Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Fox Delta Kits Help

Reviews Summary for Fox Delta Kits
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: A variety of low cost kits for the ham.
More info: http://www.foxdelta.com

You can write your own review of the Fox Delta Kits.

N4WGY Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered a FoxDelta AAZ-0713A antenna analyzer kit from the vendor in India. Arrived is less than 10 days.

The AAZ-0713A is a basic antenna SWR analyzer operating from 1 thru 30 MHz. Analysis functions and data acquisition are performed thru a Windows software tool and a USB or Serial interface to the analyzer. If using USB, the analyzer is powered by the USB +5.

The kit packaging quality was very good, all components labeled in individual little ziploc bags.

All SMD components come pre-soldered, no cost savings option to buy the kit with the SMD components unattached.

PCB trace and pad quality appeared fair to good, silk screening is OK, no errors. It's not a top grade PCB, but its absolutely not junk either.

Sub component quality appeared very good, measured the caps and coils with my LC and they were all very well within their tolerances. The DDS circuit is one of the 9850's so popular from China. The controller is a PIC.

Assembly instructions I grade as poor to fair at best. I had no problems finishing the assembly by cross referencing the good quality schematic, BOM and finished circuit card assembly pictures. However for someone who has little technical circuit design or assembly experience this kit could be a frustration. There are NO step by step assembly instructions a-la Heathkit.

Completing the circuit card assembly and conducting some pre-powerup checks took about 2 hours.

The free Windows software from FoxDelta for interfacing to the analyzer seems to work quite well thru the USB interface. Had no problems whatsoever installing the tool or interfacing/recognizing the device (Win7).

The software has a calibration routine which the utility asks to be run each time the utility is opened. Cal routine takes approximately 10 seconds to complete.

There are a number of analysis options in the utility: sweep resolution, spectrum sweep limits, multiple sweep plots, plot presentation types and some others. I finished building the thing one night before writing this review and have spent a total of 30 minutes playing with the functions so have not come close to wiggling all of the knobs yet. Did run some sweeps on my home brewed hexbeam and 40/80 meter trapped dipole, very good data which jives with plots taken with MUCH more expensive analyzer instruments.
For $35 shipped from India I think the kit is a genuinely fantastic bang for the buck. Tis a Shame the unit cannot readily accommodate 6 and 2 meters as I'd happily pay double the $35 for that!

KO4NR Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AAZ-0713A antenna analyzer, GCPU-0613, SWM3 Power Meter, and the Dual Scale HF Bridge. As of recently all kits but the Dual Scale Bridge can be purchased assembled. The web site provides a secure online purchase and the communications after the sale were professional and timely. I have quite an array of test instruments now and spent a little of $200.00 for all four!!

I have put the AAZ-0713A antenna analyzer and the GCPU to work in the shack with good results. I've used the antenna analyzer to check my antenna and to adjust my tuner. In both cases it worked great with the GCPU and my computer. It can be used either with your computer utilizing the free software or with the GCPU for remote operations. Either way it has been a very useful tool for me.

The Fox Delta web site provides a wealth of user information and requires you to read carefully and thoroughly. Some of the information may be dated so if in doubt just send an email to the Fox Delta Yahoo Group and an answer will be sent soon. In fact the Fox Delta support is outstanding in my opinion. My questions were answered timely and in a very friendly manner even though all I really had to do was read the instructions on the web site. I am impressed and grateful to the Fox Delta team for the time they invest in developing the kits and maintaining the web site. This is just their hobby and not a big business venture. When considering the time they have to invest in providing the kits and support they obviously love the hobby!!

I was pleasantly surprised by the free software provided for the antenna analyzer. It is a professional product that really adds great functionality to the antenna analyzer.

I'll update the review after I assemble the HF Dual Scale bridge and get more time under my belt with all the instruments.
Bill Smith
KO4NR

AD6KA Rating: 3/5 Oct 4, 2013 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Could Better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built Th Fox Delta 100w HF PIC/LCD SWR Bridge/Power Meter. It took a long time to arrive. The parts and PC boards are decent quality but the kit requires 5 different styles of PC Board Male & Female headers, which arrived *unmarked* in my kit. (Usually not a problem, BUT the kit has three PC boards and the spacing between boards, which of course is dependent on the headers, is critical. ALSO, the headers were not cut to size, nor was that having to cut them to size evenmentioned in the "instructions"(i.e. a 10 pin header cut into 2 4-pin headers, with 2 pins to throw away)
I say "Instructions" in quotes because there ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS LIKE A KIT. Just a few schematics
and drawings, maybe 4 photos of completed project.

ZL3DW Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2013 01:05 Send this review to a friend
3kits  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built the 200W/2kW power meter, basic soundcard interface and the antenna analyzer. Excellent support and service from Fox Delta, one fault with an unsoldered pin on a SMD device (meant to be pre-soldered by FD) also a wierd fault on a pre-made cable (not Fox Delta's fault I expect)it had one open circuit wire causing no backlight on the power meter display, I expect FD purchased it that way. It was crimped and looked ok but was oc. Cases are pretty poor quality everything else, documentation, kit quality and support is excellent.

W3SQE Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Analyzer Kit AAZ-0912   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great little kit, the electronics side is easier than the computer side and I'm good with PC's. This kit connects via USB and usually requires a firmware update which like the software is free. Kit was $54 plus shipping. Nice printable plots. Updates in real time so you can look at the monitor as you tune the antenna. Great for optimizing dipoles at home and the Hamsticks in the car.

All the info is on the site, just not together so to speak. This is a growing pain that will likely improve with time. Also watch out on XP, 7 is much easier.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Fox Delta Antenna Analyzer AAZ-0912  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Fox Delta AAZ-0912 Antenna Analyzer comes in two flavors, one with the surface mount components already installed or you can solder them yourself. I don't have to tools for surface mount so I ordered the kit with them already installed.

All the parts were present and accounted for, the instructions are pretty straight forward. There is a small test procedure that can be done with a simple volt meter before installing any IC's.

The kit went together easily (I've built a few kits in my time) and everything tested fine. After IC installation you will need to upgrade the firmware which is also a simple process and do a quick calibration of the unit which again is not hard. I connected it to my HF antenna and the software fed the information I already knew but I wanted to test it on a known source.

Bottom line - easy to build, worked perfect first time out, all parts accounted for and they even throw in a box to mount it in. I would definitely purchase another kit from Fox Delta.

EA3FOS Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 07:16 Send this review to a friend
sc2 Sound Card Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good components, outsanding PC Boad, glass fiber, two sides, fully tinned holes, well designed.
Very well packed, but: No Instructions Manual, when and why position DIP Switches are to be set for and what to do with the Delay and Battery contacts. Good only for people with enough knowledge. Despite of that, strongly recommended, but have patience, Indian Mail might make you upset.

OH2JXA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 11:59 Send this review to a friend
FC-2a Freq. Counter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
400MHz PIC Frequency Counter.
A very enjoyable and useful for home builders project. No SMD components (good for my eyes),reasonable price,6 days delivery.