Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-780R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-780R
Yaesu FT-780R Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 70cm Allmode TCVR For Portable/Mobile Operation
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-780R.

ZS1SA Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2010 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Works great for satellite ops, not the best for FM ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the FT-780R for the ham satellites for 9 years, without any problems. When I first purchase mine (second hand) I found that the sensitivity was very poor. A quick re-alignment brought it back up to a level of sensitivity comparable with many new SSB receivers. I believe many perfectly good older radios get poor reviews when all they need is a realignment. You wouldn't run your car for 15 years without a bit of mantainence and expect it to run like new, same with a radio, components age and they need to be tuned back to specs.
I gave it a 4 rating due to it only having 4 memory channels and 10 watts of power which is not much by today's standards

M6TYC Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2009 02:43 Send this review to a friend
Love mine!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having been licenced for 4 months, I'm working my way through the vast array of what amateur radio has to offer.

Bought the 780r for what I consider to be a bargain price for a complete radio, even the spare fuses. It looks as if it's not been used.

The uk repeater non compatability is an issue, got around by also owning a Trio TW4000a. I liie that one also!

I'm a fan of buttons over menus and find the front panel simple to use. It's going to be with me for a long time.

MI3LVZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2009 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Good basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
If your looking for a cheap UHF all mode radio then this might fit the bill. Nice audio reports on SSB but no tone board which is a problem nowadays but for normal tone burst operation its fine.

G0FVT Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2006 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 780 for perhaps 15 years, in the UK we have a 1.6Mhz repeater shift which as standard these radios cannot do, although you can transmit on one VFO and receive on the other.
I built a little logic board which allowed mine to do the UK repeater shift.
The radio got a massive amount of use on FM some years ago, eventually the PA died and I fitted a slightly more robust one and a cooling fan.

This range of radios (I also have the 480 and 680) all seem to attract excellent transmitted audio reports on all modes. On SSB the synthethiser tunes in 10Hz steps which is unusually fine for a radio of this vintage.

I found sensitivity more than adequate, and the radio very easy to use, but the radio does have a few negative points that would probably rule it out now if I was about to buy a UHF radio.

The memory of the radio can store just four frequencies, there is no back up battery so the radio needs the 12v supply on in order to retain the memories. The memory alone draws 80mA which is more than many modern radios draw on receive.

It is a an attractive radio, with a very clear bar graph S-meter, they are reliable but nowadays no CTCSS encode and decode is a major drawback.

DH5DAX Rating: 3/5 Apr 2, 2001 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Old radio with some problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine used, in very good condition.
It's a nice 70cm mobile allmode radio, however the usage isn't as comfortable as with a more modern radio. The tuning mechanism isn't very user friendly and the receiver is quite deaf when compared to a modern radio (Kenwood TR851), but with a mast-mounted preamp things are fine.
I wouldn't recommend it as a DX/Sat radio, but it is a good (and cheap!) radio for portable/mobile operations.