Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Allied Radio A-2516 Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Allied Radio A-2516 Receiver
Allied Radio A-2516 Receiver Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Unknown
Description: Hambands only receiver covering the 80-40-20-15-10 meter hambands and WWV at 10 MHz. Manufactured in Japan by Trio during 1969-1971. Sold in the USA by Allied Radio.

You can write your own review of the Allied Radio A-2516 Receiver.

KD4QFT Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 06:16 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST IN IT;S DAY  Time owned: months
YES YOU ARE CORRECT THE TRIO JR310 WAS THE BETTER MODEL IN IT'S DAY, THE ALLIED A-2516 WAS THE TRIO JR500SE
HAD BOTH MANY YEARS AGO
TRIO JR310 WAS THE BEST IN IT'S DAY

W5JH Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2011 20:58 Send this review to a friend
A-2516 is a Trio JR-500  Time owned: more than 12 months
Colin, The JR310 was a different beast. Do a search on "Trio JR-310 receiver" to see the differences.

KD4QFT Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2010 19:54 Send this review to a friend
English Model  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi
The reason you see Trio stamped all over the rig is it was sold in Europe under the Trio name.
The Uk model was a JR310 had one for many years.
Cost in Uk was 75 pounds sterling on todays exchange about approx $110.
Holdings Photo Audio in Blackburn was a local dealer in those days and his sales gimmick was add on free a speaker, headphones or a top band converter.
I chose the converter
73 Colin G4AZM Wilson Valves.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2009 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Cool old radio, Manual is poor.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
LONG post, sorry.

I collect Vintage receivers. I have wanted a 2516 since reading about it's merits in Electric Radio Magazine. I have a lot of radios from this era (when I was a poor Novice. Now that I'm retired (and still poor!), I collect them when I can).
The fun for me, is buying a radio from good 'ole ePay, er, eBay, and making it as new as I can and working as good (or better) than the day it left the factory.
I guess that everybody knows that this Model (as well as the 2515) is a Trio Model. Trio later morphed into Kenwood, yada, yada.
Allied used both Trio and GRE to make some of their radios. I have no clue about all the manufacturers used.
I have both an SX-190 and AX-190 (GRE) radios and they work VERY well.
A while back, I bought the 2515 and noticed the glass 'dial' was identical to Lafayette radios of that vintage. HOWEVER, the Allied radios used PAINT for the dial lettering, where as Lafayette used some funky water based stencil. Yep, you haven't lived until you remove 50% of the lettering from a Lafayette dial, by touching it. I love the Allied version with paint!

Getting back to the 2516, It had Trio stamped EVERYWHERE, on the trimmers, Xtals etc.
I bought this radio for a song. Of course the seller (an antique dealer) put in the usual disclaimer... "lights up, that's all I know".
I usually disregard these statements, 'cause I LOVE a challange.
I get the radio and it was SO dirty, I did NOT even power it up before disassembly! I'm NOT a 'germaphobe', but the knobs were beyond description with filth. Heck, I couldn't even tell the front panel was Green (as the other poster mentions) until I started cleaning it....

Of course it was dead as a rock. One bad tube. And lo and behold, the 'standby' Octal plug was missing from the rear. Gosh, I can't tell you how many of these nice old radios I've received as 'not working', just because someone lost the plug!
S-meter didn't work, the scale fell off and bound up the needle. ha ha

Anyway, it came to life and I started on the alignment. I must say, the alignment adjustments themselves are VERY smooth. Like an older Collins. NOT like some receivers where just putting a plastic tuning wand NEAR a cap will make the radio drift several KHz.
Several caps were NFG and replaced. Luckily the 3 nsection filter cap passed my ESR test easily.

Alignment is where I ran into problems..... The Manual does NOT match the radio as far as alignment instructions... They tell you to adjust parts that ain't in the radio! That's OK, 'cause I FINALLY figured out what they meant.
Also, they have you do the dial calibration AFTER doing the RF and ANT alignment. HUH? Never seen that before.
Again, that's NO big deal. The VFO adjustments were dead on. The IF alignment was a little off.
(by the way, when they tell you to adjust a transformer core, they don't tell you it has a primary and secondary!) ha ha

The most disturbing of this, is the fact there is NO way to move the xtal oscillator frequency. This had me scratching my head for a LOOOONG time. I guess the xtal is dead on or not. One xtal (28.000 - 28.500) is dead. The xtal for the 40M band is 40 KHz low. Since this xtal is also used for WWV, you guessed it, 40 KHz low. I have never seen a receiver like this. There are Osc slugs, but these just start the xtal and will NOT shift the frequency. I've looked at the schematic for a long time and I've given up. The remainder are dead on.
I really don't need the first 10M xtal and having 40M 'low', is also no big deal. If I ever get some extra $ I might spring for 2 new xtals.

