Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool
DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: This tool prepares RG-8, RG-213, 9913F7, LMR-400 (not LMR-400UF) and other similar size PVC or PE jacketed coax cable for installation of a PL-259 connector - or the popular DXE-N1001S two-piece Type N connector. The large diameter knurled handle provides a good grip for easy stripping - you'll really appreciate that after stripping several ends! The DXE web site includes instructional video!
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-ut-8213

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool.

N8YQX Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Must have for every ham  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent tool for preparing the coax for PL-259. It doesn't work with crimp type connector out of the box, but with a very minor modification, it works perfectly.

No more re-stripping the coax, and struggling with stubborn center dielectric.

With this tool, I can install a connector in about 90 seconds.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think this was the first time I put on a connector perfectly...I always had an issue cutting right measurements...This is highly effecient, and easy...

Worth every penny.!

KD4WNI Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 09:26 Send this review to a friend
I love this tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish I had one of these 30 years ago. Installing PL259 connectors has always been a chore I dreaded. Now it is easy using the DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool.

This is a first class professional quality tool that is simple to use. It is a bargain for the price even for a cheapskate like myself.

As with all items I have purchased from DXE it is top quality and they deliver to my door within 48 hours.

W6UV Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2013 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Timesaver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm completely rebuilding my station from the ground up and needed to install around a dozen coax connectors on Davis BuryFlex.

I've installed hundreds of PL-259 connectors in my 32 years as a ham, but stripping coax in preparation for installing connectors has always been one chore I've regarded as tedious to the extreme. I've always done it the traditional way using an X-Acto knife or razor blade and a ruler for getting the dimensions right.

The DXE-UT-8213 changed all of that. What used to take ten minutes now takes ten seconds, and my success rate is 100% -- no nicking conductors or measuring incorrectly, which usually mean cutting off the end of the cable and starting over.

I have not had the problems earlier reviewers report with Davis BuryFlex. The key seems to be letting the tool do the work and not forcing it by applying too much pressure.

I've also switched from solder-style PL-259s to crimp connectors. This has brought my average time to install a connector down from 15 minutes to around 3, with no chance of melting the dielectric or any of the other common mistakes often made when soldering to the braid.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Today, I had the oppourtunity to use a new DX Engineering Complete Coax Cable Prep Kit on my antenna project. I used the UT-8213 and the UT-80P from the kit to install 6 new Amphenol PL-259s onto Davis Bury Flex. The UT-80P works great for screwing the center part of the connector onto the Coax. No more sore or pinched fingers from fighting those pesky connectors with a pair of pliers or channel locks. However, the 80P can become somewhat tight on the connector after installation. I recommend, after you have installed the center part of the connector, you should hold the connector with a pair of pliers as you begin to remove the 80P.

In regard to the UT-8213, as one commenter noted, using the UT-8213 on Davis Bury Flex, has a tendency to curl one or two strands of the center conductor around the rest of the strands. However, through trial and error, I discovered that if you try to be too aggressive with the tool, it resulted in that issue.

Rather, I found if you just firmly but gently twist the tool, and let it do it's work, that seems to resolve the issue for the most part. I suppose there is a learning curve on certain brands of coax.

Overall, I highly recommend the kit, the quality is very good. The stripping and installation tools are heavy anodized aluminum, with replaceable blades. So they should last most amateurs a lifetime. The Coax cable cutters in the kit work well too, the cut cleanly and give a nice square end.

My only gripe about the kit, it did not include an allen wrench to replace the blades, but that is really nit-picking an otherwise fine product.

VE7FMN Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Well made, great performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used this coax prep tool on LMR 400, and 213. I have used it to prep for Pl-259 as well as N connectors. The tool looks great with very fine fit and finish. It functions as good as it looks, right out of the package. It is nice to see that the tool is supported with replacement cutters should the originals wear out. I only wish I had ordered the case as well.
The results are as advertised if one follows the well documented instructions. You can also adjust the depth of cut by eye, should your crimp on connectors use a shorter center conductor length than the tool is designed to give.
DX Engineering's service has been first rate. Emails and phone calls are promptly responded to. They corrected a small documentation error by promptly shipping appropriate replacement parts. Didn't even want the incorrect part sent back. Just so you know.
Deal with confidence?

K1TKL Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Good tool to have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used this on LMR-400 and RG-213, with excellent results. It makes quick work of preparation of the coax.

K9MM Rating: 1/5 Dec 1, 2012 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Inconsistent results  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I first tried this on RG-213 and it worked OK. Then I tried it on Davis RF Bury-Flex, which is what I bought it for, and the result was unacceptable. Most of the time I would end up with one or two strands of the center conductor wrapped around the others. It also didn't consistently remove the center insulation completely. DX Engineering says they have tested it with Bury-Flex. When I told them about the problems I encountered, their response was not helpful. I ended up stripping everything the old-fashioned way, with a very sharp knife. It took longer but the result was much better. Bury-Flex is a very popular cable but this tool can't handle it.

W5SO Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Decided to take the plunge after reading a crimping article here on eham. Received the tool promptly from DXE. I drilled out the center hole so I could strip enough depth for a crimp connector (a bit longer than solder PLs). Have run about 20 cuts so far in LMR 400 and -213. All have been excellent and a real time saver. I did have 2 "1st cuts" on -213 where the outer jacket clogged up around the cutter. No big deal. I do use gloves as suggested in the tutorial. Wish I had this the last 30 yrs.

W2OU Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Coax Prep Tool:DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a club project to assemble jumper cables we first prepared the coax ends using the old school way using a sharp razor, scissors pliers,and strippers. Doing 1or 2 jumpers isn't bad, but doing 20-30 in a single sitting can be frustrating. The problem is complicated when using RG-213 coax where the outer covering slides down the braid with a mind of it's own. One member mentioned the DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool he saw demonstrated at the Hamvention. I ordered the tool and had it in a couple of days. Then the world changed and preparing the coax and installing the solder and crimp connectors was a breeze thanks to the ease of use and perfect results of this prep tool.