Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Allied A-2515 Help

Reviews Summary for Allied A-2515
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $$100
Description: 150 -30000 KHz Receiver. Solid state, from 1967-1971

You can write your own review of the Allied A-2515.

N8FVJ Rating: 0/5 Nov 16, 2014 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Avoid   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At times items in eham reviews receive a fairly good rating. So, I bought this Allied A-2515 receiver based upon the other reviews.

I owned a lot of receivers over the last 50 years. This Allied is about as poor as it gets. Even after an alignment- bad news.

The audio is very poor (muffled) and using an external quality speaker does not help. Stability is awful. Dial calibration is not near accurate from one end of dial to the other.

I would prefer a Hallicrafters S-120 over this Allied A-2515. As poor as the S-120 receiver is (see other reviews), at least the audio is clear.

SWL377 Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2012 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a "sort of" working one in nice cosmetic shape for $25.

Noisy controls, dial calibration WAAAAY off, but it rcvs SSB OK and seems surprisingly stable. Has 3 IF stages and what looks like a product detector for SSB. AM seems distorted, but that could be some bad caps

I am going to clean the controls and give it an alignment. I'll test a few electrolytics and see if a wholesale recaping is justified.

I looked at the power supply regulator schematic and it is pretty basic, just some caps and a zener diode on the output from the rectifier diodes. Audio is push pull from a center tapped xfmr T-1.

One nice extra is beacon band reception form 150-400 KHz on band A.

The BFO osc seemed really solid and stable. The schematic shows a very simple one transistor (Q104) BFO osc using a variable cap for tuning.

Except for the IF xfmr slugs all other alignment adjectments can be made from the bottom panel (no removal needed) on a neatly designed strip of slug tuned coils.

This is a re-labled Lafayette rcvr and may have been designed by Trio. Runs on 120 VAC or 12 VDC. Has provisions for rcvr muting when used with an xmtr.

For $25 how can I complain? I can't. It surprises me to see that these have sold fairly recently for above $150.

It looks and weighs in like a tube set but it's all transistor.

Front end has FETS (Q401 and 402). Good design with diode clamps on antenna input to prevent blowouts. I wish Sony had been as careful on the 2010.

The more I look at the schmeatic the more respect I have for the design this baby. Mine was built around 1971 and its still working 40 years later. That does tell you something.

Very easy to work on.

Mark

WD8PHW Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2011 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Great For Casual SWL'ing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The A-2515 has the "cool factor". It's a very nice looking radio.

It's great for casual SWL. Don't expect too much above 20 MHz, but that's the norm for any hobby grade radio, anyhow.

If you're expecting it to be equivalent to modern equipment, don't bother. On the other hand, don't hesitate to get one. The babes dig 'em! :)

Sorry if I was too technical!

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Unique, great beginner radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Long post..............sorry.

I was torn about what to rate this radio. Regular readers of the 'review' section, will recognize my call and my 'love affair' with low - end boatanchor receivers.

I had seen this model in Fred Osterman's awesome book: "Shortwave Receivers, Past and Present". I wish Fred would do more books like this. I consider it the 'bible' here. Why? Because his ratings almost always mirror my own experiences....

Anyway, this radio looked like a re-branded Trio (Lafayette), but was sold by Allied and was solid state.
I found an absolutly perfect example on ePay, er, eBay, and it was mine for cheap. Heavily bid, but I won....

When I got the radio, I was amazed at the condition, It had been well cared for. Other than a light coating of dust on the inside, it was just like new. The controls were very stiff indicating it sat unused for a loooong time. After verifying it worked, I replaced the line cord with a 3 connector version, as I do to every piece of vintage equipment that come in here.

I carefully disassembled the radio for cleaning and to respray the covers. I found an off the shelf 'rattle can' that was the EXACT color! Lucky!
Anyway, I removed the dial glass, and I was VERY careful atound the dial markings. I recently destroyed the VERY fragile dial markings on a nice Lafayette HA-63. I had to 'Digital Dial' that radio and have since bought another, out of frustration. All the old Lafayette radios in my collection have that one bad trait... The dial markings were a water emulsion and if touched (however gently), they dissapear like magic!!!
I was pleasently (VERY) surprised to discover the A-2515 had PAINTED dial markings! Now, you can Windex BOTH sides of the dial glass, and really make it sparkle.
Internally, I expected to find the circuit boards marked with "GRE", the Allied vendor back in the AX-190 / SX-190 era. They were different. However, the knobs and dial glass are obviously made by the same vendor Trio used.

How does it perform? Wonderful! It is one of the few old radios I have restored that I did NOT have the desire to do an alignment (yet). Although it is quite easy to do, since the radio came with the Original Manual with alignment instructions.

I have found that the capacitors in these older radios lacking. Just this week, I replaced all the electrolytics in my AX-190 due to power supply hum....

I was very fortunate in that nobody had 'golden screwdrivered' the slugs in this radio. They are all untouched. I have an Allied SX-190 that is now a 'parts radio', because someone broke EVERY slug , on EVERY board! Groan!!!!

After getting her back together, I have it playing on 15 MHz WWV and it is loud and clear.
The only negative thing I can say about this unusual radio, is that the tuning is very sensitive. It's best to tune above your target frequency, then 'tune down' using the bandspread.
This radio ia excellent and just like my FRG-7, I can look inside and ask myself "how the @#$%^& can this 'empty' radio work SO well?".

All I can say is if you run across a nice example like I did, buy it. You won't be disappointed!