How does it play? Excellent. The sensitivity is surprising. The selectivity while not in the class of an Icom 7800, is fine for casual listening. By the way, the spring loaded gears in the tuning mechanism is a delight. VERY, very smooth and slow. Not bad considering when I got the old girl, the tuning knob was frozen. ha ha.

Again, with the good quality lettering that Trio used, it was an easy clean up. A fresh coat of paint on the top and bottom covers, and two new aluminum knob inserts and it looks many years younger. Like all my radios, it got a new 3 prong power cord.

One last thing.... The P/S runs very warm. I used the unused switch on the RF Gain control and added a 12VDC muffin fan (as I do to all my radios), but this one REALLY needs it!

Sorry folks. I make a major mistake concerning the alignment of this radio.
I was thinking about the initial results I obtained and something just didn't 'seem' right.
So, I went back through the alignment and found another mistake in the alignment instructions.
As stated, the signal generator and receiver are off by a huge ammount.
When I realized this, the alignment went perfectly and pepped up an already sensitive radio.
All bands are right on and so is WWV.

I must have been tired the first time through this process.....

ron
N4UE

W5JH Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2008 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Vintage Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is an amateur bands only receiver covering 80-40-20-15, and all of 10 meters. It also receives WWV at 10 MHz which means it also covers the 30 meter band. It was made in Japan by Trio before they changed their name to Kenwood. Trio called the receiver a JR-500S. It has a built in power supply and runs on 115/230 VAC switchable on the rear panel. It has 7 tubes and 2 transistors and was manufactured between 1969-1971. The two transistors are used for the VFO. It is dual conversion design using IFs of 8.9-9.5 Mhz and 455 KHz. The VFO tunes from 8.445 to 9.045 MHz. It has two mechanical filters in the 455 KHz IF which provides 3KHz selectivity at -6db. The shape factor is not exceptional being about 3.5:1. The main tuning dial uses a gear train with a 28:1 reduction. You end up with 50 KHz per revolution of the main tuning knob. The VFO tunes 600 KHz. The gears are very smooth without any detectable backlash. Frequency readout is to the nearest 1 KHz on the skirt of the main tuning knob. The front panel has very few controls when compared to todays radios. The front panel contains a preselector knob (gear reduced), a band switch, main tuning, RF/IF gain, volume control and finally a function switch (Off/On,SSB,Standby,AM,AM-NL). An external speaker is required. The rear panel has antenna input, VFO output, speaker output, 500 ohm audio output for recording, and a 8 pin octal plug for accessories connections.

Tube line up is:
6BZ6 - RF Amp/Preselector
6BL8 - 1st Mixer/HF oscillator
6BE6 - 2nd Mixer
6BA6 - IF Amp
6BA6 - IF Amp
6AQ8 - Product Detector/BFO
6BM8 - AF Amp

A pair of 2SC185 transistors are used in the VFO. The power supply is solid state using a half wave rectifier circuit with a capacitor input filter. The VFO has a zener diode regulator to stablize the voltage.

I really like the looks of this radio. It has a bold, heavy look - almost military style. The dark OD green/gray front panel and gray cabinet contributes to the bold look. Performance of this radio is actually quite good even in todays standards. Sensitivity is good even on 10 meters. The original specification was I believe 1 uv for 10db s+sn ratio but this receiver does better than that. It is closer to 0.5uv or less for 10db s+sn ratio. Selectivity for SSB/CW is somewhat lacking. The original mechanical filters are very small and do not have enough elements to provide steep skirts. I plan to replace one of the mechanical filters with a Murata 2.4 KHz ceramic filter with a good shape factor. That will improve the selectivity a bit. For CW selectivity, I am planning to use my Heathkit HD-11 Q-Multiplier. Stability is surprizingly good. Very little drift is detectable and it is just on warmup. The mechanical stability is excellent. The receiver uses 2 front panels bact-to-back to achieve a very stiff and rigid front panel. This receiver has a very open layout and should be easy to maintain. There is nothing very tight or hard to get to.

Quirks - This receiver does not have a SSB selection switch. It uses a single BFO crystal. Do to the way the HFO/1st Mixer work, the sideband is "automatically" selected for you. That means on 80 and 40 meters, this receiver copies LSB only and on 20-10 meters it receives USB only. I do not find this to be a problem since I never work the opposite sideband anyway. Because of this design, the VFO tunes in opposite directions for 80-40 vs 20-10 meters.

Overall, I am very pleased with this receiver. If I compare it to other receivers of the same era, it compares very favorably - better than most.