Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Oregon Scientific WMR 200A Help

Reviews Summary for Oregon Scientific WMR 200A
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Wireless weather station

You can write your own review of the Oregon Scientific WMR 200A.

K1ZW Rating: 1/5 Oct 19, 2013 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Hard to believe  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a 968 since 2007 and loved it, but it gave up. The NC sun did a job on the solar housings. I had the software and it was compatible with the 200. I started to read other reviews and all they talked about was batteries. I downloaded the manual and sure enough no charging, only use during "sunlight". It's on to Davis.

WB5GEO Rating: 0/5 Sep 19, 2013 14:32 Send this review to a friend
There are no pros to this weather station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the years I have used many of the Oregon scientific weather stations model number WMR 968 with no issues and no regrets. However, after severe storm damage the components of my last station that was about five years old I decided to replace it but unfortunately the 968 was no longer available, so instead I had to spend more money on a newer model with the expectations that Oregon scientific would have improved their line of weather stations and if it would be more dependable and accurate than before.

Well it turns out that I have been sadly mistaken as this new weather station is a piece of trash that has given me nothing but heartache from the first day I unboxed it. For example, you have to put the outdoor temperature sensor in the shade detaching it from the solar panel so the batteries run down quickly. There is no radiation shield offered that would allow it to be mounted on the roof with the rest of the components.

The mounting components that it comes with cannot be mounted onto a different mast so you are forced to use the flimsy PVC tubing provided by Oregon scientific. My older station came West solar panels and NiCad batteries for each component, within station there are no NiCad batteries so your are forced to use alkalines which means that every six months or so you have to climb up on the roof or take a station down from where you mounted it to change out the batteries.

Oregon scientific calls this a professional weather station, well I find it to be an amateurish piece of trash and I will never purchase anything from Oregon scientific again, and I recommend that if you are reading this review before purchasing a weather station that you avoid Oregon scientific and he WMR 200 at all cost.

So now they're sending me an RMA number and I am responsible for the shipping and packaging of the unit and once they receive the station it will be an additional three weeks before I receive a replacement.

WA7KGX Rating: 2/5 Aug 27, 2013 09:08 Send this review to a friend
A WX Project  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some years ago Surplus Gizmos had a shipment of Oregon Scientific products. I presume they were customer returns, prototypes or whatever. The price was right. Sorry, that batch of stuff is long gone.

The base unit can not receive the 60 KHz WWVB time signal. Oregon is not close to Fort Collins but my solar flare VLF monitoring gets a good signal most of the time. In the 70s I had a homebrew WWVB receiver that that worked well enough.

The software for the WMR200 ran OK on XP or was it WIN95? Certainly not Windows 7.

Currently I am experimenting with a package called WEEWX, written in Python. WEEWX will not work properly if the WMR200 clock is off. Setting the clock on my WMR200 is a pain because the touch screen is flakey. Did I mention Atomic Time doesn't work on my unit?

I am, I think, down to perhaps the last problem with the WMR200 and WEEWX. The wind speed spikes to 600 MPH.

N6FD Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2010 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertized  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed to upgrade from a WMR-918 from the same manufacturer. That lasted 10 years, but the plastic parts started to deteriorate in the desert sun. Set up the sensors without too much problem. The documentation is clear.

No problems with RFI, the wind and temperature sensor is on the same mast with a 30/15M inverted vee and a couple of feet from my 80M off-center fed dipole. No interference to or from the unit. The display unit is in the shack. No problems there either.

Haven't really had a chance to test the rain sensor as we haven't had more than 1.5" of rain in the last year.

The software is the weakest part of this unit. I have not been able to make it work well. I don't know if it has been upgraded as I gave up on it a couple of months after purchase. I use Weather Display software to connect the WMR-200A to my computer. This is main reason it gets a 4 out of 5 rating.

GM0OTS Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2008 13:32 Send this review to a friend
NICE PRODUCT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AFTER 5 YEARS WITH THE WM918 I DESIDED TO UPGRADE TO THE WMR200, ON ARRIVAL IT WAS WELL WRAPED AND PROTECTED IN THE BOX SUPPLIED, THE INTRUCTIONS WERE WELL LAYED OUT AND DOCUMENTED, THE ASSEMBLY AND SET UP WERE STRAIGHT FORWARD WITH NO MAJOR ISSUES, THE QUALITY IS SATISFACTORY, I HAVE NO PROBLEMS RECIEVING SIGNALS FROM ALL SENSORS SUPPLIED, THE RAIN SENSOR NEEDS TO BE PLACED ON LEVEL SURFACE TO GIVE ACCURATE READINGS, THE MAIN UNIT IS WELL LAYED OUT AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND, THE WIND CHILL NEEDS TO BE BELOW 10deg OUTSIDE BEFORE YOU GET READING ON MAIN UNIT, I HAVE NOT GOT THE UV SENSOR YET I DONT KNOW IF I WILL!, I DID TRY THE SOFTWARE SUPPLIED BUT IT NEEDS TO BE SET UP PROPER WITH PATIENCE I AM QUITE HAPPY WITH INFO FROM MAIN UNIT, IT DOES NOT SUFFER FROM RF FROM MY RADIO EVEN AT 300W TX, AFTER 6 MONTHS I WILL UP DATE MY REVIEW,SO FAR IT HAS PERFORMED FLAWLESS ,TIME WILL TELL IN FAR NORTH SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS!!!

DENNISL22 Rating: 0/5 Oct 7, 2008 18:12 Send this review to a friend
DO NOT BUY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received product, set it all up and the outside temp/humidity module wouldn't work. I sent E-mail to their "tech" area I knew there was going to be problems when the tech area said it will get back to me in four days. Well, to no surprise, they never got back to me. BTW..I had tried to phone only to be told by the person on the phone that they can't break up a set and they would get back to me. Well to no surprise, they never got back to me. I then wrote to the public relations person, and SURPRISE, no response. A few days later, I finally got someone on the phone who told me I had to send the unit and the display unit to their repair facility at my expense...This is a brand new item! Anyway, I decided I would bite the EXPENSIVE bullet and get a Davis.