Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts
Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Quote
Description: Unbalanced to unbalanced transmission line transformers and custom wound baluns and ununs built by Balun Designs.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs Unun\'s and custom builts.

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 11:27 Send this review to a friend
The GOLD stardard among baluns!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchased several different types of baluns from Bob over the past few years and every one of them has stood the test of time, weather and sometimes - power and swr abuse. While others may copy his designs(and you know who) Bob's products are truly an outstanding example of superior design and craftmanship. Don't settle for a cheaper substitute...go with Balun Designs and save yourself a lot of grief later on.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Great products, OUTSTANDING customer service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have purchased several products from Balun Designs. I have also spent some serious "quality time" on the phone discussing my setup and how to use their products.

Bottom line: their products work, and the customer service is TOP-NOTCH. I even had to return a product when I found that my setup was not as I had originally intended. No issues there either (they stand by their published return policy, without any hassles or grief).

I would eagerly do business with this company again.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Products & Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a 1:1 QRP balun for my 1st HF dipole. Due to money considerations and wanting some portability, I ordered the smaller, QRP balun. Bob told me that the dual core would deliver better performance but that the single core QRP (rated at 300 watts) would still do fine. We talked on several occasions during my planning process (OCFD 4:1 plans turned into a 1:1 fan dipole due to some tree limbs in the way), and I placed my order. It arrived about a week later. While tightening down a connector, I noticed the 239 was rotating. Examining it, I noticed that the center lead had stressed to the point of breaking. I called Bob at noon on Friday to tell him. He said that was the first time he'd had one do that and said he would make one right then, and mail it out "that" day. I'm sure he had to make a special trip to the post office. It arrived in Monday's mail and I returned the first one. So far, it is doing well, and it seems like there is less line noise than I had with a coax loop air balun. It did hurt the wallet a bit to pay for him making it, but it is high quality work. I definitely plan on buying from him again.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2010 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Built It Yourself....Not!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 4:1 (1:4?) unun that
Balun Designs makes for 43-ft verticals. Now, baluns/ununs are not mysterious; get hold of Dr. Jerry Sevick's books and you can see how simple they are. Here's the catch: If your labor is worth anything you can not build a product to match Balun Design's quality for less money, For example, if you needed to purchase the major components:
2 ea FT-240 cores: $20
10 ft. #14 Thermaleze wire: $4
10 ft. #12 teflon tubing: $4
Scotch brand fiberglass tape: $2
1 SO-239 connector: $4
Stainless steel hardware: $2
Raintight enclosure: $5
TOTAL: $41

For an additional $35, Bob KZ5R builds your balun/unun at a level of detail and quality that only comes from the experience of building many units. If you have a junkbox full of components, go ahead and build your own. But if you want a high quality, High Power, unit, Balun Designs' products are a great deal.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara CA

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 09:34 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased two 4:1 Current Balun 1.5-40 Mhz for Dipole/Yagi 3kw4113e-Eyebolts on sides, to use in constructing OCF dipoles for our EOC and my go-kit. The construction is top notch. Delivery was prompt. Definitely a place to look if you need baluns/ununs!

AB2RC Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 08:11 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a 4:1 300 W QRP (must be some new definition of QRP) unun a few weeks ago to use with my homebrew 31' vertical, and could not be happier. Looks great, quality construction, and the antenna works better than I had expected.

AF1J Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2010 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Great products!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Cushcraft R-6000 had suffered from the extreme conditions of South Florida. The MN-6000 matching network was ruined by UV and water. I contacted Robert at Balun Designs and explained my situation. He asked that I send the MN-6000 and let him take a look. He rebuilt the MN-6000 with a new balun and unun and a new case. His workmanship and attention to detail are superb. The R-6000 now works better than ever.

KB3Z Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2009 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced my DX Engineering 4:1 Unun with a Balun Design 4:1 Unun. It was much easier to install on the Vertical plus it gets better SWR's on the higher frequencies. Overall I am completely satisfied. Dealing with Bob was extremely easy. If you are looking for a good vertical Unun, please call Balun Designs.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2009 13:34 Send this review to a friend
What can i say -- BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob and his products are the best.
I made the dumb mistake in my order and notified Bob i needed Unun for my vertical that i was making
well Bob service in less then a week turn around time my vertical was up and running.
73 de
w3nrl
P.S.
Bob
w2dwl also sends his best to you as well!!!!

NL7Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Unparalleled product support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob K5ZR and his business deserve an extra gift from Santa this Christmas. I had him wind a custom Unun for the feedpoint of my 160M Inv-L with elevated radials, as I was having some reactance issues. The first one was good, but we both felt it still needed a bit of adjustment.

On a weekend, Bob asked I e-mail feedpoint and shack impedance measurements, and a picture of the Unun's internals. He researched the issue in Sevick's writings, and promptly e-mailed back a suggested simple wiring change for me to make via my picture, which I promptly did.

Imagine my pleasure to find that his idea worked, yielding a 1.5:1 SWR at the feedpoint, and a 1.0:1 in the shack after further impedance transformation from my 85' of LMR400 coax. The 1.5:1 bandwidth is now 1800 to 1840 in the shack. Plenty good enough.

Not many builders and sellers of Amateur radio equipment would have stuck with the experiment until it was done. Bob did.