Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool
DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: This tool prepares RG-8, RG-213, 9913F7, LMR-400 (not LMR-400UF) and other similar size PVC or PE jacketed coax cable for installation of a PL-259 connector - or the popular DXE-N1001S two-piece Type N connector. The large diameter knurled handle provides a good grip for easy stripping - you'll really appreciate that after stripping several ends! The DXE web site includes instructional video!
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-ut-8213

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool.

KB7ME Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2015 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Good tool, but not for Belden 9913F7  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this tool to use on Belden 9913F7. At the time it was stated to work with this cable. Makes cut 1 great. Cut 2, the cutter gets clogged with trimmings and ruins the cable end. I see DX Engineering now acknowledges this cable may not be compatible.

The tool is well made however, and does work well with other cables.

NS3L Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2015 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Hamshack Toolbox Requirement..!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This has got to be the best thing I ever added to my shack toolbox..!!!

Within minutes I got the hang of using it.. Top thing to remember when using this coax prep tool is to initially go slow and light into the end of the coax.. You gotta let it get the cut started.. FYI...The coax end must be straight cut and round..!!

Another thing to remember..If you try to strong arm it from the beginning, it'll jam and foul right away at the start if you go too hard at it..

It's simple to use.. Slow and easy at the beginning and then add more pressure until it's no longer cutting.. It cuts like butter and leaves a perfect first cut with nice little twisties on the ground....

Second cut is just as simple and I had a dozen ends prepped in a half hour ready for connectors..

For me it worked flawlessly with DXE400MAX, DXE213 and RG8.. If it can handle those, it'll handle anything...

Steve NS3L...

N9DQ Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2015 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Worked perfect for me.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was very pleased with the DXE-UT-8213. I use it all the time and I just love to use it. It makes the cuts just the way I like them.

NS0R Rating: 0/5 May 17, 2015 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Not a great experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this tool along with 500 feet of RG-213 from DXE. This tool was a big disappointment. It doesn't like the solid polyethylene dielectric on the RG-213. It has a very tough time cutting it and in the process causes the cable to twist inside the jacket. I used up about 8 feet of coax repeatedly trying everything that I could think of to get this to work. In the end, this became a $40 paperweight for me. I can do a much better job with a box cutter.

KC6KNL Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2015 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Makes a professional strip every time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been aware of this tool for quite some time, but I never purchased due to the price.

I had a recent incident that required the replacement of 100' of RG8U and 75' of RG8X in the backyard, which got chewed up by either a dog or squirrel(s).

This was basically 100' of RG8 connected to the WA2NAN G5RV, which came with 75' of RG8x. The RG8x was chewed up into 5 pieces. There was 21' left, which I wound into a choke coil.

I had purchased this tool from an eBay seller for $40 plus $11 shipping. I saved 14 dollars vs buying from DXEngineering.

I am waiting on 150' of Davis Bury Flex from a different eBay Seller.

The tool arrived. I cut off a 2 foot section of my RG8 cable to test with the tool. I struggled with cutting the cable with a large set of cutters.

I pushed one end of the RG8 into the tool. Rotated the tool and saw the black jacket curl out of the opening, shielded shavings come out, and saw the foam dielectric insulator curl up inside the tool.

When I was done, I pulled the cable out. I had a perfect coax cable cut. The coax jacket, shielding, and dielectric insulator were cut flat and flush with almost one inch of center conductor sticking out of the cable.
Total time: 15 seconds.

I turned the tool around and pushed the cable into the second hole. Rotated the the tool and kept pressure on the cable. The black outer jacket was curling out of the tool.

When I was done, I pulled the cable out. I now had a cable that had a 1" center conductor exposed, with another 3/4" - 1" section below that had the dielectric insulator and braided shield perfectly cut without the outer jacket.
Total Time: 15 seconds.

This RG8 Cable was ready for a PL259 Connector. Profesionally stripped and cut.

I was so excited at how well this tool worked, I ordered the DXEngineering UT-KIT1-D kit, asking them to substitute the UT-808X instead of the UT-8213.

Once you use this tool, you will never go back to manually cutting and stripping Coax.

The UT-808X stripper cuts a little different but works just as well.

Also, recommend the DXEngineering CNL-911 - Coaxial cable shears. This cutter cuts RG8 with little effort and gives you a very clean flat cut.

Just get the DXEngineering kit so that you have the right tools and a nice case to keep the tools in.

With this tool, I was able to prep 2 feet of RG8 Coax in under a minute, both ends. Professional quality cut and strip.

AC4R Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 05:42 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Throw away your cheap plastic stripper. This one is the winner. Strips RFC-400 coax to the exact specs for the pl259 connector. I use amphenol crim on connectors #182130 and the stripper works great. '

AC4R

N8YQX Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Must have for every ham  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent tool for preparing the coax for PL-259. It doesn't work with crimp type connector out of the box, but with a very minor modification, it works perfectly.

No more re-stripping the coax, and struggling with stubborn center dielectric.

With this tool, I can install a connector in about 90 seconds.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think this was the first time I put on a connector perfectly...I always had an issue cutting right measurements...This is highly effecient, and easy...

Worth every penny.!

KD4WNI Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 09:26 Send this review to a friend
I love this tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish I had one of these 30 years ago. Installing PL259 connectors has always been a chore I dreaded. Now it is easy using the DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool.

This is a first class professional quality tool that is simple to use. It is a bargain for the price even for a cheapskate like myself.

As with all items I have purchased from DXE it is top quality and they deliver to my door within 48 hours.

W6UV Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2013 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Timesaver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm completely rebuilding my station from the ground up and needed to install around a dozen coax connectors on Davis BuryFlex.

I've installed hundreds of PL-259 connectors in my 32 years as a ham, but stripping coax in preparation for installing connectors has always been one chore I've regarded as tedious to the extreme. I've always done it the traditional way using an X-Acto knife or razor blade and a ruler for getting the dimensions right.

The DXE-UT-8213 changed all of that. What used to take ten minutes now takes ten seconds, and my success rate is 100% -- no nicking conductors or measuring incorrectly, which usually mean cutting off the end of the cable and starting over.

I have not had the problems earlier reviewers report with Davis BuryFlex. The key seems to be letting the tool do the work and not forcing it by applying too much pressure.

I've also switched from solder-style PL-259s to crimp connectors. This has brought my average time to install a connector down from 15 minutes to around 3, with no chance of melting the dielectric or any of the other common mistakes often made when soldering to the braid.