworld TW2010 Adventurer. It is especially suited for the amateur operator who loves backpacking, cycling, camping, or otherwise being on the go with his station.

The Backpacker features manual switching for 10, 12, 15, 17, and 20 meters directly on the switching array box without the need for a controller or power source. Bands are changed by moving two banana style plugs into pre-set holes that activate the the appropriate band / frequency.

The sturdy, lightweight quadra-stand provides quick and easy mounting place for the Backpacker. It comes with its own heavily padded carrying bag designed especially for TransWorld antennas.

More info: http://transworldantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the TransWorld Antennas TW2010L Backpacker Portable HF Antenna.

5B4AJG Rating: 2/5 Apr 10, 2014 11:35 Send this review to a friend
A Happy Ending  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Oh dear,

Oh dear how the mighty have fallen!
After waiting a few weeks for my antenna to arrive to me here in Cyprus the day finally arrived and a couple of friends joined me on the Akamas Peninsula for the grand test and comparison against our usual portable antennas.
Set up was as easy as expected BUT that's where the expectations fell apart.

The problems were many, but mostly to do with poor QC. Badly soldered joints, dry joints, bad mechanical connections to the antenna elements etc. My friend Adrian 5B4AIY took it home to work on it as he's also an owner of the same model. He also found that the mechanical alignment of the printed wiring board and the SO-239 connector left a lot to be desired so I have 'gently' eased the holes and used a taper reamer to very slightly enlarge them so that now the mechanical alignment is satisfactory. I had to remove the SO-239 socket and re-install it as the electrical connection was intermittent when it was wriggled. This is not the TransWorld quality I'm used to, having seen several other of their antennas of similar vintage to mine. Nevertheless, it is still pretty good, and far superior to that of the Sigma or Bravo antennas.

That's only a part of the extract of the email Adrian sent me after working on what can only be described on delivery as a pile of junk. Most of us expect that sort of QC from M?J but hey! and I wasn't aware ex-employees from M?J now "work" at Transworld! not sure what other excuse could be used.

Well, now my antenna is how it should have been supplied to start with, I will say I'm very happy with it BUT it still has left a sour taste....
To be fair, it didn't cost anything in the way of parts just time and solder etc.

I really do hope mine is a "one off" but please be aware IT MIGHT NOT be!

I will sign off by giving it a 5/5 now.

73, Richard de 5B4AJG.
(With greatfull thanks to 5B4AIY)

VR2YQK Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the TW2010L primarily as my base antenna for more than two years now. It works great, very little noise comparing with other antennas I have, i.e. the BP. By changing the position of the two metal clamps at the black box, you can change bands in just a "click", simple and very easy. And, it is so easy to tune, in fact, you don't need to as it is factory fine tuned. It resonates and covers the entire band of all 5 bands as soon as you set it up (in less than 5 minutes) and you don't need an antenna analyzer.

Low take off angle easily gets you to contacts with HAMs all over the world.

I once took this antenna to near the top of the highest mountain in Hong Kong (957meters).

Once hooked up to my FT-857D, I was connected to the West Coast of USA, Australia, Japan and China on that same morning. Four different countries on different continents. It works really great.

It takes you less than 5 minutes to get it up or down, and you can take it on your SUV anywhere you go.

Definitely a "5".

NE2I Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2012 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had a few months and so far so good.
good low angle of radiation and robustly built.
Just picked up the 40m add on coil and it works great also.

W6DAF Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2012 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice Portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the TW2010L antenna for portable use when in the RV and camping. For that purpose it's a nice antenna. I spent approx one week in the middle of the desert and in the end was fairly pleased with my results. Last year I setup my ATAS 120 in the exact location (mounted to a very large metal grate, about the size of a car) so I was able to do a "from memory" comparison between the two antennas. The TW did seem to be a better antenna. Receiving stations had less trouble with my signal and receive signals did seem to be stronger than with the ATAS. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do a direct comparison as the ATAS was at home. The true beauty of the TW is how quickly it goes up and just how well built it appears to be. Within 5 minutes I was on the air and had no concern with the 30 MPH desert gusts destroying it. The included base did an excellent job so I never had to find out if it would survive if it fell over but, my guess is it would be just fine.

