Reviews Categories | Third-party Equipment | ELECTRONIC SPECIALTY DIGITAL DISPLAY Help

ELECTRONIC SPECIALTY DIGITAL DISPLAY Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$125.00
Description: Adds digital readout to older receivers/transceivers

You can write your own review of the ELECTRONIC SPECIALTY DIGITAL DISPLAY.

G4VGO Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Drake R-4 DDS VFO - Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is not the Digital Display by Electronic Specialty, it is the DDS VFO for the Drake R-4 series receivers. First of all it is a very well made quality product. A lot of thought went into the design and the ergonomics for such a simple device are perfect. The backlighted display is large and easy to read. The tuning can be set for 10 Hz steps - very useful for fine tuning CW signals in a crowded band.

I ordered one for my Drake R-4A, it came in less than a week after I ordered it. After unpacking it was in service (plug and play) in ten minutes. Stable, you bet! Accurate, spot on! Easy to use, heck yes! Phase noise, so far down my spec-an couldn't measure it until I took the sensitivity way down (not auto-ranging).

There is a bonus, it also controls the T-4XB with the R-4A in transceive and you have DDS accuracy, stability, and ease of use all in one - it makes the Drake twins a truly great transceiver.

A side note - the company also makes DDS VFO's for Collins S-Line. I gave it a 5 but a 5+ would be more accurate.
W4OP Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2008 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Best of the digital displays  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I looked at what I believe were all of the displays used for adding digital readout to boatanchors. The Electronics Specialty won out for a couple of reasons. It was the only one that gave 10Hz accuracy and had the most clever firmware. Many, many rigs are already programmed into the display- making offsets, hi/lo injection, IF, reverse tuning VFO's a snap.
I use mine on a Drake TR-4CW/RIT. The display can be ordered in Drake blue which is a nice match. Electronic Specialty had already selected the Drake TR-4 firmware for me. I also ordered the prebuilt interface cable. This made the display plug and play- signal and supply voltage are both obtained from the TR-4C's external VFO socket. I did modify the Jones plug to allow the cable to exit from the side of the connector instead of the top. This made it useful with my TR-4CW/RIT that does not use the Drake riser feet. Service was excellent, shipping fast and the product is beautifully built.
The 10Hz readout not only makes it a snap to find a frequency but also to stay on frequency. 100Hz as offered in the competition just is not accurate enought for staying on frequency.
Highly recommended.