Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Victor Frequency Counter VC-3165 Help

Reviews Summary for Victor Frequency Counter VC-3165
Victor Frequency Counter VC-3165 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 8-digit LED display
Range and gate time adjustable continuously (100ms - 10s)
Selective range
High stability
Frequency measurement: 0. 01Hz - 2. 4 GHz
Period measurement: 0. 5Ás - 10s
Input sensitivity: 30mV(rms)
Power: AC 110/220V ▒ 10%
More info: http://www.made-in-china.com/china-products/productviewLapEVnmxNQlz/Intelligence-Frequency-Counter-VC3165-.html

You can write your own review of the Victor Frequency Counter VC-3165.

K0KS Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT for the $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
Amazingly stable and has served well when needed. When first unpacked there was a bad feeling ---the power transformer had broken loose but I re-soldered the leads and anchored it down and it has worked fine since. Luckily, no components were demolished. It's a rough flight from China --- I've done it and I hope they have secured the transformer a little better now. Sensitivity seems to be a bit lower than spec but usable at least to 450 MHz and that's where my radios stop at this time. A friend also has one and similar results.

KD0TNH Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Very accurate for me. It's a great deal.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the money, this can't be beat. The transformer, a sizeable one from the sound of it, broke loose during shipping and was rattling around freely. It sounded like it broke all kinds of stuff in the process. LBMART via Amazon replaced it within two days. I used my new Almost All Things Digital frequency reference on the replacement and found it to be spot on every test point.
It's lightweight and feels like there isn't much inside. I originally thought that I would have preferred that they eliminate some of that air in favor of a smaller size but I changed my mind as the size probably helps keep it from moving around. I don't think it would take much abuse, but for the money, that can't be expected. We will see how accurate it stays over time but right now it's practically spot on. Check out the photos on the Amazon review if you want to take a look at how it compares with my HP 5334B. About the only complaint that I have is the display. It's washed out under the shop lights and making matters worse, the clean plastic that they used over that display is extremely reflective making for a lot of glare. I wouldn't hesitate recommending one of these.

PD0AC Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2012 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beaten at this price point  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Victor is an interesting brand in testing equipment. Designed in Japan, but exclusively produced in China, and mostly marketed through eBay. You can find this counter under other names also, such as Velleman.

This counter lives up to its claims with ease. After the required 20 minutes of warming up, the accuracy is spot on. The temperature compensated circuitry is a bonus.

Build quality is OK, but don't expect it to withstand a lot of abuse. This is equipment you don't want to carry around too much.

K2OWK Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2011 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent counter for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this counter for more then a year with no problems. It proformas exactly as described. I find it an excellent piece of test equipment for ham use, I can not understand how they can build a piece of equipment that works this well for the price they charge, oh thats right it is made in China.

ON7PAT Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2010 00:15 Send this review to a friend
replacement of faulty counter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know I have given this counter bad marks on a previous review.
Those comments stand. But it does have to be said, that the company replaced to faulty piece of kit,fast, and with no costs whatsoever to me.
So, that has to count for something.

As far as the qualities of the counter are concerned...well it is good, in the sense that it does what I expected it to do.
A piece of true "lab equipment" is of course hardly to be expected for this price

VE7DTR Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2010 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was quite impressed with this unit for the price. I got it on Ebay for $63.00 + 30.00 shipping.

It seems to work really well. The only thing I can say about the accuracy of this unit is that it displays the expected frequency when I use it on My 2 Meter rig. It's just a little different in selecting the range than other units I have used but certainly very easy to use with only 3 modes to chose from.

ON7PAT Rating: 0/5 Jun 14, 2009 05:02 Send this review to a friend
poor piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took this out of the box.
When I powered this up, I got four leds, bright red, no controls that worked, and that was it.
It is going to cost me a fortune to send it back and at least a months delay in getting a replacement.
Caveat Emptor!!

W0EZI Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one of these a month ago when my Optoelectonics frequency counter I bought in 1981 failed. I have tested the sensitivity and frequency range from 10 hz to 147 mhz. I have no equipment to generate a signal any higher. It performs somewhat better than the published specifications.

I checked the frequency accuracy against a friends counter. I realize this is not the best way to do this but it was all I could do. It measured the same frequency from my 2 meter ht as did my friends counter.

I rated this so high because at a price of 89.95 plus $18 shipping, this counter does a fine job. I have a limited income and paying $400 for another new one like this was out of the question.

There is an undocumented feature (quirkyness) in this counter. If you change the sampling rate with the potentiometer on the front panel, the decimal point and resolution will change automatically. This confused me at first.

The only thing I could say against this test gear is that you could not read the display in sunlight. The display is not particularly bright.