After returning home I was able to do a direct comparison between my compromise 40m Loop at 25ft and the TW. The loop won hands down. There was no comparison. Could I live with a TW for my primary antenna? Not if there's any way to throw a wire in the air. Unfortunately the desert shrubs are only a few feet tall so the TW will have a place in the RV.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Best customer/technical service in the world!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing in the world can compare to the customer /technical service of Transworld Antennas. Nothing. Their products are the finest made and when used you will be totally surprised by how well they perform. Gordon West made this discovery and even called them "...a game changer". Everyone in the country who is having difficulty with the insanity of feeble minded HOA's should consider the Transworld 2010 vertical dipole. It works as well as a full size dipole at under ten feet and is free standing. Put it on the balcony, in the living room, or just about anywhere. Work the world!

K4SHP Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 15:49 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't write many reviews but this antenna definitely deserves one. The first time I saw one of these antennas was at field day 2010. While it took me about an hour to string a multi band dipole in the trees the guy who brought his Transworld antenna had it up and going in about 10 min. WOW!!!!

The signal reports that he received were outstanding so I decided to order my own. It came well packed and definitely well built. All of my questions were answered by nice people when I called and promptly when I e-mailed.

When the antenna arrived I hooked it to the second antenna port of my transceiver (Ten-Tec Orion II) so that I could do an antenna to antenna comparison. Some signals on my normal multi-band dipole were stronger than the Backpacker but some of the signals on the Backpacker were stronger than the dipole. To me that would be a draw... WOW!!!! On transmission reports many people could not tell a difference between the two antennas and the ones who could only noticed one "s" unit perhaps two "s" units difference. Again WOW!!!

For what the antenna is I can't say enough wonderful things about it. The antenna will easily fit in the trunk of you car for that trip to the beach, mountains, Disney, etc. It is small and easy to assemble and take down. It actually takes longer to roll up the coax that it does to take the antenna apart and put in the bag.

W0JTC Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2011 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my Backpacker Antenna in January...I live in a condo with restrictions with antennas although I was able to put up a small wire antenna for awhile. I was hoping I could use the Trans World for use here and on the go.
I packed it up last Saturday and hauled it to a local park, set it up and was on the air in 10 minutes. I was using a Yaesu FT-897d with battery power (20 Watts) and one minute later I was talking to Poland and off and running on the ARRL DXSSB contest...I started on 20 meters then 15 and then 10 and then back to 20 etc...GREAT PERFORMANCE all the way around !! I didn't set new records or get a super score but then I really didn't try either, just having fun !!
OK, I was in a park with no electric wires, no interference at all, all signals were clear on all bands, changing bands was a snap, I got signals mainly from Europe (I am on the east coast) but I also got the Carribean and could hear the west coast and probably made contact if I wanted too...
I am very pleased with this antenna and cannot wait to try it out on the beach and other places to see what it can do..I like the carrying bag that comes with it, I just strap my coax to the bag with the supplied straps...I also got a tent peg to hold the coax at the 45 degree angle that the guide called for...

W7SAT Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2010 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent as a portable antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was finally able to take my new Transworld Backpacker TW2010 out and set it up portable. I was using an ICOM 718 with 100ft of Davis RF RG-213 and my new 33ah Werker AGM battery. It was my luck that the California QSO party was going on. It was a perfect time to try my new portable setup.

Like others have said the quality is top notch and it takes mere minutes to set up the antenna. I set it up in a semi wooded area at the local 900 acre park. From set up to first QSO was about 10 minutes. The SWR was 1:5 smack in the middle of the 20 meter phone band with excellent bandwidth. No more adjustments needed to be made.
Being able to switch bands on the fly and ease of setup are the main reasons I chose this antenna.

I also had a Buddipole set up at the same location. I would switch between the two to try and give some kind of comparison. The receive on both antennas sounded the same, the receive is excellent by the way. However since the Buddipole is directional (in this setup) I was able to make a contact on the first call with the Buddipole that I could not make on the Transworld. It could have just been a quick change in band conditions or that the Buddipole had more gain since we had it aimed at California.

Where the Transworld really shines is that you can set it up anywhere you want outside. I do not have to worry to much about it blowing over with the quadrapod. And band switching is super easy. With the Buddipole you have to lower it down and mess with the coils. With the Transworld you walk up to it and manually switch to the band you want,(takes about 10 seconds) walk back to your station and you are on the air.

