Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts
Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Quote
Description: Unbalanced to unbalanced transmission line transformers and custom wound baluns and ununs built by Balun Designs.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2013 12:21 Send this review to a friend
A GAME CHANGER: 9 TO 1 UNUM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I 've had a lot of struggles and expenses with antennas in my TOTALLY RESTRICTED neighborhood. I've removed four or five antenna, paid $1,200 to the HOA attorney to drop the court summons, and have dealt with two attorneys, one of which was an unethical ARRL volunteer attorney. I should have reported him to the Kansas Bar. MY neighborhood is full of spies who patrol the streets daily with their dogs, and I would not be surprised if they rented drones to make additional surveys! I have an attic antenna and I even hear foot steps in the roof. I never give up and after over five years I finally found out how to become invisible. I live in a nice one-story duplex and my roof is maybe twenty feet high. The surface area is small. I bought a Balum Design 9 to 1 unum, #9135, installed it on the side of the house, just under the roofline. I attached 36 feet of quality black antenna line, mostly under the shingles and down and around contours of the roof. The antenna is totally invisible from the ground and HOA antenna spotters can't see it. I attached 50' of coax, ran it down and around the bushes in the front, and used a window jumper to access a bedroom. My antenna analyzer shows all bands, 80 through 6 meters with a tunable SWR, using either the on-board or an external tuner. The quality of construction, engineering and design of this balum is excellent. This unit is ideal for the CIA, KGB , MI15, Mossad, etcetera. This product is a real GAME CHANGER.

KD0NFY Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2013 14:30 Send this review to a friend
9:1 UNUN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second order from Bob. As usual, great product at a fair price with great service. The 9:1 unun works as described and produces great results for what it is. No magic here, it makes for a compromise antenna but it's a good compromise. The internal tuner on my radio will finally get put to use. Thanks Bob!

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 12:28 Send this review to a friend
9:1 UNUN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got a random 75'/25' two line wire antenna. Recommended by Balun Designs, this balun does a great job, my tuner tune 10 through 160. It does well with my compromised antenna situation here and allows me to work DX CW. This UNUN is professionally well built, and customer service is outstanding. 73, John, K0FTC

KC9TNH Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 08:59 Send this review to a friend
9:1 UNUN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have used Bob's excellent products before. This UNUN was specifically to make a short-length field-expedient end-fed, to fill a niche in the 20-17-15m area. It is used with a manual tuner and the results easily allow a worst 1.5:1 SWR. The short-length end-fed is no magical solution and it's not purveyed as such. It works, it's a light antenna solution; it's about commo, not who has the best +30 over studio quality audio.

It does exactly what it is supposed to do, the quality is outstanding and Bob's easygoing willingness to engage in discussion on a project is always welcome. The UNUN happily took full-boogie out of my amplifier too. I'll probably keep this one in place & see if he can make a less-robust/lighter one based on his QRP enclosure for the rucksack where 100w would be alot.

As with my other current baluns from Bob, everything is top-notch. Pay once, cry once folks. Balun Designs' stuff is worth every penny.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought an UNUN for my S9 2010 field day vertical and it worked right off the bat with 700 watts PEP over the course of 9 hours. Highly recommended and Bob's customer service is awesome.

73 delwyn KH6DC

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 11:27 Send this review to a friend
The GOLD stardard among baluns!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchased several different types of baluns from Bob over the past few years and every one of them has stood the test of time, weather and sometimes - power and swr abuse. While others may copy his designs(and you know who) Bob's products are truly an outstanding example of superior design and craftmanship. Don't settle for a cheaper substitute...go with Balun Designs and save yourself a lot of grief later on.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Great products, OUTSTANDING customer service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have purchased several products from Balun Designs. I have also spent some serious "quality time" on the phone discussing my setup and how to use their products.

Bottom line: their products work, and the customer service is TOP-NOTCH. I even had to return a product when I found that my setup was not as I had originally intended. No issues there either (they stand by their published return policy, without any hassles or grief).

I would eagerly do business with this company again.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Products & Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a 1:1 QRP balun for my 1st HF dipole. Due to money considerations and wanting some portability, I ordered the smaller, QRP balun. Bob told me that the dual core would deliver better performance but that the single core QRP (rated at 300 watts) would still do fine. We talked on several occasions during my planning process (OCFD 4:1 plans turned into a 1:1 fan dipole due to some tree limbs in the way), and I placed my order. It arrived about a week later. While tightening down a connector, I noticed the 239 was rotating. Examining it, I noticed that the center lead had stressed to the point of breaking. I called Bob at noon on Friday to tell him. He said that was the first time he'd had one do that and said he would make one right then, and mail it out "that" day. I'm sure he had to make a special trip to the post office. It arrived in Monday's mail and I returned the first one. So far, it is doing well, and it seems like there is less line noise than I had with a coax loop air balun. It did hurt the wallet a bit to pay for him making it, but it is high quality work. I definitely plan on buying from him again.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2010 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Built It Yourself....Not!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 4:1 (1:4?) unun that
Balun Designs makes for 43-ft verticals. Now, baluns/ununs are not mysterious; get hold of Dr. Jerry Sevick's books and you can see how simple they are. Here's the catch: If your labor is worth anything you can not build a product to match Balun Design's quality for less money, For example, if you needed to purchase the major components:
2 ea FT-240 cores: $20
10 ft. #14 Thermaleze wire: $4
10 ft. #12 teflon tubing: $4
Scotch brand fiberglass tape: $2
1 SO-239 connector: $4
Stainless steel hardware: $2
Raintight enclosure: $5
TOTAL: $41

For an additional $35, Bob KZ5R builds your balun/unun at a level of detail and quality that only comes from the experience of building many units. If you have a junkbox full of components, go ahead and build your own. But if you want a high quality, High Power, unit, Balun Designs' products are a great deal.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara CA

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 09:34 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased two 4:1 Current Balun 1.5-40 Mhz for Dipole/Yagi 3kw4113e-Eyebolts on sides, to use in constructing OCF dipoles for our EOC and my go-kit. The construction is top notch. Delivery was prompt. Definitely a place to look if you need baluns/ununs!