Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DXE-AOK-17M Help

Reviews Summary for DXE-AOK-17M
DXE-AOK-17M Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$49.95
Description: The DX Engineering DXE-AOK-17M kit adds 17 meter coverage to the Hustler BTV series of vertical antennas without giving up any existing band coverage. This kit will operate across the entire 17m band with an SWR of 1.5:1 or less.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=1465&PLID=141&SecID=63&DeptID=22&PartNo=DXE-AOK-17M

You can write your own review of the DXE-AOK-17M.

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Surprised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally added 17M to my 4-btv antenna the homebrew way but this item looked better and took up less space on the antenna. So about six years ago I bought this item from DX Engineering.

It had held up to the weather and still looks the same as it did six years ago.

My vertical is ground mounted with radials and I always figured the DXE-AOK-17M was working okay but nothing spectacular. However I recently put up a 17M dipole antenna at 35 feet and to my surprise the little add-on for my 4-btv was performing exactly the same as a dipole.

I thought the dipole would out perform the DXE-AOK-17M in every aspect.......but it did not. I am very happy! And now I can take that 17M dipole down and put up a different dipole for a different band because that DXE-AOK-17M works so well. Built well and easy to install AND works as well as my dipole at 35 feet.

KK4KYJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Money Well Spent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very well made add-on for the Hustler 4BTV vertical antenna allowing one to operate on 17M. The instructions provided by DX Engineering were as usual very helpful. The 17M add on was very easy to install, and my You Kit FG-01 antenna scope made childs play of tuning it up. I often run 500W on the BTV4 on 17M and have enjoyed many contacts from Scotland into Eastern Europe. 17M is the best Dx band I have now. In my experience, buying Hustler products from DX Engineering assures that you have all the parts you need, understand how to install them and why the device needs to be set up the way they tell you to. Many years ago, I raced a 1972 VW Beetle and bought all reciprocating and rotating parts from Gene Berg Ent. simply because they came with great instructions and expert advice. I get that same comfortable feeling from buying from Dx Engineering.

N7WE Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Finishes out the Hustler!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Added 17m and the 12m add-ons to a ground mounted 6BTV over good radials DX Eng always has great instructions and this was no exception. Went on quick and easy, tuned by just sliding the Hot Rodz. I had spent a good deal of time getting to X=0 on the original installation and this add-on had only minimal impact on the resonance on other bands. Not enough to justify re-tuning.

Performance is great! My Hustler is now a 8BTV!

WX2S Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Mind the power rating!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works fine for the specified max power of 850 watts, and I've gotten some good DX on 17m with this add-on. Above that, the SWR started to shoot up after about a second of continuous input. I can only guess that something was melting, expanding, softening, or otherwise becoming unhappy.

WB0KZB Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2010 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nothing speaks like results. Relatively easy to install and tune. Tuned to 1.1 and no more than 1.5 across the entire band. (note: if you have a well grounded vertical, the 'Hot-Rodz' will be tuned much shorter than the manual suggests and you will have to re-tune most of the traps) Made a contact right away and several since. So far it's survived a big wind storm, snow storm and ice storm. Also installed the 12 meter adapter at the same time. The Tech Support at DXE is great! Called and talked to someone that really knew what they were doing. Advised me to put the 17 meter and 12 meter adapters 90 degrees out of phase for slightly better SWR.

K0BE Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 11:13 Send this review to a friend
My answer to a 17 mtr ant with lots of trees  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted to have a 17mtr ant. this seemed to be the answer for my 4BTV.
My vertical is on the ground with radials. Which I Got from DX Eng also. It was easy to install and adjust. SWR is great, on all bands. The instructions were very good.I like it very much.

VE1VOX Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent bang for the buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This add on works great! Easily installed and tuned. I received it late last fall and worked lots of new ones. Even busted the pile up of K5D with 100 watts. Well built, it should last a long time.

N6CRR Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this add on installed on my BT5V for about a year, and it does what it says it does, add 17 meters to the antenna.

I did not completely follow the instructions by resetting my lengths before starting the install, but all worked well in the end. The performance on 17 is what you would expect from a Vertical, nothing spectacular, nothing terrible, but it does work.

If you have a BTxV and want to try out 17 meters, I would recommend this part as a low cost way to try out the band. One note, this device is not recommended for the QRO set with a rating of only 700 watts, which is fine for me.