Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL K40CW Reader/Keyboard/Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL K40CW Reader/Keyboard/Keyer
K1EL K40CW Reader/Keyboard/Keyer Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $36.00
Description: This pretty well has it all - it is a CW reader, keyboard, and keyer for your paddle.
More info: http://www.K1EL.com

You can write your own review of the K1EL K40CW Reader/Keyboard/Keyer.

W4ABW Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 18:23 Send this review to a friend
A pleasure to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the K40 CW Keyboard Keyer in 2007 and put it together along with the CW reader in late 2008. I got the kit, enclouser, display and the CWR and it was pretty easy to assemble. Its works good and looks good on top of my FT-1000MP. I have not added the backlighting yet but have no problem reading the display without it. I am sure the newer model K42 is FB too. I have shown the K40 to a few people and they are amazed to see the plain text on the screen from the transmitted CW. When I first saw it I was pretty amazed too. This kit is a nice asset to my shack. I've worked
249 DXCC counters with 227 confirmed and counting using this kit. Its a winner.
Al, W4ABW

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2009 05:05 Send this review to a friend
solid accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the combo K40 keyer/reader/display. This is a standalone keyboard to radio interface. It works great. The reader is at least as good as trying to read CW thru a sound card (SL-USB here) into your PC, probably better. I really only wanted that function for the harmonics and other shack visitors to be able to visualize the dits and dahs. I am using a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500, no RFI issues at all.

The building part of this unit went well, instructions straightforward, etc. I did have to dig into my parts bin for required hookup wire, either not included, or was overlooked, but a minor issue for such a quality product at a fair price.

My intended use for the keyer portion of this unit is casual CW mostly on 30M, other non contest, and occasional portable ops, and the keyer does this very well. Sometimes it is nice to not have computers involved with ham radio.....I know, that's blasphemy?

And you do have to read the ops manual a little bit at least, to utilize this keyer to it full potential, but it's light reading, worth it.

Great job, K1EL! Also have the WKUSB, reviewed separately.

K7VBY Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2009 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the K40 with the case and CW reader in 2008. The unit has been replaced by the K42 which is similar. The kit instructions were good and my unit worked the first time. The CW reader needs a very good signal for decoding and I find I don't use it most of the time. I use an old PS2 computer keyboard with the keyer and have enjoyed many happy contacts with it. I coiled the cable from the keyboard to the keyer to prevent some feedback problems I was having. I power the keyer from the transceiver and have had no problems. I especially like the type ahead buffer so I can monitor my sending on the display and correct key strokes before the characters are sent. A very good product and highly recommended. The operator on the other end will enjoy the perfect code that comes from this keyer.

AF5U Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2008 19:46 Send this review to a friend
If you like CW - it's great !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you want to copy CW you will need:
K40 CW Keyboard Kit .............$34.00
K40 LCD Display Kit..............$12.00
K40 Enclosure....................$29.00
K40 CW Reader Kit................$36.00
Plus shipping comes to .........$111.00
For this money you get a quality set of modules that all fit into a chassis that looks great, easy to construct, and works for everyone the first time (with very very few exceptions). I am using mine with Icoms IC-765 and IC-706MKIIG. The results are great copy, small, simple, somewhat easy to operate, good documentation, great keyer with my paddle with memory, keyboard is fantastic, you can type a QSO message while the CW reader copies the guy sending - and when it is your turn to send - hit one button to transmit your stored part of the QSO. So it is great for QSOs and contests where you need to send serial numbers and other exchange data. You can take a restroom break and never miss a thing. It does what is specified but will not work with your logging program. I simply use an A/B switch for my keyboard to log on my computer. If you want to log - buy K1EL's Winkeyer. Even Microham uses it. One more thing - the reason it is somewhat easy to operate is - it has a lot of features to learn. Just read the manual over and over again and keep a copy on your operating table until you know the device well.