Both the Tranworld and Buddipole antennas were great. It is just a matter of preference. To me the Transworld is the perfect portable antenna that I can take anywhere and setup with out needing any other kinds of support. It would be a lot of fun the set it up on the beach. I made 18 QSO's on my first portable outing, it was a ton of fun. I love portable HF now. Special thanks to KK7JL for helping me with my first portable HF outing, and bringing along his Buddipole.

K9JCS Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Quality!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently decided to buy a TW2010L to use on vacations. I drive to vacation spots, so size and weight isn't a big consideration. After reading many of the reviews here and studying the TransWorld web page I thought the TW2010L would be a good antenna to pair with my SGC 2020. Since there were a few weeks when I did not plan to be home, I was very concerned about having an expensive antenna just sitting on my front porch for days with no one home. I called TransWorld and explained my situation and talked to a very responsive guy who understood. They were out of stock at the time and he said he would call back when one was available. Well, he did exactly as he said he would and left a message on my answering machine. I was on vacation at the time, and when I called when I got home I found that they had sold the one he had called about. That was Ok because they had another in stock and he said he would get it out that very day. It arrived 3 business days later. Thanks, to the good guy at TW. Sorry, I don't have your name...I wrote it down and misplaced the sheet of notepaper. Great job of customer service.

When I excitedly opened the box the contents were screaming, "QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY." The carry bag is made from a material that looks like heavy duty ballistic nylon. There are carrying handles that allow you to carry it like a suit case or like a golf bag. The exterior of the bag has four attached velcro straps to lash on additional equipment if you need to. There are 6 D rings mounted with reinforced leather, stitching and rivets to assist in mounting your additional gear to the case. There is a zippered case on the outside perfect for holding golf balls or maybe your recommended 65 foot run of coax. The case is padded at the top and bottom to prevent damage to the antenna sections stored inside. The case is zippered around the top to allow access and removal of the stored antenna elements. There is also a zippered storage case on the inside of the top of the case to store smaller bits of radio kit. This is where I will keep the instructions, the coil jumpers, and coax adapters.

The antenna is very well made. The base consists of 4 very substantial fiberglass tubes with machined aluminum ends which mount to the vertical post. It's hard to describe but very obvious when you see the pieces. Also, there is a right way and a wrong way to install the base legs. I labeled the top sides "TOP" with a label maker to help me out.

The vertical post starts with a piece of thick wall, 4 sided, square aluminum channel, used for mounting the base legs, and transitions to thick wall aluminum tube for strength. A very solid, 1 inch fiberglass rod comes about 6 inches out of the tube to provide insulation from ground. About 2 inches from the top of the rod are two 2 inch thumbscrews/wingnuts for tightening against the antenna bottom section when it is installed.

The antenna bottom and top as well as the other metal pieces are powder coated with a nice black finish. Substantial hardware is used every where and a lot of thought appears to be given to the intended portable use of the antenna. There are no sharp edges anywhere. The antenna even has plastic covers on the bolt heads and exposed threads everywhere a bolt must be used to join pieces together or attach the coil assembly on the center section. The antenna arms move smoothly and become immovable when you tighten the double thumbscrews/wingnuts after adjusting or deploying them. Nylon spacer posts are used to prevent compression of the tubes where they pivot and nylon washers are used to allow easy movement of the arms.

The center section houses the coil(s) which determine band operation. The manual wants you to adjust them to make sure they are right for you. I went through the adjustment procedure, but found out that they were spot on, having been adjusted before the antenna was shipped. On 20 meters the antenna favored the lower end of the band, with the phone portion still within the 1.5:1 advertised swr. To move it up to the phone portion you can simply spread the 20 meter coils. Taking a tip from one of the other reviewers in this thread, I found that I could also achieve 1.1:1 on the phone portion of the band simply by raising the lower antenna arms by about 15 to 20 degrees above the horizontal. No need to open the box and spread the coils.

