Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Array Solutions QSK-Master Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions QSK-Master
Array Solutions QSK-Master Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $375
Description: The Array Solutions QSK-MASTER is a 160-6 meter 2500 watt external QSK switch. Internal strapping options include amplifier polarity keying sense, 120/240VAC powering, and turn-off time delay to ensure that the QSK-MASTER is compatible with any transceiver/amplifier combination. And the QSK-MASTERís low current keying interface means that it can be directly keyed by your transceiver without requiring a separate external transceiver/amplifier interface. For maximum reliability the QSK-MASTER is relay-based, using a high-speed signal relay for transceiver and bias switching, and a Jennings high current/high speed vacuum relay for amplifier output switching. This means that the QSK MASTER is essentially lossless, so no optional fan is needed for high duty-cycle operation.
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/qskmaster.htm#top%20of%20page

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions QSK-Master.

TF4M Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2011 08:14 Send this review to a friend
rock solid and flawless operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the QSK-Master controlling a Harris RF-110A amplifier which has painfully slow T/R switching causing me to constantly miss the prefixes of callers in a pile up.

A small modification was required to have the unit control the bias of the amplifier (at 10V/4 mA ), so it generates a lot less heat in operation.

Operating CW is now a joy.

As with all of Array Solutions products, I expect this unit to perform flawlessly for years to come.

K0MU Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Solid and Simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I kept on blowing the bulbs on a competing product and decided to try the QSK Master.

I also use the bias cutoff feature with the al-811 and it works well (simple mod in the al-811).

There is no confusion on where the cables go due to the good choice of words on the back label.

There is some relay noise, (I have the new one without the vacuum relay) but the trade off of hooking it up and totally forgetting about it is worth it.

K5BG Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2010 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy install. Great product support. Worth the money. I would definately recommend the "QSK MASTER" to anyone looking to add QSK to any amp.
Bob, K5BG

K5NT Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Slick & Quick!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My QSK Master works flawlessly with my Ten-Tec OMNI VI+ and my Ameritron Al-811. I haven't hooked up the bias feature yet, but will do so the next time I open up the amp. The units being currently manufactured no longer use the Jennings vacuum relay, but the new relay works well and the factory tells me that it should have a longer life. All in all, it is a great product and I am very happy with my purchase.

K3GGN Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2009 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Awesome QSK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Array Solutions QSK Master with my Ameritron AL-1500 amplifier for almost 2 years. I have found the QSK Master to be faster than other available QSK solutions when switching from TX to RX and subsequently do not experience periods during which I cannot hear the DX station I was working. Also compared with other QSK units there are no "RF fuses" (panel type light bulbs) on the QSK Master, that popped anytime I was careless about tuning up the amplifier. In my opinion, the Array Solutions unit is the best QSK unit available for CW, RTTY, PSK and phone for working DX and contests.

The Array Solutions unit generates some sound, associated mostly with the RX relay. The high power TX switch is a quiet Jennings vacuum relay. I have the QSK Master located just below the AL-1500 on a table close behind my operating position. I can hear both the amplifier and the QSK unit but the amplifier fan is louder by far! The T/R switching is not at all distracting to me. And in the high VSWR situations (operator error!) there has been no damage to the unit and there are no "fuses" to replace. It seems to be bullet proof.

The QSK Master is easy to connect, almost plug and play with no hassles associated with providing for PTT. Any small delay is not at all noticeable in going from RX to TX and vice versa. I've used it for almost 2 years up to 40 wpm CW and its operation is flawless.

NA8CW Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2009 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Quality Built-Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the QSK Master a month ago ,I use it
with my AL82 and AL80A amps,switching between them on my rigs,QSK Master was easy to hook up and works great, it only takes 1 or 2 dits for me to hear the QNI when operating a cw net.I will purchase a 2nd QSK Master soon,Its built like a Tank !customer service is excellent,most
highly recomended.Thanks Arry Solutions.

Paul

MI0BPB Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Great product and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed along with a Tentec Omni 7 and an AL1200. Initially decided to connect up without the bias mode and this proved very successful. However decided to carry out the bias mod on the amp and having never worked at an amp before decided to ask a few questions of Array Solutions. These questions were answered very promptly (on a Saturday!) and I felt happy enough about finding the wire to cut. In the case of the case of my AL1200 it was a blue wire leading from the open relay to two zener diodes mounted on the centre divide. I then added a stereo socket to the rear of the amp, stuck a label on and fed it to the QSK master.
The unit works very well and I have no issues. Thanks again to Jay and Phil.
73 Andrew

W3AEG Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Impressed with its performance on CW and SSB.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the QSK-MASTER with an ICOM 746Pro and an Ameritron 800H. Initially keyed the QSK MASTER with the transceiver's mechanical relay. As recommended by ArraySolutions recently connected to the transceiver's solid-state transmit enable output on an Accessory Socket (pin3) thus abandoning the relay. For my needs either hookup provides outstanding switching performance on CW and SSB! Don't believe there's an alternate RF switcher on the market with the fast switching and reliable power handling capabilities of the QSK MASTER.

K1TM Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2009 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The QSK Master works as advertised. Jay and the folks at Array Solutions, were kind enough to sell me the board and relay less the box. I did not have the space for the box and I do not switch amps very often (my old Clipperton-L has been in the family 30 years, we purchased her new from Denny in the 70's). I have updated and stabilized it and can't see a need for switching to something else. The relay circuit had been altered several times over the years, but lacked QSK and an improved bias circuit was needed as well. The lul in the Sunspot cycle has had me reaching for the standby switch and throwing it into operate, and as a result I keep blasting the old relays in Full Breakin mode. It was time to finish the retro fit.

The QSK Master board fits easily into the HV compartment, when using modern capacitors for the power supply filtering, and the board sits on stand offs attached to the top cover and hangs internally upside down. RG-174/u makes the connections from the input relay to the input connector, vacuum relay NC connection, and cathode circuit. The vacuum relay mounts where the old Dentron relay attaches to the rear panel. Bias is switched using the extra contacts provided on the QSK Master board to my own circuit. I added an additional relay to re-use the standby switch as a disable for the key line.

I went with a relay based system as I commonly run into a 3:1 SWR and rely on the amplifiers matching network rather than a tuner to couple to the antenna. PIN diodes will eventually die from this type of abuse.

Selling me the board, saved me a ton of time and got me out of further parts chasing and etching a board. Thanks guys!

K4HUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2009 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Makes operating a pleasure  Time owned: months
Best thing since sliced bread. Makes operating cw a pleasure. I have an old LK500ZA amp circa 1983. I added the qsk-master and modification kit from AG6K and turned a $500 dollar amp into a $3,000 amp. I e-mailed them with a question about a plug and they stand behind their product. You get what you pay for.