Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-625RD Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-625RD
Yaesu FT-625RD Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 6m all mode 25W base transceiver
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-625RD.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2016 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Low Noise Floor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Yaesu FT-625RD has a quiet receiver. I believe this is due to using a crystal oscillator vs digital synthesizer. It does result in some minor drift during warm up, but is stabile for long term monitoring. Output is a healthy 25 watts. An aftermarket 'brick' amplifier is available for up to 375 watts output.

I compared this receiver to a Yaesu FT-920 and it is as sensitive for weak signal work. These sell for $300-$400 or less expensive than used newer HF rigs with 6 meters and some have a much poorer receiver!

XE1VE3OQC Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2008 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Better than 857D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded another radio for this and was shipped from Pennsylvania to Mexico,..and made it alive!
I had to do a complete alignment on the RX and TX especially on the af and if board,adjust the reglulator for exactly 13.6Vdc.It does drift a little but that can be expected from a 30 year old variable radio.The receive is much better in regards to S/N N/N ratio,where the 857D had a lousy front end.I use a 600 ohm mic and from the last opening a couple of weeks ago I had great reports on the audio.
I just need the CW filter.....any out there?

GW1MCD Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
After many years of searching for this rare commodity I eventually managed to find a "Mint" condition model. Having now used it for more than 2 years I can honestly say " what a beauty".I am quite happy to accept a little frequency drift from the "Old Lady".I have owned several other 6Mtr capable transceivers, all much more modern,but none have matched it.Forget all this ultra modern rubbish..this beauty performs on TX audio and Receive.The only non standard part is the Heil DX4 Microphone.

KE2BP Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2008 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Mic Distortion  Time owned: more than 12 months
Own one of these great radios. Great receiver. Am looking the world for information on this radio,and would be so grateful for this: following questions: I find that If I turn the mic gain past 10 (using a cobra mic that has the same pinout as yaesu) Im getting distortion reports on the air. Bought a goosneck 4 pin yaesu mic and will be trying out. Also seeking an extender board to do alignment on this radio. Would be grateful for any information about this. My call is KE2BP and
email is Mecker@peoplepc.com, good anytime.
423-447-3062

GI0ZGB Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2004 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Classic Drifter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I heard a lot of complimentary remarks about this rig, so when I had the opportunity to buy a mint example I snapped it up. It had received a full service and realignment before sale so I anticipated optimal performance at all times. As has been said before it drifted frequency during warm up and a little plus or minus thereafter but not to an excessive degree. I had read in previous posts about it hearing signals the FT-650 could not - I did not find this to be the case - quite the opposite in fact - even with the SGC ADSP2 switched off. That said there wasn't a lot in it, the FT-625RD clearly having a good front end and low noise floor - far superior to the more modern MP and similar which suffer genetic problems in this area. This is a rig with excellent build quality and character - I liked it quite a lot, but I wouldn't swap it for the FT-650.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2002 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Better "ears" than many newer rigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the FT-625RD for about a month, so this is unusually early for me to write about a rig. Obviously, this one has impressed me.

It's been put side-to-side with an FT-650 and, believe it or not, the FT-625RD could pull out signals that the FT-650 could not. In all fairness, my FT-625RD has been tweaked by a local ham who is very good, and the recommended receiver mods have been done. He claims the rig now matches his FT-920, and I believe it. The proof, though is in the listening and on the air. The FT-625RD is an amazingly sensitive receiver without being prone to overload.

The rig, is of course, older, and is built like a tank. Both receive and transmit audio are excellent. Tuning is smooth across the band. There is some drift until the rig warms up, but then it's rock stable. The receiver noise floor is very low, which is to be expected with an analog VFO and frequency counter combination.

The rig puts out 25W FM, CW, and SSB PEP out ofthe box, and about 8W AM. The memory board is optional and I wish I had one. An optional CW filter can also be added to the rig.

The FT-625RD is an excellent choice, even for the serious 6m operator, even all these years after its initial release.