You change frequencies by moving two jumpers to the appropriate well marked jumper jacks. I guess calling them jumpers is technically correct, but to me they are little bits of electronic artistry. They are based on banana plug technology, but there is no flimsy wiggly wire involved. They are perfectly formed stainless steel U's formed with banana plug terminations. They are very substantial and it is for this reason that the manufacturer tells you to take them out before you store the center section. They are so substantial the manufacturer wants to make sure that they don't get caught on something and break the circuit board to which they are attached. Speaking of the circuit board...another work of art. Uncluttered, clean, well labeled, great solder joints and an attractive green that complements my wife's eyes! (Hey, we all use some dodge to get a new piece of ham gear in the door)

After checking the coil adjustments I packed it up and decided to give myself a little test. I wanted to see how long it would take to set up. Mind you, this was only the second time I had put it together. From the moment I opened the carry case, it took less than five minutes to assemble the antenna, connect the coax to the antenna and SGC SG2020, connect the battery to the radio and turn on the power.

I haven't been this ecstatic over a purchase of anything since I bought my first new car. After having to open up the gear of a large tuner, antenna, interface, and other assorted gadgets company, I have been very impressed to see that this company understands what quality means. This antenna will last. It won't break when somebody knocks it over. If Chrysler made cars of this quality it would be Mercedes Benz who is in trouble.

Jim
K9JCS

N4KC Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2010 14:38 Send this review to a friend
I felt guilty, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a dipole for my go-station but wanted something more sturdy and that did not necessarily require supports...that may or may not be available. I looked at the Buddipole and this antenna. Could I really pay that much money for a portable antenna? I build my own when I can...proudly and because I enjoy it.

First, I know I could not build anything as substantial as the Buddipole or the TW2010. They do offer multiband capability in something I would not be afraid to deploy on a beach or in a campground, allowing me to leave my auto-tuner at home. I could even use it in the backyard if I wanted to operate from the deck for an afternoon. Both seemed to be easily transported, won't get tangled up (like my wire dipole), a breeze to deploy, and were not really all that exotic in how they worked. Neither manufacturer makes wild and crazy claims. I chose the TW2010 after talking with a couple of friends who had them and who I trust not to exaggerate. I chose the Backpacker because I am not so lazy I can't go move a couple of jumpers to change bands, and the remote unit on the deluxe (and more expensive) model seems like just one more thing to go haywire.

Now, on the negative side: since I had a beach trip planned in June, I called before ordering and asked about delivery dates, as suggested on the web site. The nice gentleman told me "4 to 5 weeks." OK, the trip was still 8 weeks away so I went ahead and ordered online. PayPal hit my credit card immediately. Ouch!

In the sixth week, with no word from the company, I called back and left several messages. No return calls. Finally, I emailed them and got a reply a couple of days later. They said they had not received their order of parts yet and would still have to send them out for powder coating then. Delivery in time for my trip was now shaky. I waited another week and called back, getting a live person this time. Nope, not a chance, he told me. It could be several more weeks yet.

This was five days before the trip so I built a new 20M dipole and left for the beach on Saturday. I had to drape it along the balcony and out to a palm tree, but it worked okay. I made a few contacts, and listened some, but line noise from all the nearby condos was a nuisance. I kept eyeing that nice patch of grass about 50 feet away where my Backpacker would have stood tall and in the open.

On the Monday after we arrived at the beach, I got an email from TransWorld that the antenna had shipped. It arrived on the Tuesday after we left for the beach on Saturday. UPS left it outside and it got soaked in a rainstorm. To their credit, TW had packed it well, everything inside wrapped securely in plastic, so the canvas bag (very nice!) and antenna were not even wet, but the cardboard box was pretty much a total loss.

Technically, the antenna seems to work fine and as expected. It compares to my vertical and G5RV on 20 and 10, the only two bands on which I have so far gotten serious signal comparisons. SWR was within specs from the factory except for 20, where it is centered at the far high end of the band. I'm a CW guy, too, and will play with it when I have time to bring it below 2:1 at 14.001. It is a tad more noisy than the G5RV and, of course, not even close to the hexbeam at 50 feet, but for what it is, it seems to perform very well.

It is sturdy when deployed as directed, very well built, and remarkably easy to transport and erect. It even looks kind of sexy. I don't know if this is the answer to folks who need a stealth antenna, but it sure appears to be an option.

I look forward to many long years using this guy, just so I won't feel so guilty about paying so much for a factory-built antenna. Please don't tell my antenna-homebrewin' buddies!